OKC knives bend

Hi OKC and you all.

Today i try bent some of my knives with my bare hands.
I am not intend to damage or break my knives , just curious about who much my knives can take before get permanent bent and try to check it flexible or not.
I tryed my two OKC499,SP2,kabar usmc ,kabar short usmc and mk1, all of these knvies get permanent bent easily ,and there is no sign of flexibility on those knvies.
what a big suprise , i am not Hulk anyway , i am just a normal person with 220Lbs weight.
then i tryed on my sp5 and sp10 , and i can not bend it with my hands.

i bend those knives with my bare hands ,is that normal ?

Contact Ontario for replacements for the Ontarios. :D
ok. i will try to cantact OKC and KABAR latter.
may be there are bad lemons in vast prodcution knives.
it is suposed that fully harden tang can take much pressure before get permanent bending , and the tangs ought to be flexible.
i will try other SP knives , is it a kind of violatition on warranty ? is it abuse using?

Is there anyone experienced the same thing ? and what do you think ?

Those knives i tested with my bare hands are almost brand-new , just one of 499 is used outdoor one time , and just putting some cutting jobs on her.

Last edited:
I love OKC SP Knives and have bought some for years , and most of them are lying in drewer ,there is no enough time to use these knives seriously.
my Favorite so far is SP10 , I have 3 sp10s , and just one to use.
this well used SP10 is very good , i have been testing it with chopping into trunk and driving my full force on the handle towards right and left.
and there is nothing damaging to the knife , i trusted her.

After did this test(may be can called a test , who knows.)last night on my six knives, i am confusing now with some questions in my mind and have no answers.
1.short usmc is tiny knife with tiny hiden tang in handle , i can bend it easily with my hands , that is not the fault of the knife , but there should flexible and the tang should get back to zero when i relese the pressure on the handle. at lest there is a flexible zone , is it right ?

2. OKC 499 and sp2 both are stout , and i have seen a vid from Youtube that a tester hang his bady weight on sp2 , and there is nothing to the blade and tang. both knives are indeed tougher than tiny short usmc , but there is no ablity back to zero . is it right ?

3. i bend six knives last night , and all of them are the same that get bend permanently soo easy with no sign of flexiblity. so many bad lemons i bought ?

4. I am not intend to damage those nice knives deliberately , and does not put my full force on those knives , just a tentative move in a controlled way ,is it abuse ?

5. if i try to test all my okc and kabar knives with this kind simple method , can i get replacement ?

6. as i said i have been test sp10 , and there is a flex zone. my well used kabar kukri machete , cold steel gladius machete ,and ontario machete are tough and flexible . i can bend those to a astonishing angle , and back to zero when releasing the force on. why ?

Last edited:
this noon , i try to bend my M3 and sp6 ,and both knives bend as Expected.
you can see both of them crooked.

I also tryed on my two brand-new sp10s and sp8, i can not bend those knife , and feel a little flex in my hands when put on full strengh .

I wanna get the answer from OKC here , if those bends are normal for OKC knives , i do not ask for replacemants , cause learning truth are alway costy.

And if those bend knives are bad lemons , i will Very happy for getting replacemants from OKC.

If OKC want to checkout those knives , i will send those things to the company ,although i live in China , i pay the fee to the comany.
and i pay the shipping fee to my address when the company send qulitifed knives back.
is it fair ?

Last edited:
for years as a OKC fan i never doubt the quality of knives OKC made.
Despite mixed feelings, i want to hear what OKC and you guys think,cause i am not a knife expert anyway.
thanks
dingy.

I have a couple questions for dingy.
It is not a spring why did you try to bend a knife?
Why after damaging the first one, did you continue to damage more knives.

