Oh, The Weather Outside Is Snarkful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice write up, glad the tree didn't hit the cabin too! Looks like a nice ax, I like the blade shape. I would mainly be using to drop small to medium cedars. We have an over abundance of them here in Texas, thanks to the German's ;)

Thanks. It's awesome for limbing. I did cut down a few smaller trees too, and it worked great. The big tree was dead, and that wood was very hard. I'm sure it would have fared better if that size tree were still alive and green.

A while ago my girlfriend found some bacon of the month club kinda thing and mentioned Bentons. Seeing how I've always wanted to try it I told her. Well a late Christmas present showed up today. Four packs of bacon and a cured ham!! So looking forward to tearing into these!!!

I can actually smell the heavenly aroma coming from that box Nick. Damn. :thumbup:

ah, the old E-Nep :D

got me a couple of the council tools double-bit 130th commemorative saddle axes - amazing tools

they will shortly have a Velilux version for $45 less monies. y'all want one...

comm_axe.jpg

Nice write up, glad the tree didn't hit the cabin too! Looks like a nice ax, I like the blade shape. I would mainly be using to drop small to medium cedars. We have an over abundance of them here in Texas, thanks to the German's ;)

I'm confused. Why blame the Germans for Ashe Junipers? The junipers were here for a few thousand years before any Germanic heritage people started arriving in 1837. And to my knowledge Germans killed millions of the damn things clearing the land for cattle and crops. I know that my folks are responsible for the termination of a few thousand of them.

I'm confused. Why blame the Germans for Ashe Junipers? The junipers were here for a few thousand years before any Germanic heritage people started arriving in 1837. And to my knowledge Germans killed millions of the damn things clearing the land for cattle and crops. I know that my folks are responsible for the termination of a few thousand of them.

the main cause for the spread of ceder throughout Texas and Oklahoma is lack of fire. before people started becoming afraid of it, fire would come through every year or so burning off grass and saplings allowing it all to grow back healthy the next year. well when people stared controlling fire it allowed ceders to grow to much larger sizes to the point where when fire finally did come through it wasn't enough to kill any of the larger older trees. this allowed the ceder population to grow unchecked and take over much of the grass/range land in the central united states. so technically is peoples fault, just not sure about the germans.

the main cause for the spread of ceder throughout Texas and Oklahoma is lack of fire. before people started becoming afraid of it, fire would come through every year or so burning off grass and saplings allowing it all to grow back healthy the next year. well when people stared controlling fire it allowed ceders to grow to much larger sizes to the point where when fire finally did come through it wasn't enough to kill any of the larger older trees. this allowed the ceder population to grow unchecked and take over much of the grass/range land in the central united states. so technically is peoples fault, just not sure about the germans.

I'm not a native Texican, but I was told that the "mountain cedar" (as ZZ points out, actually the ashe juniper, as opposed to red cedar...aka real cedar trees) were spread up though central Texas from Mexico by the cattle drives along the Chisholm (and others) Trail. The cattle supposedly browsed on the berries and then spread them north as they went. I would also imagine that Spike is correct that the lack of fire has helped them compete against the native species. If this is all true, then the mountain cedars are illegal aliens... ;)

I'm not a native Texican, but I was told that the "mountain cedar" (as ZZ points out, actually the ashe juniper, as opposed to red cedar...aka real cedar trees) were spread up though central Texas from Mexico by the cattle drives along the Chisholm (and others) Trail. The cattle supposedly browsed on the berries and then spread them north as they went. I would also imagine that Spike is correct that the lack of fire has helped them compete against the native species. If this is all true, then the mountain cedars are illegal aliens... ;)

My first comment was based on a National Geographic article I read sometime around 1999, I think. I talked about the German settlers planting Cedars for a fast growing wood source for cabins, barns, fences, etc.
I had not looked it up since as I took it for gospel. I just read a couple of informative articles that talk about how the last ice age wiped them out of central Texas, then they repopulated from Mexico way as well as the lack of fire causing them to get a better foot hold. It is very interesting to me as I am (usually) affected by "cedar season". Although, this year (knocks on wood profusely!) with the record pollen counts I have not had it very bad. I also spent years in my teens walking fields with loppers to cut down cedar seedlings (nasty stuff!). We cleared our family ranch back in the 80's and today you couldn't tell any difference. The worst part is the oak decline has made even more room for cedars.
Thanks for the info you all, It is a very interesting subject to me.

I have noticed that Beckerheads, in general, seem to possess an abundance of esoteric knowledge.

This thread needs more bacon wrapped, maple mustard pork loin.

395e2a173001cf27b521cac0526f2109.jpg

And i agree, I've said it before; if civilization falls, we all meet up at Uncle E's and there is nothing the Beckerheads could not accomplish.

This thread needs more bacon wrapped, maple mustard pork loin.

395e2a173001cf27b521cac0526f2109.jpg

And i agree, I've said it before; if civilization falls, we all meet up at Uncle E's and there is nothing the Beckerheads could not accomplish.

..was going to post something or other about mountain cedar and .. bacon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back