Noss4..??

If I remember correctly, in one of his videos they said something about how mad one of the knife owners will be. I think it was a chris reeve blade.

I did/ do like his videos. It was interesting to see what the knives would take.

I always wondered, did He spent His own money on the blades ? Or if he had a "sponsors" of sorts.

He bought many of the knives with his own money, especially early in his testing. Some knives were donated by mfrs, as was the FFBM, I believe. Other blades were donated by individuals who wanted to see how they compared in his tests. I donated one (the Basic 9), went halves with him on the cost of one (skinny ASH-1), and sold him another knife at my cost that he was interested in. I don't know whether he took monetary donations to help defray his expenses or not, but I do know several other blades tested later in his series were donated.

I got to admit, watching the Busse perform as it did on a video of his lead me here. Busse products sell themselves when you see videos like that. Other manufactures that were angry should be thinking about the facts of their product. I know not all steels are created equal, but the video speaks for itself. Most people also understand that we would not put the knives through some of the tests on the video. So it was up the person to decide. I decided on putting my money on the Busse.

He bought many of the knives with his own money, especially early in his testing. Some knives were donated by mfrs, as was the FFBM, I believe. Other blades were donated by individuals who wanted to see how they compared in his tests. I donated one (the Basic 9), went halves with him on the cost of one (skinny ASH-1), and sold him another knife at my cost that he was interested in. I don't know whether he took monetary donations to help defray his expenses or not, but I do know several other blades tested later in his series were donated.

Your Basic 9 is the one that hooked me. It's all your fault! You did this to me!! :pig:

Your Basic 9 is the one that hooked me. It's all your fault! You did this to me!! :pig:

I still remember the satisfaction I felt at the surprise in his voice as he was chopping and saying, "Wow this thing takes really DEEP bites and it's not even that heavy!" Then went back to the seat belt webbing to test the edge after chopping and it went through like a straight razor through paper. Asym Basics rule, baby. :D :thumbup:

Last edited:
I was quite surprised by the results. I would have never thought it. I guess that's my Chris R got angry about it. You pay that much for a blade, you expect better results that just an average production knife. Well there is the fact that Busse was the king of most tests. I think the only other knife to come close was a Fallkniven but I don't recall the model. Even it broke eventually at the lamination point. some of those tests had me gritting my teeth to watch though.

His videos are why I bought a FBM and didn't hop on the chris reeves band wagon

That Fallkniven A1 was impressive, but the one that really surprised me was the skinny ASH-1. Even at 3/16" thickness, the amount of punishment that knife took was remarkable. Up to then I had assumed much of Busse's success at surviving those tests was due to blade thickness, but the skinny ASH gave me a new level of respect for INFI.

I'm going to violate Thumper's mother's rule but here it is:

As a scientist, I found the characterization of what he did as "testing" to be ridiculous. He beat on them until they broke. Period. End of statement. There was no measurement, no repeatability, no data collection of any sort. Just "hit it harder" to the point of failure. Those videos may have been entertaining but they certainly weren't tests.

If your point is that the tests lacked control, that’s fair. If your point is that there was nothing of value to be learned from watching the tests, about the relative characteristics of the blades tested, then obviously many here would disagree with you, myself included.

Even without being scientific I think it's pretty safe to say that some knives took a heck of a beating while others did not. There are no scientific controls involved in a Boxing or MMA match but there are still losers and champions.

These tests favoured soft steels, thick grinds and chisel edges... Those are not qualities I look for in any knife...

Gaston

From what I have seen on his videos, although yes it was not a laboratory by any means, He did the exact same test in order just about to every knife. Each knife did test 1, if passed go onto test 2 and so forth. For a Redneck testing facility it worked. Yes some of the tests were a bit out of sorts, but you got to admit it really showed you what a knife is capable of if an extreme situation arose. Minus a major or alien invasion I doubt most of these situations would ever arise, but hey you never know. ;) As to testing an items by beating on it until it broke, well we have been basically doing testing like that in the Auto industry since I was just an intern. That is pretty much how all transmissions, engines, body welds, structural integrity, etc is tested. We in some cases beat on it until it breaks and then record the time or energy involved to make it break. Yes we had machines to record the exact newtons, torque, speed, even the humidity in the air at the time. Again, this is just one man making a basic testing regimen that seems to quickly separate the chaff from the wheat. As a knife making claims of immortality of a product, I would be terrified to see my finest being slaughtered in front of who knows how many. From a consumer standpoint, we know we won't put most knives through that rigorous work. As a consumer its nice to know what that several hundred dollar blade is capable of compared to its leading competition. I don't get the anger involved, its entertainment as well as testing. Don't advertise it if it wont do it, period.

Back