1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Official Micarta Thread - Rats and Hogs!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by FloridaBlade, Apr 4, 2016.

1. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Jaxx thanks for adding the pics :thumbup:

2. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Ahh yes, CNC, a.k.a. computerized numerical control.
    That would explain the consistent pattern. I would like to see this process.

Now, how do we go about getting Busse to provide an option of snakeskin micarta on these new blades?
    Surely this is possible, it's not like they can't make more.

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Lol. Probably one of twenty-seven :) I've got a CG FBM fund started. It and the NMFSH are two that really pull me toward them. Thank you sir.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will

Jun 5, 2012
    I am in the process of becoming a certified machinist, I use cnc lathes and mills. Very cool stuff I got a couple short vids of random items being made, but im sure youtube has a million vids of cnc machines making all kinds of stuff.

Here is a pic of my rmd [​IMG]

5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I'd love to see the snakeskin offered, and I imagine it would sell like hotcakes. Of course everything Jerry offers flies out the door :)

Here's a pretty good shot of some nice black canvas on a custom shop R4.

[​IMG]

6. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Here's a recent pic of the JMD and RMD in black, and tan canvas, respectively:

[​IMG]

The JMD came with a fair amount of oil or something on the scales and was almost totally black at first, but they mellowed out quickly with some use (after the puc was taken). The RMD scales came bone dry and I worked a very small amount of mineral oil into them, which brought out the color in the pic.

7. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Wow, the jack looks a LOT bigger than I expected from the specs! awesome as the drop-point is, glad I held back. Thanks for posting!

8. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    HK that's a much better pic; nice and closeup! :thumbup:

9. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    It's different than I imagined, but I'm really happy it is. I tought it would just be a slightly larger RMD, but in reality it feels like a completely different knife. The JMD has a much larger blade profile, a deeper, wider choil, and slim, contoured scales. I'm sure it' not for everyone, but I'm glad I didn't hold back! :)

10. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Lookin good, AD! :thumbup:

12. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    More black micarta rats (missing the R9):

[​IMG]

new Ratweiler black canvas

[​IMG]

Here's one of the R9, needs a sanding-bath to rough up the scales again...

[​IMG]

One more, black paper on a Hog Muk

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  13. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    Snakeskin bottom and on the top "something else micarta"...

[​IMG]

14. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Speaking of "something else" micarta...diggin' yours, ragnerok :thumbup: ...this one's ripstop camo micarta Garth tried on my HAM after finding it @ Knob Creek. :)

[​IMG]

15. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Great photos guys, thanks for putting these up!
    Love the way the light is hitting that black paper on the Muk. :thumbup:

16. Robdude

Robdude Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2015
    I usually don't like the tan micarta..but when it looks like wood (like on this ratweiler pic) it looks bad ass

17. drift draft

drift draft

May 12, 2007
    I always liked this version of tan.
    [​IMG]