NYC (10-133c) Summons

What sucks is that you can get hired and go through training BEFORE they use the services of a background checking service. Training in my case went on for a month before they found out i had weapons violations.

This is worrying me now since I just got a new job. They're using background checking service now but it's for an advertising agency. I hope nothing comes out of this.

Private organizations only have access to the "civilian" CORI in MA. No sealed records show up on a civilian CORI. But that is MA, not sure about your state. About 6 years ago, my girlfriend and I drove from Corpus Christi to Brownsville, then parked the rental car and walked across the bridge over the Rio Grande into Matamoros, Mexico. They were selling switchblades openly, but they were of poor quality (I suspect Pakistan or India was the source). Better to save up the cash and buy a quality knife. Were you convicted in Texas and Virginia? If so, felony or misdemeanor?
The bigger organizations (with better pay) use the services of companies that perform background/police records in great detail in order to avoid liability issues with discrimination. Human resources in large organizations do not usually perform background checks themselves any longer. The one in Texas for a switchblade at the time was a felony, but i think it was reduced to a misdemeanor because i only paid a fine for that one.

The one in Virginia was an actual charge, but there were other weapons involved all of which were reduced to 'unregistered weapons charges'...i had a shotgun i purchased from a gunshow that was ONE MILLIMETER too short (winchester featherlight, pistol grip and laser sight didnt help my case)- felony. I also had about 20 thick heavy chinese stars, crossbow, swords, knives galour, Mac 11, SKS 7.62...Not allowed to step foot in Virginia ever again, not like id want to anyway. I was moving to Virginia with my girlfriend, older sheeple brother didnt like me and turned me into his cop buddies. Ran into a roadblock with 10 cop cars on the way home.

This is worrying me now since I just got a new job. They're using background checking service now but it's for an advertising agency. I hope nothing comes out of this.
Don't lose any sleep over it. Sounds like a violation, much like getting a speeding ticket from a state trooper for going 10 miles or so over the limit on the highway. Background check companies can only access public information, unlike LE databases, which can access everything. If you were applying for a LEO position, they may discover it. I know a guy who landed a good job after his background check from a well-known checking service came back clean. The never did find out that he was given a Big Chicken Dinner by the Navy several years earlier for repeated drug test failures. (LOL!)

It isn't the charges, it's the office gossip that sucks.

Don't lose any sleep over it. Sounds like a violation, much like getting a speeding ticket from a state trooper for going 10 miles or so over the limit on the highway. Background check companies can only access public information, unlike LE databases, which can access everything. If you were applying for a LEO position, they may discover it. I know a guy who landed a good job after his background check from a well-known checking service came back clean. The never did find out that he was given a Big Chicken Dinner by the Navy several years earlier for repeated drug test failures. (LOL!)

Yeah that makes sense. Thats funny about your friend, I feel like since this is happening to me (or anyone in general) you feel more nervous and paranoid about these little things.

Tom - quick question about NYC court. I want to go tomorrow to settle this summons, but where do I go to find out if I can go in before my schedule date? I read somewhere the clerks office first?

The bigger organizations (with better pay) use the services of companies that perform background/police records in great detail in order to avoid liability issues with discrimination. Human resources in large organizations do not usually perform background checks themselves any longer. The one in Texas for a switchblade at the time was a felony, but i think it was reduced to a misdemeanor because i only paid a fine for that one.

The one in Virginia was an actual charge, but there were other weapons involved all of which were reduced to 'unregistered weapons charges'...i had a shotgun i purchased from a gunshow that was ONE MILLIMETER too short (winchester featherlight, pistol grip and laser sight didnt help my case)- felony. I also had about 20 thick heavy chinese stars, crossbow, swords, knives galour, Mac 11, SKS 7.62...Not allowed to step foot in Virginia ever again, not like id want to anyway. I was moving to Virginia with my girlfriend, older sheeple brother didnt like me and turned me into his cop buddies. Ran into a roadblock with 10 cop cars on the way home.
So Virginia nailed you for a SBS? You were lucky; if the barrel is less than 18" and the overall length is less than 27", that shotgun is a NFA item, subject to federal law that is enforced by the BATFE. I am surprised Virginia didn't sic the BATFE on you. You ran a police roadblock? Luck was with you once again. The police could easily have shot you dead right on the spot and been found justified in doing so. No gun/knife/martial arts weapons collection is worth the needless loss of life.

Yeah that makes sense. Thats funny about your friend, I feel like since this is happening to me (or anyone in general) you feel more nervous and paranoid about these little things.

