Oil?

Any oil really (well I suppose not used motor oil.... ;)

I use mineral oil, or sometimes just olive or vegetable oil!

If you want a more permanent rust inhibitor (takes a bit more to rub off than other oil) try TUF-glide cloth I think it's called. Lots of people use that and it works well.

Mineral oil is good, i like rem oil because it goes on wet and leaves a dry film that resists rust. anything really is good you could use olive oil.

gun oil works great, though I wouldn't use it for a knife that sees cooking use. Mineral oil and silicone rags do a great job.

i don't use my esee knives with food so i use slip 2000 ewl. doesn't dry out and won't go rancid over time unlike food grade oil like olive oil, etc.

I use olive oil. Food safe and doesn't go rancid as quickly as other cooking oils. (It's a myth that it doesn't ever go bad but it does take alot longer.)

Tuff cloth works great. Use mineral oil on some of my slippies that I eat with....... Helps with digestion. Lol

I've been using mineral oil but others like RemOil or TufGlide will work too.

around here "gun oil" -= ATF or sometimes Mobil 1 motor oil.

nothing wrong with RemOil or CLP except the price.

but not for cooking with.

i keep generic WD-40 around mostly for cleaning, not lubrication... but if i want the small can for use in the motorcycle tank bag it's gotta be real WD-4-. (good chain cleaner and decent lube)

i don't use my esee knives with food so i use slip 2000 ewl. doesn't dry out and won't go rancid over time unlike food grade oil like olive oil, etc.

I use Slip2000 EWL on my firearms & knives. It's fan-freakin'-tastic.

it's not like a little rem oil, wd-40, clp, or tuf cloth residue will kill ya if you use 'em on the knives and then use 'em for cooking....

...or I'd be way dead by now! lol! :)

Last edited:
Pretty much anything will work, just watch out what you put on it if you expect to prep food with it too.
I said this in another thread but couldn't remember what type of oil is tricky. Well it's linseed oil. If you have it check if it' boiled. If it is - it's toxic. If it's not - it's one of the healthiest oils on the market (my grandfather was a healthy living freak so I know a few things like that)

Screaming Eagle synthetic . Full change every 2500 miles ( oops wrong forum, tuf-cloth for me )

Back