1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Norsemans on Grimsmo’s website

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by drfoil, Aug 29, 2019.

1. drfoil

drfoil Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I was just browsing Grimsmo’s website and noticed they now have a section labeled Norseman inventory with about a dozen knives for immediate sale. I wonder if this means interest in the model is waning? What do y’all think? It seems like these have been so difficult to come by for so long that maybe the hype is dying down.

2. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I know on reddit people try to give away their spot when they get picked for one reason or another.

marrenmiller likes this.
  3. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I know that people are definitely not paying the stupid premium they once were for a second hand one.

Second hands were selling for $1500 no problem

Now $900 is considered pretty ambitious.

They made the RASK so people want that now. They think “I can have a Grismo that doesn’t look like a misshapen turd.”

sechip, mycough and colin.p like this.
  4. cashville

cashville Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Also, I believe they have upped their rate of production by a good bit. They just aren’t nearly as rare now.
    I think supply has basically just caught up to demand at this point

5. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I agree, the Norseman is a cool knife but the recurve blade it almost unusable for real life and the rask looks much more usable to me... imo rask looks like a holt spectre almost and jsut as beautiful.

6. Mechanical Advantage

Mechanical Advantage

Nov 1, 2017
    I agree - supply drives demand.

And I'm also glad I'm not to only one who isn't smitten with the Norseman's blade shape. I mean, it's cool, but I can't imagine it being as effective as a nice drop point. Also, I'd kind of feel like a mall ninja pulling one out in front of non-knife people.

7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Yes but the shoppers at the malls you would be at, after paying the stupidly expensive price for a Grimsmo, would all be wearing tuxedos and top hats. High class mall ninjas for sure...

Lapedog likes this.
  8. 7east

7east Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I bought a new Norseman last year, sold it, and then missed it so much that I tracked down the third owner 6 months later and bought it back. I do agree with the mall ninja'iness and not quite optimal blade shape, but the build quality can't be denied. I was surprised when my name came up on their lottery for a second time though. When I declined (mainly due to anodizing colors--and the fact that I bought back my previous knife) they had a questionnaire as to why I turned it down. One of the questions was 'if this was a Rask, would you buy it?'. So I think there's a lot of built up demand for the Rask, as well as the supply of Norseman's finally meeting demand. I do plan on buying a Rask when/if my name comes up or they end up being listed on Grimsmo's site.

9. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Seems easy to buy one second hand. I'm surprised i haven't seen threads complaining they use RLW34 on a 1,000$ knife when other brands get complaints for using the same steel on a $400 knife.
    I try to stay away from items that have value in "hype" that quickly diminishes

razorburn and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  10. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Do people even use them? Most of the time I just see people put them up and say "3rd owner, never used, just taken out for pictures".

I guess I just don't understand buying a knife or tool and not using it lol

11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Tried my luck at the Norseman lottery long ago - interest passed.. prices went sky high. If I recall these were several hundred less originally. Price increased due to demand. Anyway, at $925 it needs better scales and damasteel blade.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  12. ColoradoHoldout

ColoradoHoldout

Jul 18, 2019
    The bubble burst, baby. Prices are going down, and so is the interest now that there are more out in the world. It is still a sweet knife and people still want it, but that crazy high pricetag and mythical reputation couldn't last forever.

13. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I never understood the draw, the blade looks like someone said "give me a combination of a hawkbill and a tanto, but make sure it gets the worst qualities of both shapes". I mean, with a tanto, at least you have a straight edge and it's not a recurve; and with a hawkbill at least you have a really acute point. The Norseman? No straight edge, enjoy that recurve, no belly, no acute point . . . but hey, you've got that chisel bit at the end that will be super handy. It's like the moronic Strider "nightmare grind", straight up lolwut territory to me.

I'd have a lot easier time buying a Rask. Also, people paying as much as they do for a Norseman should probably get better materials.

14. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Back then when I was a newbie I was once super warm with the Norsemans. I've searched everywhere looking for a good deal but never found one. Soon enough, I start to understand they are asking the Top Top price for a production knife. 3 times as much as a CRK knife!!!
    People were simply paying for the Perceptions instead of quality or such. For a design as unique as a the Norsemans, a price of $200-$400 is pretty fair.

15. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Grimsmo, just open your friggin books again for Rask preorders. Oh, and Holt, you too!

Sharp & Fiery and aboynamedsue like this.
  16. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    I got lottery selected for a Norseman a few months back after being registered for about 5 months. I ended up passing because I had narrowed my tastes to a smaller, more EDC knife. The Rask had my name all over it (which is now in production). But more recently I came across the Shirogorov NeOn Zero and got tired of waiting for the Rask. In my mind it is a comparable knife at several hundred dollars less.

So back in late 2018 Grimsmo could have had $2K of my money. Now they get nothing.

17. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    Norseman= weird. That Rask on the other hand... To me that rask is a nice design, I would carry one.

Russ

18. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    For those of you guys wondering why the Norseman blade is shaped the way it is a to throw in my own hypothesis.

The design keeps alot of mass near the tip of blade thus contributes to the action / drop shut.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  19. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    So would you call it a modified-batarang shape then?

20. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Ugliest blade type out there IMO, lol $900.

Now the Rask on the other hand, I like those.