odd looking animal

looks like a snapping turtle that was robbed of its shell. Or maybe a seal that was skinned and left.???

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Looks like a lousy picture and the description is totally incompetent. Is that a beak? Does it have paws? How big is it? It's easy to make something seem mysterious by leaving out the facts that should be available.

I'd like to believe in stuff as much as the next guy but anything can look mysterious if you let it rot enough....

The body looks like a bloated dead dog, with cropped ears. I found a pit bull that was dead and floating in the river by my house a while back, its hair had loosened from the water and fallen out, and its skin took a pinkish color to it. As for the beak I dunno, but if you do a google image search for "pit bull skull" it shows that some pit bulls and bull dogs have a scull structure that resembles that. I may be totally wrong, but thats my best guess. joe

My brother and I were talking about this one. To add to the "conspiracy", Plum Island is not far from there. It is a totally secure Gov facility where they work with dangerous animal diseases. It escaped to spawn on the mainland to spread the word of Al-Queda...

DH1

I've read it was a racoon (bloated and hairless from being in the water). The photo makes it appear larger than it actually is; it's about 3' long.

Looks like a turkey or vulture with all it's feathers plucked or a shell-less turtle.

The photo makes it appear larger than it actually is; it's about 3' long.

I saw this story on the news this morning, and they didn't mention that. That puts a whole new light on it to me, maybe it's just some other animals fetus???

I'd like to believe in stuff as much as the next guy but anything can look mysterious if you let it rot enough....

Exactly!.

Use your common sense and it will bring you around every time.. Well, almost every time.:D

Pete1977

Gold Member
I've seen a few sea turtles in my day and that is what it looks like to me. The picture really isn't that great and the sea causes bloating and decompostion to advance much faster. That coupled with the scavenging of other sea life causes carcasses that wash ashore to sometimes look nothing like the living animal.

The position of the flippers, the bird-like beak, the "collar" around the neck, the position of the rear legs and the shape of the tail all look to me like a sea turtle. The carcass looks like a sea turtle that has been pulled from its shell, easily accomplished by a scallop or sea clam dredge, otter trawl, or fixed gear such as gillnets or lobster traps. Several species of sea turtle venture as far north as Montauk and any of the above fishing gear types could rip a turtle from its shell.

quietmike

Gold Member
At a grocery store here the butcher (who was also a hunter and taxidermist) decided to play a joke on one of the stockboys. He got a black bear paw, removed all the hair and left it partially sticking out from some trash in the store's dumpster. Stockboy say it, called police, who called the TBI, who came to investigate, all unknown to the butcher. Five hours later, butcher realizes what's happened, and explained. Cops weren't happy AT ALL!

Amazing similarities between human hand and hairless bear paw.

Decomposed carcass may shift the shape in funny ways.It looks like beak,but it is full of teeth,so it might be just angle of picture taken.