• Clip - Long Pull | Sheepsfoot - Nail Nick

Votes: 140 43.5%
  • Clip - Nail Nick| Sheepsfoot - Long Pull

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Clip - Nail Nick | Sheepsfoot - Nail Nick

Votes: 23 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Contract Bucks, Schrade and Camillus, were the only 300 series made with long stamped pulls. Likely in 420 steel. Buck factory pulls have always have been a nic. 300
xlarge.jpg

Contract Bucks, Schrade and Camillus, were the only 300 series made with long stamped pulls. Likely in 420 steel. Buck factory pulls have always have been a nic. 300

Good info. Changed my vote to nick/nick. For now.

I really like the look of the long pull on both blades but in my experience with this old knife the narrow long pull on the secondary blade was uncomfortable to use because of the short arc during the opening process and your fingernail not being allowed to pivot with the arcing. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly!!! With that said I'm going with the long pull main, nick secondary.IMG_3780.PNG

Long pulls just DO NOT look right on secondary blades. Throughout history, I'd guess 10 or more knives were made with long pull main and nick secondary for every one with both long pulls. I bought this knife for the rare pattern and decent stag, but the long pull secondaries just about ruin the look. Judge for yourself.

KTGoUcr.jpg

The stockman pattern, especially, has a long tradition of a long pull clip main with nail nick secondaries. Pleeeeaase reconsider your votes for the double long pulls.

I’m with you 100% black mamba.
Thankfully it looks like long pull main/ nick secondary is slowly creeping up. I’ve gotta keep reminding myself that we’ve still got 4 or 5 days for people to come to their senses!:D

I really like the look of the long pull on both blades but in my experience with this old knife the narrow long pull on the secondary blade was uncomfortable to use because of the short arc during the opening process and your fingernail not being allowed to pivot with the arcing. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly!!! With that said I'm going with the long pull main, nick secondary.View attachment 906941

I get what you mean. The nick is more practical. It can be even more exaggerated with a cut pull that has a sharp nail tearing corner. The stamped pulls tend to be a little more forgiving. I think 2 nicks would be the most practical. But I think all of the options would be usable.

Since the early 301 was pull/nick, I voted for it. It's a fun throw back to the early 301. I'd also be okay with options 1, 2, or 4. I've never seen option 3 on any knife.

Ahh! I wasn't thinking. Good info, Frank. Not sure if it will be cut the same way but here's an example from Case.

8c92hjJ.jpg
Wow, I don't care for that one at all and I usually prefer long pulls. The placement, the way the groove shallows out on the ends, something looks off to me.

Wow, I don't care for that one at all and I usually prefer long pulls. The placement, the way the groove shallows out on the ends, something looks off to me.

I don't know that it will be done the same way by Buck. If I were to guess, I'd guess so. But maybe someone else knows for sure.

While I voted long/long, I would still be happy with the clip long/sheepsfoot nick combination, if that should be the selection chosen by the committee. :)

I don't know that it will be done the same way by Buck. If I were to guess, I'd guess so. But maybe someone else knows for sure.

Voted long pulls.... one on each side. That way it looks sweet from either side. :cool:
Here is an example of a Buck 301 with a long pull.
And I agree with Woodrow, if you have it on opposite sides, it should be a looker (less the spey of course).
87083.JPG

Changed mine to all long pulls! Thanks for the push in the right direction!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I thought CPM154 was chosen because we could stamp it?

skblades skblades has said CPM-154 will be compatible with a tang stamp while the other high end steels would have to be engraved so I too am a little confused.

There is a significant difference in the tooling and force required to stamp a feature such as a long groove into a blade vs. a small mark on the tang.

I don't know about why other folks chose CPM 154. I chose it because I don't have a blade in that alloy and I have heard from a number of fellas whose opinion I trust that CPM 154 is an excellent blade steel.

I'd rather have a nick on the sheepsfoot, but will be happy with either, don't really care, just going to happy to have some CPM 154 to play with.

There is a significant difference in the tooling and force required to stamp a feature such as a long groove into a blade vs. a small mark on the tang.

I don't know about why other folks chose CPM 154. I chose it because I don't have a blade in that alloy and I have heard from a number of fellas whose opinion I trust that CPM 154 is an excellent blade steel.
Ok I can get that stamping a pull is not the same as stamping the tang. The stamp is one of many reasons I voted for CPM-154.

Prefer nick -nick, could live with long pull on the clip & nick on the sheepsfoot especially on aFFG blade

Back