Norsemans on Grimsmo’s website

Seems easy to buy one second hand. I'm surprised i haven't seen threads complaining they use RLW34 on a 1,000$ knife when other brands get complaints for using the same steel on a $400 knife.
I try to stay away from items that have value in "hype" that quickly diminishes

Isn't RWL34 just ATS34 made with modern PM techniques?

I don't even keep S30v or S35vn knives anymore. Much less ATS34 or 154cm knives. No way I'd pay $900 for a new one.

Norseman was always a no for me. Rask...right up my alley. Im Canadian and I asked John for a Canadian price when i was at bladeshow...he said no, we only deal in USD. So guess what...no Rask for me. Im not paying to convert my Canadian funds for US dollars just to drive down the street to hand over USD to buy a knife right here in Canada. (Head shaking). They may make good knives, but they are not businessmen. Now Grimsmo Knives are a no-go for me...Ill keep giving my money to CRK and Thorburn.
Thats my rant. I’m out!

Edit to add: I felt up the Rask at BS. Felt like a cheap toy. Now...that Spectre and the Holt’s, super nice knife, and amazing people!

Last edited:
I’ll add that earlier this year I picked up a Norseman when my name came up in the lottery. Great knife, amazing fit and finish. But yea, I don’t carry it too much. I find it a tad big for my daily carry. I’m glad I bought it and I was excited when I heard the Rask was going back into production. Now earlier this month my name came up for a Holt Specter and I grabbed one of those too. I’m pretty blown away by it and I just can’t see myself spending what a Rask will cost. I’d love one to do a side by side, but I can’t justify it.

For those of you guys wondering why the Norseman blade is shaped the way it is a to throw in my own hypothesis.

The design keeps alot of mass near the tip of blade thus contributes to the action / drop shut.
When the design came out, there wasn't really a demand for drop shut blades. It does help, but I wouldn't say that's the driving factor behind the design given the time frame.

It seems all those Norsemen on the site have sold out. So there's still demand for them at retail price, even if it's not to the point of extreme price inflation.

As far as my opinion on the Norseman; I own one, but don't carry it often. It's made well and is interesting, so it stays in the collection. The blade shape works just as well as any of my other knives for normal utility tasks.

To those who are befuddled by knives that go unused: If I only kept knives I used - I'd only have one pocket knife. And I'd save myself the $30 it costs for a gold membership each year.

When the design came out, there wasn't really a demand for drop shut blades. It does help, but I wouldn't say that's the driving factor behind the design given the time frame.

The dropshutness was just an unforeseen feature. I think the real reason was more for opening the knife.

Alot of mass at the end of the blade would mean a good openining flipping action.

I think Shabazz added to that frenzy too. Remember that was his "All be" knife? I too was picked on the lottery and let it pass. I wanted one but their whole process just annoyed me. Also, I see a lot of knives sticking around now. Even a popular youtuber that has a weekly sale has knives sticking around now. That never happened before. I think also, the recession fears are getting people thinking twice about luxury item purchases because when a recession hits, not if, but when, since we are overdue, those knives with be sticking around even longer!

I think Shabazz added to that frenzy too.
I snickered at that. I think he helped another Canadian knife maker to "superstar" status overnight. I was never interested in them much, but from what I have heard it takes well over a year to get a Scaha? Nah, too much trouble for me.

Do people even use them? Most of the time I just see people put them up and say "3rd owner, never used, just taken out for pictures".

I guess I just don't understand buying a knife or tool and not using it lol
Well said and true that!

For all you knife people who are talking about action,flipping,drop shut blades and playing with your knives rather than actually using them I do have one thing to say.Knife is a tool and should be used everyday.Simple,easy to maintain with few parts, solid blade steel and great fit, finish and tolerances.User friendly blade shape and no nonsense design.There are real user knives, tools and there are knife toys out there.Pick up what you want and remember that you will either be knife user or collector of fidgets.Cheers.

Absolute ridiculous design to sharpen- which if you are going to use your knife is a fact of life. I wouldn't even want to have to strop one of these things regularly. Fantasy toys for rich boys.

Absolute ridiculous design to sharpen- which if you are going to use your knife is a fact of life. I wouldn't even want to have to strop one of these things regularly. Fantasy toys for rich boys.
I'm only a novice at sharpening, and I haven't had any issues sharpening them on water stones - when I did sharpen an older one back in 2017. Just don't round the tip where the two edges meet, and it's like sharpening any other knife.

Norseman was always a no for me. Rask...right up my alley. Im Canadian and I asked John for a Canadian price when i was at bladeshow...he said no, we only deal in USD. So guess what...no Rask for me. Im not paying to convert my Canadian funds for US dollars just to drive down the street to hand over USD to buy a knife right here in Canada. (Head shaking). They may make good knives, but they are not businessmen. Now Grimsmo Knives are a no-go for me...Ill keep giving my money to CRK and Thorburn.
Thats my rant. I’m out!

Edit to add: I felt up the Rask at BS. Felt like a cheap toy. Now...that Spectre and the Holt’s, super nice knife, and amazing people!
Very well said!

Lance, don't you have to reclamp it at least twice to get to all the edges? I use a TSPROF, I don't see how you could do a serious job unless you are great at freehand- without reclamping, and every time you reclamp you are kinda introducing variability...

Lance, don't you have to reclamp it at least twice to get to all the edges? I use a TSPROF, I don't see how you could do a serious job unless you are great at freehand- without reclamping, and every time you reclamp you are kinda introducing variability...
I sharpened free hand on water stones. I find it much easier to just get a feel of the angle and hold the knife steady than trying to match it exactly on a fixed angle clamp system. I can see how it would be a lot more trouble for you compared to more ‘traditional’ shapes on a system, as you’ve described, but for free handers it shouldn’t be much different from normal. I just treat it as two separate edges and I’m good to go.

I own a KME, but ended up not liking it much.

Back