Old edge vs. edge 2000 thread

It was requested that I start this thread. If others don't chip in it will be a very short lived thread, because I don't have a lot of information. What I do have is a Gritomatci first generation Goniometer.
AM-JKLVX3DIXM3qkkkY_TlMEI6on4bOfsN5lKBe4ohtuU7QtOwdaIPqgaDbjqE9HzlVFBoe6IbUKSAogB1DcCt0F5jEyPOPEqhjC56WCFMuNXDK22jGQgu_aEyo7sXi-c5vz6dErovWbHeni1i9_IUacUvKo=w412-h890-no
AM-JKLWTuWcVYYk3IDmDxKCu-aWrDbCEYBj1mf0HuRhdjcjp4tC7etv5eo6XsftHhdim8mNtLkSOe4lMQVanUfHvKQoVydmRdgWHbKZYVgIb7SawHhI5xGAgPvgqGUCW6bK0crX9JtTiIr-dUmg0Ygjksybt=w412-h890-no

This allows you to measure the blades angle by splitting a laser, and reflecting that out onto a scale. Here is a picture of it in use. It takes two hands to operate and at least one more to take pictures. Plus the laser tends to wash out the photo, but I think you can get the idea.
AM-JKLVigUU5lXBn8KScw5ODLE0SYM7_-o4WPjkJ8gLD4fLeO4HRJSfhuICkmsQwUdCcxFceB47I7xDjd925sHeheU4i30x9t50ZqIwuuSLWJmEd_KYp3nm1joGFRicsbDAY5SNnpcqgfWlFyd3pej893J6M=w1024

Using this I measured the angle on four knives that I have handy, and have not yet sharpened.
My Oct BOTM 500, has an angle of 22º on one side of the blade and 17º on the other. (I'll fix that when it needs sharpening.)
My Aug BOTM 120 General has an angle of 17º per side.
My April BOTM 104 has angles of 14º per side.
My March BOTM 117 also has 14º per side.

These results are consistent with what I have measured in the past on knives I have sharpened. Usually about 15º, give or take one to two degrees. Sometimes the angle varies from one side of the blade to the other. Sometimes it is perfect.

I don't have any old Buck knives with original blade grinds.

O.B.

Thank you, @OldBiker for starting this thread. With the thread presently going on about sharpening and mention of the differences in grinds of older Buck knives in many threads, this thread might prove to be very helpful and useful.

Wish everyone could have one of those gizmos for measurements :thumbsup:

I don't have any real old Bucks with unmolested edges. The oldest I could find is the 1987, 25th Anniversary 110, 440C steel. and a 1993, 425M steel, that would have edges before Buck started the 'Edge 2000'. Then I have several newer 110s with the 'Edge 2000' and 420HC steel. Hopefully others will come in with photos of other Buck knives with other edge grinds.

I'll post photos of the before and after illustration again. Photos of the four knives as side-by-side as I could get them, then the edges of the 1987 and the 2018 110 with a drop point blade, with Burlap Micarta. You can see the edge difference on those two blades.
fdW8isu.jpg

SdBEGtI.jpg

s2PkaNi.jpg

I’m curious about from what I’ve seen online in various forums that the most common angle is 40 degrees inclusive. That’s what I use with my Spyderco Sharpmaker, as I am seriously sharpening stone freehand challenged.

Does this angle provide the most generic knife usage then? Or should one go steeper?

I was surprised to see the measurements that were nicely provided by Old Biker. I wouldn't have figured that offhand.

I’m curious about from what I’ve seen online in various forums that the most common angle is 40 degrees inclusive. That’s what I use with my Spyderco Sharpmaker, as I am seriously sharpening stone freehand challenged.

Does this angle provide the most generic knife usage then? Or should one go steeper?

I was surprised to see the measurements that were nicely provided by Old Biker. I wouldn't have figured that offhand.
the 30 inclusive side i prefer. most modern steels can handle this. on wider factory bevels say a crk at 40 inclusive i just adjust my grip on the sharpmaker, so I dont have to keep switching. same with wider factory bevels than 40 inclusive or uneven bevels. I just adjust my grip angle to match. over time I reprofile to a 30 inclusive.

I used to do it all different in the past, but im content for now doing it this way. 15 per side I feel is a fine balance between thin enough and stable/strong enough for harder tasks...for most modern steels. some can handle less though, but I dont bother.

That’s a cool tool Old Biker ! I wonder how it does with a convex edge?
The way I check the original edge angle is with a Lansky sharpener that clamps to the spine and tang, then use a black marker to coat the edge and find the angle that matches and rubs all the black off. It gets a close fix on the angle but sometimes I find one that has a bit of a convex that ranges from 12-20 dps . I prefer a simple angle as it’s easier to keep on top of and less frustrating. 😝 I usually go with 15 dps.
Anyway, thanks for posting your edge angle tool, guess I need to find one now. 😆

I do remember old threads about the change. It was a big deal for Buck at that time. Consensus at the time seems the old edge stayed sharp longer but was much harder to sharpen..especially free hand with the steels Buck used. The few times I have sent one in for a Spa treatment I asked for the Edge 2000. I think its cool Buck will put the old style edge on a early knife if you ask for it.

I can see a manufacturer would or would not use one of these. At Buck it looks like free hand sharpening. Usually sharp as can be.

That's quite the gadget.

Last edited:
Back