Notches on liners of new brown Paramilitary - normal or imperfections?

The point that you are missing is that this is not an imperfection. It appears om every Para2 as a part of the manufacturing process. Spyderco is not perfect and definitely ships bum knives now and then, but your complaint is simply off-target.

Good point. The water jet stop and start marks are not an imperfection just how the jet cutter works. Same cutter in taiwan with a taiwanese operation same marks.

That's rather big headed & narrow minded of you to go claiming "the best country on earth".

So what ? Am I not PC too bad I love my country?

Anyway since this isn't a political forum let me say I just recently added a Para2 to my collection and I love the compression lock this is a great knife. the only reason I had clicked on this thread was because of that fact.
As far as the machining marks everyone is right in there own way luckily there is freedom of choice.
Of course if I only had the selection of the North Koreans I could have it all

Good point. The water jet stop and start marks are not an imperfection just how the jet cutter works. Same cutter in taiwan with a taiwanese operation same marks.

And the laser-cut stop/start marks in the Spyder-holes...the weird cut marks on the tang that were perfectly consistent across an entire run of Military blades...there are lots of similar examples. There's a difference between normal production "issues" and individual unit defects. Maybe it'd be nice if they weren't there, but the production process would have to be re-engineered, and that would probably affect production volume and pricing. Dunno, not my shop...

I think customers' "it's ok", "it's normal", "not a big deal" attitude kills the product quality. The same time, customers are SO picky on product made from oversea that made them afraid of loosing their business. In result, they product better quality products.
If ParaII price already pushed x2-3 of oversea spyderco to reflect the labor cost, why cant the finish be the same? If customer think, "it's normal" which makes Spyderco owner think "it's normal" then do not request factory workers, then they behave "it's normal". It is a chain snow ball effect. USA can't be begging for job and angry ppl from oversea taking work away from us and at the same time not willing to perform as hard.

We must believe Spyderco USA can match the flawless quality. That it is "not ok" and request for better. Sal has to believe these are "not ok" and request/expect factory worker to step it up.
finding excuses to protect US made products poorly made leads USA go no where. I don't think such request to Spyderco is unreal. Spyderco has to make it real for us.

That's rather big headed & narrow minded of you to go claiming "the best country on earth".

You have every right to claim New Zealand is the best country on earth and I would never call you big headed or narrow minded. In fact it would never occur to me. I'd say great for you. So why must you take offense at such a statement? Who is actually big headed and narrow minded here?

i'm waiting for someone to label this a "dead horse". i posted a thread on this subject 2 years back and was practically berated for it.

i've since learned that it's perfectly normal and every last one of the many para 2's that i own (or owned)....have had the nicks.

this is a production folder and a damn fine EDC blade. now man up and put some real use marks on that bad boy! ;)

You have every right to claim New Zealand is the best country on earth and I would never call you big headed or narrow minded. In fact it would never occur to me. I'd say great for you.

True, I have every right to claim whatever I wish, it does not make it right however, arrogant maybe, narrow minded? yes but not right.

Who is actually big headed and narrow minded here?

You.

Chris "Anagarika";11083736 said:
I can't find the laser cut mark on Spyderhole of the Resilience I have?? :confused:

I think all my newer Spydercos (maybe in the last year or two) have had the Spyderhole mark removed. There was a lot of complaining about that in the past, and I noticed all of a sudden I got one without it, then another, and another, etc. :D

And the laser-cut stop/start marks in the Spyder-holes...the weird cut marks on the tang that were perfectly consistent across an entire run of Military blades...there are lots of similar examples. There's a difference between normal production "issues" and individual unit defects. Maybe it'd be nice if they weren't there, but the production process would have to be re-engineered, and that would probably affect production volume and pricing. Dunno, not my shop...

They are great knives offered at great prices. Honestly to me they are tools not art pieces. I have finally used my GB enough that there are some Blems and now I'm using the snot out of it. For the first 6 months of owning it I was too "intimidated" to use it hard since it was so "Pretty". So in a way the manufacturing "marks" on the P2 are IMO not bugs but features. Its almost like they are engineered in to encourage use. Too perfect a knife and you won't actually use it.

The original point being, though, with the high F&F Spyderco usually delivers, you'd expect the tabs left by the waterjet to be polished off.

Obviously this adds a manufacturing step, and would be ridiculous on an already value model like the Yojimbo 2 or similar (very low resale for the quality of materials/construction).

On the other hand, some of us are perfectionists and will notice this kind of thing, and just ignore it because of what it is.

Back