Northwoods Gunstock

Im excited to see a single blade gunstock being offered, especially with the long pull, and cpm-154. Looks like a winner to me. I'm assuming this is a Queen made knife. I have the S&M single blade gunstock, and it feels great in hand. Anybody know what other kind of covers are going to be offered on this run? I see the factory seconds in white or black bone and stag, but i assume some more non-second knives are coming? Anybody else excited about this one?

I believe these were only a run of seconds and will not be made again. It was mentioned in a a video he posted.
Derrick received 100 from Queen as such.

You had to spend 300$ first at ksf to get the coupon code for 130$ which would be the 'giveaway' for the seconds gunstocks.
If you returned all the items except the gunstock, you were refunded only 170$ since technically you kept a 130$ seconds.

For myself I love the Gunstock Pattern but won't pick one of these up due to the issues with the Everyday Barlow
CPM-154 isn't enough to sway me in terms of having a so called "super steel".

I do like the original and older era queen gunstocks though. They made several of them very well. Was just discussing them with a forum member last night and the size on a gunstock is one of the only ones that really fit well. The GEC 22 Magnum is a bit too small and the 76 outlaw isn't a 'traditional gunstock' pattern.

Last edited:
yeah i just went back and found that email. I ordered one of the black bone seconds along with a Fiddleback i've been wanting anyway. I guess for free, they can't really be that bad. I'm not really thrilled on the quality of most Queen knives i've handled, but i do kind of know what to expect. Anyway, with this deal i certainly won't be complaining, and if it's bad enough then it will be a good starting point to customize it. My S&M gunstock is decent quality, but the blade grind is so unbelievably thick that it's near useless to me, but i'm going to re-grind it and replace the covers and bolsters and i should have something pretty cool.

I spent a long time trying to think of how I could spend $300 on things I didn't need, just to get that knife. I really hope that KSF ends up selling them individually at reduced prices because I think it looks great and would make a fantastic user.

I spent a long time trying to think of how I could spend $300 on things I didn't need, just to get that knife. I really hope that KSF ends up selling them individually at reduced prices because I think it looks great and would make a fantastic user.

My understanding was that Derrick wanted to do a 'giveaway' after spending money at KSF to get these knives but if you really wanted to, you could buy them at full price.

@Shipwright

Do you have any photos of your S&M? I've seen a couple interesting ones with nail nicks near the clip portion of the blade. Queen grinds generally come very obtuse so a regrind is definitely needed.

At first, I was really excited to see a Northwoods Gunstock, then I saw it was made by Queen - with the typical recent production F&F issues. Thanks, but I'll pass...

I was REALLY hoping for something along the lines of this, around the size of the Madison. I made this sketch a while back for one of the KSF suggestion threads. Maybe some day!!

I really like the idea of a Northwoods single spear gunstock (A LOT!).....

At first, I was really excited to see a Northwoods Gunstock, then I saw it was made by Queen - with the typical recent production F&F issues. Thanks, but I'll pass...

I was REALLY hoping for something along the lines of this, around the size of the Madison. I made this sketch a while back for one of the KSF suggestion threads. Maybe some day!!

That's a really innovative and skillfully cad rendering onespdfrk, I suggest your own SFO! :D

A bit too large in the size of the madison for me, make it a 3.75" closed length for the masses and I'm in ;)

Last edited:
This was just the "excuse" I needed to finally buy a Wicked Edge system. This way it comes with a free practice knife :).

This was just the "excuse" I needed to finally buy a Wicked Edge system. This way it comes with a free practice knife :).

Haha you won't regret the WEPS, great system. I only use it for full sharpening on custom knives with modern stainless steels, since usually with traditionals in O1 and 1095..all they ever need is a good stropping.

Haha you won't regret the WEPS, great system. I only use it for full sharpening on custom knives with modern stainless steels, since usually with traditionals in O1 and 1095..all they ever need is a good stropping.

Thanks Tim, I usually freehand but wanted something for re-profiling modern steels and setting precise bevels. Plus the antique white bone gunstock just looks great to me.

I got one of the S&M Gunstocks (large) from KSF last year about this time. It is a nice knife if you like the size.

Thanks Tim, I usually freehand but wanted something for re-profiling modern steels and setting precise bevels. Plus the antique white bone gunstock just looks great to me.

I'd suggest the angle cube as well if you didn't get one. It's a must have for setting precise bevels and worth checking twice when you're locking the knife in the vise.

Have fun with that CPM154 on the gunstock ;) I'm sure it'll take a precise edge. One of my favourite steels.

That is a beautiful design, and i'd love one that size. Reminds me of Jared Oeser's large Gunstock

That is a beautiful design, and i'd love one that size. Reminds me of Jared Oeser's large Gunstock

Agreed, it's hard to make a gunstock frame so shapely like that but I love the curves and contours I imagine that one would have.

@Shipwright

Do you have any photos of your S&M? I've seen a couple interesting ones with nail nicks near the clip portion of the blade. Queen grinds generally come very obtuse so a regrind is definitely needed.

I thought the funky blade shape was pretty cool, and there aren't many other single blade gunstocks out there. This one has a super thick blade stock (1/8" or a hair over) and a pretty low saber grind, making it pretty fat geometry. The factory edge was at least 50 deg, and wasn't even brought to an apex in some spots! With my 30 deg edge on it, you can see how big the bevel got. Other than that it seems like a great knife. I was never a fan of all the S&M branding all over it, so after a ffg re-grind, and changing out the covers, it will be a pretty unique knife. I'll be sure to put up some pics when i finish it.

DSCN0848_zpslr905wki.jpg

I thought the funky blade shape was pretty cool, and there aren't many other single blade gunstocks out there. This one has a super thick blade stock (1/8" or a hair over) and a pretty low saber grind, making it pretty fat geometry. The factory edge was at least 50 deg, and wasn't even brought to an apex in some spots! With my 30 deg edge on it, you can see how big the bevel got. Other than that it seems like a great knife. I was never a fan of all the S&M branding all over it, so after a ffg re-grind, and changing out the covers, it will be a pretty unique knife. I'll be sure to put up some pics when i finish it.

DSCN0848_zpslr905wki.jpg

And that is the reason I prefer the FFG Northwoods from GEC over the saber ground. It might look nice but if you actually use your knives...having a wedge grind on a traditional for edc tasks such as cutting cardboard, food, apples, and rope..there's far more material to bind up and wedge against compared to a full height grind.

I do like the clip placement on that blade though but I agree. Not enough single blade gunstocks out there (you do have that custom one now though ;)
I'm sure it'll be a winner after some modifications.

That is a great looking design, I'm surprisef GEC hasn't made a large gunstock yet

Thanks for the kind comments folks! Just messing around, trying to get somebody (GEC!!) to make something like that....

Reminds me of Jared Oeser's large Gunstock

Bingo! That's got to be one of the prettiest gunstock's I've ever seen - it had a lot of influence on the sketch.

Actually, I think the Queen (and Northwoods) gunstocks look great from a distance. If they could just tighten up a few things in the F&F department, they would be a great buy. I'm still on the hunt for one of the spear point Rigid's they made in this pattern a while back.

Queen also made the Tuna Valley gunstock, with the same funky blade as shipright's S&M. Never had one in hand, so can't say if they're made any better.

I can say that these Northwoods are made well.

And who can argue with a free knife. (hint, people do..)

Back