Official Micarta Thread - Rats and Hogs!

I'm wondering how does Busse make the patterns on these handles, is it molded that way when they lay up the material/resin or do they carve the patterns after the micarta is done?

If I had to guess I would say they are CNC machined, the machining exposes the layers of different fabric and colors while creating the texture.
Ahh yes, CNC, a.k.a. computerized numerical control.
That would explain the consistent pattern. I would like to see this process.

Now, how do we go about getting Busse to provide an option of snakeskin micarta on these new blades?
Surely this is possible, it's not like they can't make more.

Hard Knocks, yes it's one of them. ;)

Lol. Probably one of twenty-seven :) I've got a CG FBM fund started. It and the NMFSH are two that really pull me toward them. Thank you sir.

Last edited:
I am in the process of becoming a certified machinist, I use cnc lathes and mills. Very cool stuff I got a couple short vids of random items being made, but im sure youtube has a million vids of cnc machines making all kinds of stuff.

Here is a pic of my rmd
v2JYZgd.jpg
Ahh yes, CNC, a.k.a. computerized numerical control.
That would explain the consistent pattern. I would like to see this process.

Now, how do we go about getting Busse to provide an option of snakeskin micarta on these new blades?

I'd love to see the snakeskin offered, and I imagine it would sell like hotcakes. Of course everything Jerry offers flies out the door :)

Here's a pretty good shot of some nice black canvas on a custom shop R4.

Here's a recent pic of the JMD and RMD in black, and tan canvas, respectively:

2igopzm.jpg

The JMD came with a fair amount of oil or something on the scales and was almost totally black at first, but they mellowed out quickly with some use (after the puc was taken). The RMD scales came bone dry and I worked a very small amount of mineral oil into them, which brought out the color in the pic.

Here's a recent pic of the JMD and RMD in black, and tan canvas, respectively:

2igopzm.jpg

The JMD came with a fair amount of oil or something on the scales and was almost totally black at first, but they mellowed out quickly with some use (after the puc was taken). The RMD scales came bone dry and I worked a very small amount of mineral oil into them, which brought out the color in the pic.

Wow, the jack looks a LOT bigger than I expected from the specs! awesome as the drop-point is, glad I held back. Thanks for posting!

I'd love to see the snakeskin offered, and I imagine it would sell like hotcakes. Of course everything Jerry offers flies out the door :)

Here's a pretty good shot of some nice black canvas on a custom shop R4.

HK that's a much better pic; nice and closeup! :thumbup:

Wow, the jack looks a LOT bigger than I expected from the specs! awesome as the drop-point is, glad I held back. Thanks for posting!

It's different than I imagined, but I'm really happy it is. I tought it would just be a slightly larger RMD, but in reality it feels like a completely different knife. The JMD has a much larger blade profile, a deeper, wider choil, and slim, contoured scales. I'm sure it' not for everyone, but I'm glad I didn't hold back! :)

More black micarta rats (missing the R9):

P1020621.JPG

new Ratweiler black canvas

P1040879.JPG

Here's one of the R9, needs a sanding-bath to rough up the scales again...

P1040482.JPG

One more, black paper on a Hog Muk

P1040094.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of "something else" micarta...diggin' yours, ragnerok :thumbup: ...this one's ripstop camo micarta Garth tried on my HAM after finding it @ Knob Creek. :)

Busse-CustomShop_HAM_zps133b82e1.jpg

Great photos guys, thanks for putting these up!
Love the way the light is hitting that black paper on the Muk. :thumbup:

Various micarta on Rats. Tan, tan, 'nother tan, black, and brown canvas micartas...

SRKW_RAT_Stash.jpg

I usually don't like the tan micarta..but when it looks like wood (like on this ratweiler pic) it looks bad ass

Back