Old Buck 110 (1974-80), leave it as is or restore it?

Hey all, I have a 110 that my grandfather gave me a long time ago, and I can't decide if I want to leave it as is, or restore it (touch up the brass, blade finish, grind, etc.) I'd don't know what it's worth and don't much care as I'd never sell it or anything, but I'd appreciate some input on what I should do with it. It's functionally fine, just a little weathered

Thanks,

Jon

cd96550d60dcb0906e200194be41c1cd.jpg

4128d8d25ef345bdff7720dddaf9c419.jpg

I'd send it to Buck for a spa treatment. After that you can decide if you want to use it or just put it back to pass down to another generation of your family

I'd send it to Buck for a spa treatment. After that you can decide if you want to use it or just put it back to pass down to another generation of your family
Wasn't even aware that Buck offers a refurbishing service, shows how much I know, thanks for the quick response!

Jon this is a tough call.Your grandads knife looks to be in good shape after all of these years.If I owned it,I would ask that the shop would repair the blade and leave the body alone.This would leave the character of the knife intact but recondition the blade for many more years of service.

I think I'll try and get ahold of their CS and see what could be done with the original blade, id like to keep it all original if possible.

I would replace the blade and have them spruce up the rest of the knife!

I would then strap it on and use it at every opportunity that I could!

I would replace the blade and have them spruce up the rest of the knife!

I would then strap it on and use it at every opportunity that I could!
She's no safe queen, just one of my more babied knives, even if it's older and tougher than I am haha.

You don't want to replace the blade if it's 440c. Plus, it appears to be fine and has plenty of years left on it. Take a few more "before" pictures and then send it off to Buck. Tell them not to change a thing, just pretty it up!

This is the route I would go.^ Do Not let them change that blade. Plus, the handles are of solid macassar ebony with a beefy frame. Did you get the original sheath? DM

This is the route I would go.^ Do Not let them change that blade. Plus, the handles are of solid macassar ebony with a beefy frame. Did you get the original sheath? DM
Unfortunately no, my Grandpa got rid of it before he gave me the knife, apparently it was pretty much shot so he trashed it.

If that was my knife (my Grandpa's knife) I wouldn't do a thing to it other than surface wipe it, clean out any junk (if any) in the blade well, oil the joint and touch up the edge. All the marks on that knife are superficial and don't hurt anything. I'd love it like it is. OH

If that was my knife (my Grandpa's knife) I wouldn't do a thing to it other than surface wipe it, clean out any junk (if any) in the blade well, oil the joint and touch up the edge. All the marks on that knife are superficial and don't hurt anything. I'd love it like it is. OH

I feel the same way. I like the honest patina that your 110 has and i think it looks great as is.

Jim

I think if it was my grandfather's knife handed down that I might just leave the handle alone as it looks in excellent shape just the way it is.
But, I would take most of the scratches out of the blade and put a good edge on it.

The three smaller handle pins date your knife closer to 1977 give or take a year.

I think if it was my grandfather's knife handed down that I might just leave the handle alone as it looks in excellent shape just the way it is.
But, I would take most of the scratches out of the blade and put a good edge on it.

The three smaller handle pins date your knife closer to 1977 give or take a year.
Thanks for the info! This is a real head scratcher for me because on one hand I want to clean it up the best I can while keeping it original but there's a bit of work ahead me or someone if I want to tidy up the blade.

Two questions. What would he tell you to do and what would he do himself. One of those answers should help decide your next move.

I'd either keep it as is or try to have only the scratches buffed out of the original blade. Then use it!

And new 110s are cheap right now. Buy one and use it as well, for your grand kids!

Recently my wife asked, should I die right now, would there be cool old knives left for my grand kids? I said not to worry. :eek:

Well he'd probably go on using it as is and sharpening it... enthusiastically...until there was nothing left of the blade, so I'm going to try and split the difference and use it in its current format with a little touch up here or there.

What's the blade finish like on a new 110 is it mirror polished or kind of satin finished?

EDIT: I should say a 110 of this knife's era

Last edited:
What's the blade finish like on a new 110 is it mirror polished or kind of satin finished?

EDIT: I should say a 110 of this knife's era

AFAIK the mirror finish has never been a production finish. I see it mainly on limited edition models or knives that have been modified by owners or secondary modders. The "satin" finish would be correct as far as my knowledge goes.

Back