Notches on liners of new brown Paramilitary - normal or imperfections?

I just got my sprint run brown CPM-S35V Paramilitary 2 from Knife Center. It's a sweet little knife, cuts really well and opens really smooth. No blade play at all, the blade is perfectly centered, overall fit and finish is excellent. However, I found two little notches on the edge of the liners. Is this normal, or are they imperfections?

2bd0e1.jpg

5bpe6e.jpg

It's normal; that's the stop/start point for whatever they use to cut the liners out (can't remember if water jets or something else at the moment).

atleast the liners are mostly hidden by the g10, wish the manix was like that

Bummer that it's normal. I was all psyched for a step-up in detail quality from my Manix 2. I agree that it'd be nice if Spyderco would have some models that are PERFECT.

well as much as i would like to agree with you, because i have seen and have gotten obvious blemishes on new knives from Golden, this problem seems awfully petty to me. The liners are nested after all, you have to look inside the knife to see those tabs, so its not a big deal.

if you want perfect finishes then buy the spydercos from china or taiwan. :)

Bummer that it's normal. I was all psyched for a step-up in detail quality from my Manix 2. I agree that it'd be nice if Spyderco would have some models that are PERFECT.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I buy quality products not only because they work well but also because they are works of manufacturing art. I was looking forward to the nested liners because I know they are harder to manufacture because the tolerances have to be so tight.

I tried to check out Benchmade's gold class but their website is down.

I guess I'm a bit OCD but it pays off as a software developer :)

Its ok to seek out perfection. Heck - I can even help you with that. Go read some of my posts in the political forum.

I own dozens of Spyderco products, and honestly cannot recall even a single instance of anything that I would characterize as a flaw in design or manufacturing. So as far as I am concerned, they are all Gold Class.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I buy quality products not only because they work well but also because they are works of manufacturing art. I was looking forward to the nested liners because I know they are harder to manufacture because the tolerances have to be so tight.

This is not an imperfection in manufacturing. It's related to the manufacturing process, not a random defect. You might as well go after Chris Reeve for the rear hole on the Sebenza scales... :rolleyes:

check out these gold class manix 2 liners

dscn003.jpg

dscn002.jpg

the tenacious liners on the left must be platinum class

I have too noticed some QC problems coming from Golden, CO. The Tenacious I have is excellent so is the Sage 1. The (2) Manix 2's and (3) Paramilitaries 2's I've had were all returned for one problem or another...

If you want "manufactured art," then $150 is not going to get you perfection. I would recommend a semi-custom knife, perhaps a Sebenza, if you want incredible attention to small details. The Sebenza is substantially more but you get what you pay for. As a software designer, you should understand how the market works.

Spyderco does have good QC overall but at times there are blemishes and even major problems on their knives. Their CS takes care of the serious issues, even if they are a bit slow. Still, Spyderco clearly states that they make knives that are meant to perform, not be placed on a pedestal and examined under a microscope. I would give your criticism merit if it was directed at a company and product that was specifically focused on "manufactured art."

Complaining about nothing IMO :) all the Para'2s have it and most of the manix models have the small tooling lines...if you don't want any of that expect to pay more....o wait...there are threads complaining about that to, guess we will have to buy Taichung...nope...also complains...Golden..3unning at 300percent capacity...no, not good enough...complain...

Poor Spyderco...guess they can't do anything right...but wait a minute...the knife functions well does it not? The model cuts well? It does everything the knife is made for well? Nope, can't complain about thaty, but that's not important now is it?

(Runs and gets the popcorn and peanut butter)

How often do you actually use the inside of your folder so that anyone would ever notice? Come on, if you want something perfect, it going to cost you a few numdred dollars . ;)

How often do you actually use the inside of your folder so that anyone would ever notice? Come on, if you want something perfect, it going to cost you a few numdred dollars . ;)

+1 :thumbup: I believe Sal always says something about how it cuts. Some little blowout from the laser cut liner does not effect how the knife cuts does it? That's what matters. If you want to something that is "perfect" then go buy a custom. When I get a knife the only thing I want from it is to function properly and cut.

Back