numbers on axe heads

I'm in the process of restoring a couple of old axes that were Grandpa's. One is a True Temper Flint Edge Kelly Works double-bit that has a "31" stamped on the head. The second axe is a True Temper Kelly Perfect double-bit with a "32".
Do those numbers refer to handle length?
Will post photos when I get farther along in the process.

I think what you are referring to is the weight. The second number being smaller than the first.
3-1 would be 3 1/4lbs, 3-2= 3 1/2lbs and 3-3= 3 3/4lbs.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable poeple here willing to help.

I might also add your granfather had good taste. Kelly's are nice.
We like pictures:).

If they're full sized axes, I believe those stampings could be the weights of the heads.. at least I know I've seen multiple Plumbs marked with 3², 3⁵ and 4 stampings that were 3lb 2oz, 3lb 5oz and 4lbs respectively. Others I've seen have the second number be a % of a lb, like 35 meaning 3.5lbs. That's my best guess, though I've personally never seen True Tempers with weight stampings.

Funnily enough, 30-32" is what I consider an ideal handle length for 3 to 3.5 pound heads, so you might not be too off base regardless what the numbers end up meaning.

That said, good luck on your restorations and be sure to post up pictures!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've also got a Plumb BSA hatchet that's farther along in the restoration process. Should have photos in a few days.

I've never actually seen an axe with 3^1 stamped on it, though it would totally make sense if it were out there. I know some true tempers have another set of numbers stampe don them, usually preceded by a letter. Weight stamps typically have one big # followed by one small #, whereas the other marks I'm referring to are both small and the same size.
Curious to see photos.

I got a COLLINS double bit axe that has a number 4 on it but it weighs 3 1/5 LBS ... what does that mean?

Well it looks like almost new ... its in very good condition.
So i dont think theres a possibility of so much materiał beeing worn.

Yes I agree Pindvin that axe is all there so it is possible a mistake or the 4 in that instance means something else, not weight. Usually weight stamps were centered on the cheek. Numbers elsewhere could mean something else.

Im polishing it up now. After doing that ill edit the post and give a pic so yo know wheres the 4 stamp.

VintageAxe. Here is one.
3.1.jpg

Here's the smaller of the two Kelly axes.axes - 12.jpg
Will start a new thread with more photos tomorrow.
Double posted below. I need to do this while the coffee is still active.

Last edited:
garry3, I had my head out the window when I thought this axe had a "31" on it. It actually has a "3" and a small vertical mark to the left of the "3". I weighed it and it came out to 2 pounds 11 ounces.

garry3, I had my head out the window when I thought this axe had a "31" on it. It actually has a "3" and a small vertical mark to the left of the "3". I weighed it and it came out to 2 pounds 11 ounces.

I believe the information above is correct - 3^2 for Kelly (and Plumb and probably many others) is 3.5#. The weight remaining will be less on an axe that has led an honest life like that one (that would have been over 9" long new) and yours is in range of the 3# stamp. There is a Kelly TT cruiser which is the smaller eye/head that I don't think I can link because it is an active auction that is marked 2^2 - weight is given as 2 pounds 9.8 ounces. You have to remember this was some hot hot metal poured in a mold and squished then beaten on and shaped finally by eye. The weights were a rough estimate of what the final weight would be as a result. I don't think it was by ounces (3^2 = 3# 2 oz) as they would have little hope of hitting that exactly.

Back