Oh my.....The Prices on Ebay....some goodies!

Codger_64

I see a really good deal on ebay every now and then. Tonight, for instance, I got a NIB 47OT Beast. For the $4.99 opening bid. Even with shipping it will be less than the $11 wallyworld specials I've been hearing about. The MSRP on it was $37.95, so I saved a penny or two. I'll add it to the collection of greenies I am keeping for the kids.

Codger

"But Honey, it's for the children!" :)

Here's the newest member of my little family:
old15OT.JPG

The auction read:
THIS IS A VINTAGE WELL USED SCHRADE OLD TIMER 150T HUNTING KNIFE WITH SHEATH. IT HAS A SMALL NICK NEAR THE BLADE TIP. I GOT IT FROM A FELLOW WHO USED IT WHEN WILD PIG HUNTING. SAYS IT HAS SEEN A LOT OF USE.

It definately has seen some use. I got it to be a "user" and maybe do a custom handle. I had hoped I could salvage the sheath, but I'm less hopeful now and may just retire it and make a new one.

For $17, I'm happy.

Codger_64

A new original sheath can be found with a bit of scrounging. Maybe someone here has one. As for the rehandle, that knife would look good with Ebony scales or Sambar Stag. I am using birdseye maple on some of my OT's and tiger maple on some. One special 165OT is a toss up between Mammoth Ivory and Ebony.

Codger
P.S.: I hope someone here got that 15OT I wanted on ebay! You know, the special one ;)

Codger_64

And now a 43OT Pocket Beast for $2.75. Greenies complete now except for the (2?) fillet knives.

I just wish that guy buying all the 160OT's would get his fill of them and give someone else a chance! :confused:

Codger_64,
Make sure you post a picture if you do a handle with mammoth ivory, as that sounds very cool for a nice old knife. I have one little custom with mammoth, and the colors are very "Warm" and it begs to be held and used. :cool:

Bill

JHouston,
a nice pickbone handle would look good on that!!! You could even get some brown pickbone to match!!!

Give Kovals a call, they are not far from me in New Albany. Thats where I buy most all my knife making supplies.

(614) 855-0777

textoothpk

BANNED
A freaking FILET knife going for that much? Granted, it is a fine one, but wow. Must be a record for a fish cleaning tool.

It's not just ebay. I went to a Gun and Knife show this past weekend and every one of those guys with a Schrade thought he was sitting on a gold mine.

Phil

Irv,
I belong to the Camillus Club and in their latest newsletter they list a new series obviously to fill the Old Timer gap. :eek:
This fixed blade is just one of 5 new Gran'Pa series knives.
They also show a 5"Lockback,Three Blade Stockman,an Improved Muskrat and a Single blade trapper.
The Sharpfinger copy and the Stockman have those oh so familiar Old Timer handles while the others have the Delrin/Bone handles seen on other Camillus's.
With the exception of the 5" Lockback they all have Carbon Steel blades. :D

Kap :cool:

lrv

kk,
Thanks
Made a posting over in the Camillus board..
Looks like there is an active moderator over there.

TTYL
Larry

textoothpk

BANNED
Good grief. I like that 152. Who of us wouldn't? Nice to see that pattern alive and well. And there is a family connection to our beloved Schrade. If I recall correctly, we discussed back in August about what company would come as close to Schrade and most of us mentioned Camillus. One of my personal favorite brands.

Thanks for posting, Kap and Larry.
Phil

textoothpk

BANNED
Oh yeah.. I recall wild pig hunting from my years spent in Florida. It's wild, rowdy, exciting. Those little beasties are pure berserkers. That knife fits in perfect.

Sent ya an email, JHouston, let's get that old warrior of yours into a new sheath.

Phil

Codger_64

Is it possible that Camillus bought the patents for a few of the Old Timer fixed blades? If so, we might see a revival of several more historic patterns! I do know that when patents expire and are not renewed by the owner, they become public domain. I cannot think of a better brand to carry on the OT's than Camillus. :)

Actually I heard that Taylor bought the Old Timer and Uncle Henry trademarks. From what I understand, they are planning to continue the lines....Hopefully they will stay American-made, but I have a feeling we might not be so lucky.

Codger_64

That is what I understood too UHFan, but if you buy an expired patent, you have bought nothing. At any rate, Camillus IS evidently producing the 152 pattern... if the patent maintenance fees HAVE been paid by the new asignee, Taylor, they may have just licensed production rights to Camillus.

And remember, a Trademark is not the same thing as a Design or Utility patent. Camillus DID change the name from "Old Timer" (trademark) on the 152's (Design patent) right?

Codger_64

Well, that one went begging. Not one bid. I would have thought a Camillus collector would have wanted it, if not a Schrade collector. :confused:

Maybe there weren't any takers because:
It was a 3-day listing.
And, there's so many Schrades listed on Ebay that it's easy to overlook interesting things.
Also, the asking price is probably around regular retail, if it's to be a regular offering.
Or ...