Tom - quick question about NYC court. I want to go tomorrow to settle this summons, but where do I go to find out if I can go in before my schedule date? I read somewhere the clerks office first?
You actually want tom19176. He is the retired NYC officer who knows his way around the city's weapons laws. I am from the Boston area and am unfamiliar with the ins and outs of NYC law.

... if the barrel is less than 18" and the overall length is less than 27", that shotgun is a NFA item, subject to federal law that is enforced by the BATFE....

Overall is 26" or more. And can't be less than 18" barrel or less than 26" overall. Either being too short is same severity of violation.

- OS

Last edited:
So Virginia nailed you for a SBS? You were lucky; if the barrel is less than 18" and the overall length is less than 27", that shotgun is a NFA item, subject to federal law that is enforced by the BATFE. I am surprised Virginia didn't sic the BATFE on you. You ran a police roadblock? Luck was with you once again. The police could easily have shot you dead right on the spot and been found justified in doing so. No gun/knife/martial arts weapons collection is worth the needless loss of life.
The BATF lab test guy was at my trial, but he knew it was a bullshit charge. He was kinda pissed he got subpoenaed to some small hick ass town to testify. I didn't run the roadblock, the road block was for me and I stopped, then they went to my place and searched it. We got lost on the way home (hell i just moved there for like 2 days) and I took her back to her brothers house late and he got pissed. The stupid thing is, I gave her brother the firearms to hold while i looked for a place to live because i didn't want to drive around town with them, and that prick is the one that knarcked on me.

whats a SBS?

Last edited:
I think it should be clarified that the term "background check company" can mean two things.

1) a company website that you use to find information yourself.
2) an actual background checking company that has access to law enforcement records, that make profit from performing checks for large corporations.

You can go to one of the famous forums for LEO and they will tell you the name of background checking services that will retrieve police records and are available for use to the general public.

I think it should be clarified that the term "background check company" can mean two things.

1) a company website that you use to find information yourself.
2) an actual background checking company that has access to law enforcement records, that make profit from performing checks for large corporations.

You can go to one of the famous forums for LEO and they will tell you the name of background checking services that will retrieve police records and are available for use to the general public.
Even though MA is a very anti-weapon, anti-self-defense state (our AG, Martha Coakley discourages "self-help"; if you are being attacked and killed, the proper response for a lowly civilian is to call 911, not shoot back!), it is impossible to legally access LE records from CORI. Civilian inquiries, including background-checking companies, can only get the watered-down "civilian CORI", which does not include sealed records. Federal records, including military punishments (Big Chicken Dinner, Duck Dinner, etc.) are not included in a CORI check. Also, only LE agencies have access to I.I.I.(Interstate Identification Index) criminal record queries, not civilian checking companies. In short, no private checking company will be accessing MA police records; just isn't going to happen. It is very difficult to become a police officer in MA due to state Civil Service policies. Any officer who illegally accesses the police CORI database to support a private checking company (or any other private sector company for that matter) is just asking to lose his/her job. Few if any would risk it.

Well that was uneventful. I was hoping to get this dismissed or at least seen, but the clerks at the courthouse basically told me to F off and come back earliest 5 days before scheduled court date. This was awesome. Not.

I wouldn't worry about it! It's a nuisance ticket! I go back and forth from NYC to FL! My 17yr old son got a ticket for riding his bicycle on the sidewalk and the officer told him the same thing that it would get thrown out and sure enough it did! We went down there once and then we got a letter in the mail that it was dismissed! I would save the summons and the dismisall letter together for any future employment if asked!

I wouldn't worry about it! It's a nuisance ticket! I go back and forth from NYC to FL! My 17yr old son got a ticket for riding his bicycle on the sidewalk and the officer told him the same thing that it would get thrown out and sure enough it did! We went down there once and then we got a letter in the mail that it was dismissed! I would save the summons and the dismisall letter together for any future employment if asked!

Thanks for the advice!

Well that was uneventful. I was hoping to get this dismissed or at least seen, but the clerks at the courthouse basically told me to F off and come back earliest 5 days before scheduled court date. This was awesome. Not.

We also went down there earlier cause we weren't going to be in town for court date and they said come back and then we got a letter that it was dismissed!

Hello!

I was wondering if you could help me grasp this NYC knife issues? I'll be in short transit from JFK to La Guardia. This is what I understand so far:
* The blade should be strictly under 4".
* The knife should be fully concealed.
* Folder should be only manual and non-locking.

So, does it mean that someone can only carry
* a fixed knife (under 4" blade, concealed)
* or non-locking folder -- penny knife/SAK/Victorinox?

Thank you very much for clarification.

Back