Official Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet and Forest/Felling Axe Thread Pics/Video's

That's the plan. I've been scouring the internet for comparison photos and videos. None appear to be as bad as mine. I can accept some gaps, but the metal shim is just weak sauce on a $200 axe. It's disappointing that Gransfors is even employing this practice.

I'll be contacting Gransfors USA in the morning to see what they have to say. I'll report back here if anybody's interested.

I see the maker initials are also hard to make out. I would wager this is NOT common practice at GB. First I have seen of it anyways. Let us know how you make out.

Just some pics from a recent outing

P5080234.jpg

And a Little old with the new, the small forest ax, with a Busse SCABS, and excelent knife in my opinion, on that trip I brought out three knives, that Busse, a Falkniiven F1, and a Mora Bushcraft, and the Busse was my favorite for making kindling, spoon carving and general Bushcraft tasks, was pretty darn sharp too after all that, and about 30 seconds on the strop got it back in business.

P5080235.jpg

Are there any updates about the warranty issues Mr.NoSmiles

Yes, I do have some news. I should be getting a replacement axe this week (I hope) and was waiting until then to update. Gransfors' US distributor has proven to be very helpful. They forwarded my photos and concerns on to Sweden for their opinion. Both the distributor and the folks in Sweden agreed that the axe wasn't fit for use. Thankfully, I was provided with a prepaid shipping label for the return to the distributor. It's been a few weeks waiting, but the issue should be resolved any day now.

The defective axe was the 35" version, which they don't have on hand at the moment, so I opted to replace it with the 31" instead of waiting. In my mind, the capabilities of the two versions overlap about 90%, so either will do. The slight loss of power and reach is offset by the increase in maneuverability etc. etc. I'm just an armchair woodsman though. Paul Bunyan might have a stronger preference.

Anyway, stand by for photos of the new chopper when she arrives.

Yes, I do have some news. I should be getting a replacement axe this week (I hope) and was waiting until then to update. Gransfors' US distributor has proven to be very helpful. They forwarded my photos and concerns on to Sweden for their opinion. Both the distributor and the folks in Sweden agreed that the axe wasn't fit for use. Thankfully, I was provided with a prepaid shipping label for the return to the distributor. It's been a few weeks waiting, but the issue should be resolved any day now.

The defective axe was the 35" version, which they don't have on hand at the moment, so I opted to replace it with the 31" instead of waiting. In my mind, the capabilities of the two versions overlap about 90%, so either will do. The slight loss of power and reach is offset by the increase in maneuverability etc. etc. I'm just an armchair woodsman though. Paul Bunyan might have a stronger preference.

Anyway, stand by for photos of the new chopper when she arrives.

I am glad to see GB stepped right up. I didn't expect otherwise. I am sure they will figure out the breakdown at the factory.

You will love the 31" plenty. I have it and love it.

At long last I've received my replacement axe. The US Gransfors distributor customer service was very helpful. Although it took some time, they've upheld their guarantee. Also, it turns out that they were able to track down a 35" version after all.

The replacement axe head looks great, very even and symmetrical with a good eye. The handle-to-head fit is just as it should be, as you can see below.

0001-2_resized.jpg

0002-2_resized.jpg

The handle is fitted excellently, but the grain is a bit mediocre. It seems a perfect axe handle is a rare bird these days. As you can see, the grain orientation isn't ideal, especially at the business end. There's also a bit of heartwood in a couple of spots, but I'm more annoyed with the grain. In any case, it's time to use the dickens out of it and see what happens.

0004-2_resized.jpg

0003-2_resized.jpg

Not too much in the way of usage pictures here, so I guess I'll post a few.

I brought my SFA, Enzo Trapper and Laplander with me on my trip to the Philippines last month. I figured that while a large blade would probably be more fitting, getting one there would be a lot easier than a decent axe.. I ended up visiting a blacksmith and getting a left-handed bolo blade made up (bolos there tend to be flat ground on one side and convex on the other.. but in a manner fitting for right handed users)

I ended up making a handle for it myself out of guava. Heated the tang up, pounded it into a cut portion of guava, then did the shaping with my axe and knife:
DSCF6294.jpg

DSCF6289.jpg

And here's the finished product back in the US:
DSCF6661.jpg

DSCF6662.jpg

DSCF6664.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I'll also toss in some shots of yesterday's work. A limb on our cherry tree was partially rotten and needed to come down... so I did the most logical and completely safe thing by grabbing my GB Scandi, hopping atop a rickety wine rack and hacking away at the thing:

DSCF6554.jpg

DSCF6549.jpg

All sorts of stable:
DSCF6552.jpg

Pretty decent sized limb - everything above that old woodpecker nest was rotten out though:
DSCF6555.jpg

Checking the front cut as well as the back:
DSCF6557.jpg

DSCF6558.jpg

Then hacking away at the back. This limb was only about a foot away from the one behind it, so taking proper strokes without glancing blows required a good bit of focus and attack-angles that I didn't feel entirely comfortable with:
DSCF6559.jpg

DSCF6560.jpg

I believe the last stroke before it went down.. My friend, although at a safe distance, freaked when it snapped and crashed, and didn't get a shot of it falling:
DSCF6561.jpg

A wee bit of collateral damage, but nothing that anyone cared about, hence why it wasn't moved. I guess I didn't waste any time getting down to limb the thing and section it out:
DSCF6565.jpg

Flying chips - one to the forehead and another flying by my shoulder:
DSCF6572.jpg

Having all sorts of fun:
DSCF6589.jpg

DSCF6590.jpg

DSCF6599.jpg

Sadly, the rest of the work (sectioning the limb out) fell to my newly hung 32" 3.5lb Vintage Keen Kutter, so I'm not sure if I should be posting that part here..

Last edited:
i love this thread , i got a GB small forest axe the year before last year,really really well made .

Back