My 2 cents.
I don't know what OKC's warranty is, I've never used it. I would hope OKC does not repair or replace deliberate damage. That just raises the cost of their product to other customers like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: vab
How can you tell the knife is bent permanent? If the answer is that breakage is imminent, the best way to answer most of your questions from post #8. If they won’t replace a bent blade, they must replace a broken one. If you explain you were using your body’s weight to check flex, they are pretty likely to replace a blade. But I’ve never tried 6 at a time!

You didn't bend the blades, so at least that is positive news.
Literally true. Bent the tang rather than the blade. I have encountered soft tangs in some IIsakki Jarvenpaa puukot. Seems like they should not bend in ordinary use. Was this "use"?

I have a couple questions for dingy.
It is not a spring why did you try to bend a knife?
Why after damaging the first one, did you continue to damage more knives.

My 2 cents.
I don't know what OKC's warranty is, I've never used it. I would hope OKC does not repair or replace deliberate damage. That just raises the cost of their product to other customers like me.
first , the first bend is my 499 , i just wanna know how strong it was as a survival knife , and it is easy to get bend.
second, the 499 bend easily and never back to zero , so i want to try another 499 that i have , i wanna check it was a bad lemon or not.

am here never complain that those bending knives are suck , cause i am not a knife expert.
the question is that those bending is easily get and there is no sign of flex .
i just need OKC answer that it is normal ?

He said he did it on purpose using his hands. Not sure why I was mod corrected by making a little true but funny observation, not trolling. The stick Tang is likely just mild steel and not hardened or spring steel, hence will easily bend. The nylon handle looks like the nylon deformed more than bent the Tang, as it is probably a partial stick Tang.

Literally true. Bent the tang rather than the blade. I have encountered soft tangs in some IIsakki Jarvenpaa puukot. Seems like they should not bend in ordinary use. Was this "use"?
yes , my intended to bend is not any kind of use , and i know this for sure.
those knives i tested are different in strengh that m3 and sp6 are more stronger than 499s and sp2.
and yes again that those knife should not bend in ordinary use that depends on how do you set notion of ordinary.

How can you tell the knife is bent permanent? If the answer is that breakage is imminent, the best way to answer most of your questions from post #8. If they won’t replace a bent blade, they must replace a broken one. If you explain you were using your body’s weight to check flex, they are pretty likely to replace a blade. But I’ve never tried 6 at a time!

my Q to OKC is simple that i bend those knives with my bare hands is normal?
and i wanna pay shipping fees that send those knives in , in despite , even they do not replace those knives to me.
i just wanna know why those tangs bend under bare hands pressure and no flex back to zero.
and why my sp10 ,sp5 and sp8 are stronger and i felt flex when i doing the same game.

i am here does not want to get replacement , i need answers .
if those bend knives are bad lemons , and what i did is just covered under warranty , and i am happy that getting replacements from the company.

He said he did it on purpose using his hands. Not sure why I was mod corrected by making a little true but funny observation, not trolling. The stick Tang is likely just mild steel and not hardened or spring steel, hence will easily bend. The nylon handle looks like the nylon deformed more than bent the Tang, as it is probably a partial stick Tang.
there is a processing hole on tang of sp knives.
and it was a factor that bending where occured at , cause hole lossing strengh on tang.
so bending occured at the weakest part.

i have 3 machetes from OKC , and those things flexed perfectly ,when put some lateral pressure on blade.like spring.

my Q to OKC is simple that i bend those knives with my bare hands is normal?
and i wanna pay shipping fees that send those knives in , in despite , even they do not replace those knives to me.
i just wanna know why those tangs bend under bare hands pressure and no flex back to zero.
and why my sp10 ,sp5 and sp8 are stronger and i felt flex when i doing the same game.

i am here does not want to get replacement , i need answers .
if those bend knives are bad lemons , and what i did is just covered under warranty , and i am happy that getting replacements from the company.

You can call their customer service phone# first, and they will tell you where to send pics. Definitely better to get an answer before spending all that money on shipping. Ontarioknife.com is the website, phone number is listed there.

Back