1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2018 Hiking Buddy Group Buy Chat thread

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    You should have saved me!!! LOL. Is that a first dibs request? :D

newmoon010 likes this.
  2. Crosier

Crosier Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yes...I believe it is.:eek::D

Wurrwulf and Choppaman like this.
  3. SLOsmokin

SLOsmokin Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    How cool to be able to watch the progress. I own a lot of knives, but never bought one ahead and been able to see the construction, what a unique idea.

Tutone, Phill50, Choppaman and 3 others like this.
  4. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I hope it continues with other models like the Bush Hermit.

rswanson, Tutone, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  5. NUTRAMAC

NUTRAMAC Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 8, 2014
    Andy we need another group buy for an old school ladyfinger or kephart:)

Tekton, Lady1911, Phill50 and 2 others like this.
  6. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Perhaps after this one is done, @VANCE could conduct a poll here to see what model is the favorite for another group buy.

7. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    Great Idea. I'll probably have about 8 on that list. LOL

Lady1911, newmoon010 and Oyster like this.
  8. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    +1
    (Though I still have to find/read a review comparing it to the Bushfinger - they’re both on my radar; in OD over natural :thumbsup:)

Lady1911 likes this.
  9. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I've seen group buy requests for a lot of different models:

Handyman
    Lil Lady
    Bushcraft Tasker
    Old School Ladyfinger
    Kephart
    Bush Hermit

Did I forget any? :D

My personal votes would be for the Handyman or Lil Lady in thin stock as long as the Lil Lady has Osage over white and natural as an option. ;)

Or throw in the KE Bushie since we're making a list, but a Lil Lady in the above configuration 3/32 A2 or similar AEB-L is at the very top of my list... A2 perfered since it would perfectly match my OS Lady, but that's being a little too picky. Hah!

NUTRAMAC, Lady1911, Nbrackett and 2 others like this.
  10. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I was just thinking how a next model would be picked and thought that maybe a giant "I'll commit to buy a [scale config] [model]" post could be opened and then whichever model hits 20 first is the next model run. Of course, the scale options and models would be outlined to choose from and it wouldn't just be a free for all. All other replies for other models would have to get ignored and not counted towards the following one because that next one out could be a while and preferences, finances, etc could change things for a lot of folks by that time. Or maybe something similar with a limit of a 10 run for the not as popular models, so that it still allows chances for folks to get what they want.

Nothing wrong with a poll either, except it would need to be answered only by folks who would be pretty serious about a purchase. Otherwise, you're just picking a favorite model among the community and it may not be as geared towards or useful go gauge a group buy model.

Lady1911, SLOsmokin, Odaon and 2 others like this.
  11. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Noah, I'll be bringing all my leather making tools and Rick and I will be sitting at our picnic table working away. We could definitely come up with something good for the HB group buy knives. @Rick Lowe you up for the task?

Tutone, Bmurray and Odaon like this.
  12. Choppaman

May 6, 2017
    I would be in for something one off for this HB group buy! please keep us posted.

Lady1911, Bmurray and Odaon like this.
  13. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I consider the Hiking Buddy to be one of the more popular and widely appealing Fiddlebacks, and yet there were folks who might not have gotten in on the group buy because their choice of options was not offered (I’m thinking of the OD scales that a few expressed interest in before the group buy was made official). And I don’t recall anyone choosing Black micarta on yesterday’s sale, so a poll might have gauged interest way in advance, before the guys decided on those final 4 options.

To piggyback on @Warrior108’s post, I think a limited 10-run group buy could have its advantages. Even though I’d like to see a LL group buy, I’m honestly not sure it would get 20 spots filled as quickly as the HB.

And yes, the poll would have to come after the initial feelers were put out to make sure folks aren’t just voting on a favorite. I’d be guilty of falling into that category, perhaps. :) It’s easy to click on a poll just for the sake of voting, as in “that’s my favorite, cool I hope they make more of those,” and much different when one is voting with intention to purchase their selection one day.

CAD, Nbrackett and Choppaman like this.
  14. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I was thinking something just like OKT did at https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pre-order.1522386/ . I don't know if a moderator gets a list of who responded to the poll along with their choice, but if so, that would be helpful.

15. Lady1911

Jan 31, 2018
    I’d say that’s a pretty solid list!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But if they did Osage for a LL, would they offer white and natural, or natural and blue (which seems to be the choice among most)?? That’s probably what I’d be thinking if I was in @odaon’s shoes. :D

I think @RobbieB might have hit on one way to help solve some of the dilemma.

16. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Excellent, @RL as well!

17. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Of the Osage and natural offerings blue and white are the most common pinstripes. They just did a blue, so next has to be white by rule, right? Right!? :D

My hope is that if I keep saying that I want a 3/32 Lil Lady in Osage, natural, and white to match my OS Lady @VANCE will eventually make one...

18. Lady1911

Jan 31, 2018
    Or.....they might do a Matching Set Group Buy!?! This could get dangerous. ;)

OSL/LL
    Bushboot/Babyboot
    Hermit/Tasker
    Karda Trifecta
    Etc.......

Nbrackett, Warrior108 and VANCE like this.
  19. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Yep!!! Given a bit of OCD, I'd be looking for matching handles and blade steel across a few models. :D

20. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    A Ladyfinger group buy sounds nice. :D

Lady1911 likes this.