Official BK18 Harpoon Thread

I might mention, you know, in passing, I ordered one from Tomar's Tuesday night.
~~~
"Ding Dong"!
"Yes?"
"Tomar's Delivery."
"For me???" Oh, you shouldn't have!!" :D
cBJCv9z.jpg

"What EVER could it be?"
B80gSEF.jpg

"Hmmm..."
7RhfzaX.jpg

"You know, I bet this will match the Jeep."
Qt2wO0C.jpg

"Hmmm, where will this lead?"
L6X7I6T.jpg

"Did I mention I got mine from Tomar's?"
:D

Just arrived :thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1297540 View attachment 1297541 A look with a couple other similar Knives the Globetrotter and 17 I think this BK18 is one of the best Sheath-Knife combos yet from KaBar :thumbsup::thumbsup: All USA too nicely done KaBar!
nice!!! Starting to wish I picked up a 17 when they were easily obtained. I was torn between the 16 and the 17 and I could get only one at the time.

Thanks for those pics. Good comparison.
Thank you! They are pics I wish I could have seen before purchasing so thought they may help!

Friggin' knife Center, of course I haven't even gotten shipping conf. yet.

anyone get both black and the bronze knives to compare the coating texture?

The black has a nice fairly smooth coating ... if the bronze is as smooth I may want to pick one of those up too.

If not I may grab another black and strip one.

I put a set of micarta on it and took the edge down a bit today ...
20200307_131935_resized_2.jpg

Last edited:
anyone get both black and the bronze knives to compare the coating texture?

The black has a nice fairly smooth coating ... if the bronze is as smooth I may want to pick one of those up too.

If not I may grab another black and strip one.

I put a set of micarta on it and took the edge down a bit today ...
View attachment 1298149

I have the black and the tan should be here Monday. I’ll compare if nobody gets to it before then.

Great pics since I looked only a few hours ago!
Waiting for the first stripper...

GeofS, that BK-17 does not look pristine... someone done tried to sharpen it!

Looks great. How’s the primary saber grind? Is the knife thin like the 16?

I like the primary sabre grind and it had a nice edge on it ... but I took the edge down around 17⁰ per side with a 20⁰ micro bevel ... it's sweet at that angle ... push cuts through some register sales paper and shaved a couple feather sticks with ease.

It is a thin and light blade like the 16 ... and has a pointier tip and maybe more belly than the 16 from the curve and being a taller blade.

I used the harpoon swedge and made some fuzz from a dry pine branch just to try it out ... I may not fully sharpen the swedge but might put a better dull edge on the it if I pick up another knife to strip ... just to use the swedge to scrape fuzz for fires.

Last edited:
I just finished putting stainless screws into my new 18s. :thumbsup:

With the 98 as an exception, these are my pristine back-up tweeners...
s4iaieR.jpg

Sure wish I had another 98. Lol
I just finished putting stainless screws into my new 18s. :thumbsup:

With the 98 as an exception, these are my pristine back-up tweeners...
s4iaieR.jpg

Sure wish I had another 98. Lol

I would like to find a 98 myself ! ...did you use stainless steel or silver Ti fasteners? ... I may look into getting some Ti hardware to fit if anyone knows where to get some?

Last edited:
Great pics since I looked only a few hours ago!
Waiting for the first stripper...

GeofS, that BK-17 does not look pristine... someone done tried to sharpen it!
Perhaps, the previous owner tried to stroop it. It’s not the grind, it’s the coating near it.

No worries anyway, I have another. :)

I would like to find a 98 myself ! ...did you use stainless steel or silver Ti fasteners? ... I may look into getting some Ti hardware to fit if anyone knows where to get some?
It’s stainless. I did see some Ti on Amazon a few months back, they were substantially more expensive. For me, it just wasn’t worth doing on a 1095 blade.

Back