Octagonal Handle, Jersey Head Finished - Picture Heavy

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by SkogKniv, May 30, 2012.

1. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Correctamundo but on my backyard fence

2. SkogKniv

SkogKniv

Jul 25, 2009
    I'm not sure what that means lol, but none the less, I told it like it was.

Maybe the one I just finished in this thread wont work for crap. Who knows until I get it out, which I will, and make video of, along with pics.

3. SkogKniv

SkogKniv

Jul 25, 2009
    I am sure he will chime in when he pops on here. I'd be amazed if he's got nothing on this one.

F it's late, for me anyways. Off to bed.

4. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Peace Out

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    Well, that's what i thought they were at first but wasn't sure. I will definitely try linseed oil on the wedge on the next one I hang. My wedge always ends up split and mucked up by the time I'm done.

Going to a big local antique/flea market tomorrow; hopefully I will find an axe or hatchet, or 3, who knows. :)

randy

6. 1whobuys

1whobuys

Mar 20, 2001
    Very Nicely done...Sorry you got flamed, it was uncalled for.

7. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Have you tried chamfering the edges of your wedge before you drive it in? That helps for me. It also helps to have the wedge shaped to fit the eye. The sides may need to taper in a little. Test fit your wedge into the empty eye before the final setting of the axe head.

8. rwn2000

rwn2000

Jan 6, 2003
    Square_peg, thanks for the tip. I picked up a 3^2 Plumb at a flea market today and will try this when I re-hang it. Will post picks in another thread when done.

randy

9. ahalbig

ahalbig

Jun 23, 2012
    Beautiful job hanging that axe Skog! I have recently come into a double-bit that has been in my family for some time, no idea of make (other than a B-7 mark, so I'm assuming a sticker was on it originally) but I'd really like to re-haft with some quality hickory, as Great-Uncle Bill always took pride in his tools. What is this handlehouse you mention in your original post? Thanks for any info!

Aaron

10. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    Skog,
    what do you think of the octagonal handle shape?
    is it comfortable?
    fine looking axe btw.

buzz

11. 333.okh

333.okh

Mar 23, 2011

I got the same axe head, but no Circle N...however it was highly rusted on the poll....I ordered a AA grade 30 inch House Handle with octagon shaping....It will be my truck axe........I carry a 2 pound head on a 31 inch handle for back country.

12. 333.okh

333.okh

Mar 23, 2011
    the N is actually just barely there and this is a perfect head...edge retention weight and cutting edge length....At 6'8 320 pound that 30 inch handle shucks chips like a chainsaw

13. tobiism

tobiism

Jun 28, 2013
    Hands down one of the prettiest axes I've ever seen and that handle!!! Oh baby!