1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Official Micarta Thread - Rats and Hogs!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by FloridaBlade, Apr 4, 2016.

1. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    I have been collecting various knives with micarta scales for a couple years now. In fact, one of the things that attracted me to Busse & Kin is the beautiful and unique micarta handles found on these blades.

So I thought maybe we could start a new thread to get some photos up and help identify the different variants of micarta that one might order, or we might come across on the exchange or wherever. Could be a useful database for newbies. As you know, I am kind of new here and I really don't know all the names and styles myself yet, especially on some of the older offerings that might pop up for sale.

Last time I checked, I don't think I saw where Swamp Rat or Busse even has a page on their site to help buyers actually see the basic colors of canvas micarta (black, tan, green, maroon)???

So please grab your cameras or smart phones and snap some nice CLOSEUP DETAIL SHOTS of your micarta (or other people's micarta) :D

Best examples would be close up shots of the scales in natural daylight (sitting on a table next to a window for example or in the sunlight would be great). Side-lighting is going to be best to highlight the awesome textures that have become part of the signature of the Rats and Hogs.

—and please describe what it is your posting; canvas, tiger hide, snakeskin, paper, etc.

I'll get things started with several of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen. And these are not mine; I picked up the image from an old thread (I think these belong to Jaxx) — I'm pretty sure the two in the center are probably standard black canvas (FSH and ASH), with the second example from the left being like what I am expecting on my new 5/16" Fusion Steel Heart when it arrives, right?

But I gotta say, the example on the far left is my favorite, and I have no idea what that one is but it really is gorgeous. I would really love to see some of these more unusual colors offered on the BG lineup!

Anyway, feel free to embellish and add more images as you see fit! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Here's a decent reference pic of some old school micarta;
    I think this is black micarta, it's on my 2nd Gen Ratweiler...

[​IMG]

3. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    In the foreground is a closeup of the latest black canvas micarta on the new CG Ratweiler.
    I would say this nice diagonal texture has become the new "standard" for many of the SW knives; although there are still some other variations offered and we have seen some variations in the beveling around the holes in the scales. It should also be noted that there will be variations in the contour of the different generations of micarta slabs as well, although it's not easy to see in every photo, some of the old school scales were more flat and less curvy in the hand.

[​IMG]

4. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
  5. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Starting top left, tan canvas micarta RW CG, top right black micarta RW CG, skipping over the fiddleback to the RW LE in black canvas (darkened with use) with yellow liners, and finally the M9 on bottom with red & black g10.

[​IMG]

6. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Howdy HK,
    Yep you're right - but you know what's funny is the Busse handle page only shows two canvas colors, but when I ordered my BGFSH last month I was offered 4 different colors of canvas; and the green and maroon isn't even on there.

http://www.bussecombat.com/handle-options/

Plus I am hoping to get some more insight into those older colors like the ones in my OP; any idea what that one on the left is?

7. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The current green and maroon options are relatively new - starting in O2W, and first offered on the Boom Parang (Jan 13)

8. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Left to right (top to bottom)
    CGFBM black/"Snakeskin" canvas micarta
    FSH black/black canvas micarta
    Skinny ASH-1 black/black canvas micarta
    SJTAC black/Snakeskin canvas micarta

[​IMG]

9. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Yep, the green and maroon are very recent, probably haven't updated the website yet. I love seeing all the color variations in tigerhide and snakeskin. I don't have any of those and am far from an expert on them. That one you posted about on the left, that looks like it's on a CG FBM by the CBT. I would love to have that blade! :) But no, I'm not sure of the handle material. Good thread, I'll be watching with interest :thumbup:

ETA: Looks like Jaxx labeled them while I was posting. :)

10. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    My post above yours, Hard Knocks, is another pic of the same group in the OP. :) The CGFBM & SJTAC both have Snakeskin canvas micarta. :thumbup:

11. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Yep, I think that snakeskin on the left/top is the best lookin micarta ever. :thumbup:
    I wonder when was this made and why on earth is Busse not still offering this material?
    I can't believe we don't have more pics on here yet.

12. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Micarta Scales Tutorial. Pretty basic but kinda cool, found this on YouTube...

[video=youtube;nwtz6o7ltj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwtz6o7ltj0[/video]

13. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    More detailed video, much better...

[video=youtube;BM2H_IPWjBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2H_IPWjBY[/video]

14. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Various micarta on Rats. Tan, tan, 'nother tan, black, and brown canvas micartas...

[​IMG]

15. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Wow, there's a lot of variation in the tan! That Crash Rat, ooh lah lah!

Jaxx, is that CG FBM with the snakeskin yours? That is one fine-looking blade.

16. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Beautiful, isn't it? And I love the way it feels in the hand, too.
    I've got micarta on my Tops, my RD-7, my Becker too.
    But nobody does micarta like the Bussekin does micarta.

I'm wondering how does Busse make the patterns on these handles, is it molded that way when they lay up the material/resin or do they carve the patterns after the micarta is done?

17. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will

Jun 5, 2012
    If I had to guess I would say they are CNC machined, the machining exposes the layers of different fabric and colors while creating the texture.

18. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Hard Knocks, yes it's one of them. ;)

Twins (sterile & maker's mark)
    [​IMG]

The other, a sterile (no logo) twin of the one posted:
    [​IMG]

19. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Another fine example of micarta goodness... A limited run CGFBM, Tanker Grey with hand shaped & smoothed green linen.

[​IMG]

20. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    ^--- This, the TigerHide and SnakeSkin micarta are my FAVORITES!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just can't wait to see what the new green canvas looks like in person!