Off Topic: Coolest Tactical Rifle Ever!

My grail.....

The one in the middle.

IMG_3779.jpg

The 91 or STG???

i don't like fals... They are just too bloody long for me. I prefer bullpups overall, but somehow an ar pattern 308 just doesn't seem as long to me

i know this is not actually true, but shooting them side by side, the fal always seemed a mile long.
......osw ??

They don't really do the rifle I would like for a combat rifle .... a bull pup design using the piston set up from an L1A1 ... bring down the OAL but keep the legendary reliability.

Don't need full auto ... if a double tap does'nt hit ... you've missed your chance ... all told that's probably why I like a combat shotgun more than a combat rifle ... better chance of "hits" at combat ranges ... but if I had to use one an L1A1 Bullpup would be nice.:thumbup:

It's run flawlessly for the first 25 years of its life. Don't expect that to change anytime soon. :)

r12568d.jpg

The only thing i don't really like about it is that they stay with the AR direct gas system, which is one of the weak points IMHO, in the AR design. Why they didn't go with a gas piston, i don't know. But then, i'm sure plenty of traditionalist will argue that direct gas is still the best.

It isn't the best, or everyone would use it, since it is lighter.
The gun is also needlessly tall/bulky on the forend and receiver, Trying really hard to look like a SCAR, but just making an overly thick empty space on both ends. That is poor design.

They don't really do the rifle I would like for a combat rifle .... a bull pup design using the piston set up from an L1A1 ... bring down the OAL but keep the legendary reliability.

Don't need full auto ... if a double tap does'nt hit ... you've missed your chance ... all told that's probably why I like a combat shotgun more than a combat rifle ... better chance of "hits" at combat ranges ... but if I had to use one an L1A1 Bullpup would be nice.:thumbup:
.... I have handled but not shot two Bullpup'ed SLRs that were done as projects out here. Nice concept but I would just prefer an L1A1 with an 18inch snout and F1 flash supressor.

My grail.....

The one in the middle.

IMG_3779.jpg

that's a nice piece,and covert as hell but the rechoil seem's to me a little much. i like how the grip is held in place by the strap by the belt loop. but the support system is a little lacking. and i don't think eating the whole can of bean's count's as a gas exchange system. i would like to see one where the mag is a vertical mount to stave of the jam factor.

It's run flawlessly for the first 25 years of its life. Don't expect that to change anytime soon. :)

Not bad but how does reloading go for that thing? I may be wrong but don't most HK 308s have fluted chamberes and make brass pretty much useless after being once fired?

I've reloaded fluted chambered (tried anyway) and full auto brass, what a giant PITA and many stuck shell casings.

Not bad but how does reloading go for that thing? I may be wrong but don't most HK 308s have fluted chamberes and make brass pretty much useless after being once fired?

I've reloaded fluted chambered (tried anyway) and full auto brass, what a giant PITA and many stuck shell casings.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would ever promote HK as the favored brand of reloaders. :) Fluted chambers and dinged cases are a couple issues that will be routinely encountered.

At the same time, there are those of us who appreciate the effort HK puts into ensuring that the round always performs as advertised the first time it's loaded. ;)

Say, what you want to say, but the AR-10 platform is still the best thing going out there today. There is nothing wrong with DI, never has been and it has lots of advantages over piston. I have personally run AR's without cleaning for thousands of rounds. And Accuracy out of the box is unmatched

Say, what you want to say, but the AR-10 platform is still the best thing going out there today. There is nothing wrong with DI, never has been and it has lots of advantages over piston. I have personally run AR's without cleaning for thousands of rounds. And Accuracy out of the box is unmatched

All my ARs are direct impingement, so i'm really there with you, but the trend has been to the piston. Shot a friends POF, and after about 500 rounds, it seemed a lot cleaner than my DI.

But, i guess we wait and see how it proves out in the field.

Unless you're running a suppressor. DI guns blow gas back in your face, piston guns don't.

Unless you're running a suppressor. DI guns blow gas back in your face, piston guns don't.

I never have that problem.

DI has many more advantages than those I list below, but these are just a few:

1. It is inherently more accurate because the barrel can be free floated where the piston gun barrel will always have an additional attachment points.

2. It has a lower mass bolt system than puts no stress on the frame/receiver. Unlike piston guns that have a high mass bolt/piston system that does put a lot of stress on the frame/receiver.

3. Some piston guns can suffer from carrier tilt.

4. The DI gun has gas entering the chamber area through the gas tube, which today is either mid length or rifle length. The advantage of this is that, by the time the gas hits the bolt and receiver it has cooled off tremendously. With the piston system the heat is concentrated at the middle of the barrel. The problem with this is that over time, you are tempering the center of the barrel. Take a look at a piston gun under a thermal camera. you will see what I mean.

5. Piston is a heavier system all around.

Aug... better in every way i can think of than an AR... But hard to fit in a briefcase

AUG or F88AS1 (the current designation out here with all the latest mods) is OK at best. I have been around them since the trails and SARP in the 80s. Politics (and some bribery) was really the only reason we got the bloody things. They came third in the trial (after the Galil and M16A2). Doing it over again we would no doubt have gone with the M16 series rifles. There is a reason that ALL the SF types here us the M4... ;)

Back