Old Hickory Revamp Idea Thread

First off, I just want to say this right away.

If OKC or Toooj think this post is out of line, feel free to set me straight/shut down the thread, etc. I'm not trying to step on any toes here.

The Intro:

Its been mentioned around here a few times that OKC is thinking of ways to revamp the Old Hickory line. Now, I have absolutely no idea what their plans are. However, if they're still in the planning/brainstorming stages, perhaps we could be of some use :).

The Question:

What would you REALISTICALLY (remember the Old Hickory line, and what its known for) like to see in a theoretical "revamped" Old Hickory line? Are there new features that you'd want to make sure you saw, features that you would want to make sure to keep? Thinks you'd like changed?

Lets get the ideas flowing. Maybe you have a list of ideas, maybe you have drawings, or mods that you want to post as ideas? As long as it is constructive, and relevant, I think its valid for this thread.

The Example:

Keepers:

• 1095 steel. Its proven, cost effective, and performs well. No reason to change the heritage of the blade
  • Hickory/wood handles. Again, no reason to change what is perhaps the most recognizable portion of the OH lineup.
  • The funky stamped pattern. Its not really a detriment for the most part, and it makes it visually much different than most knives nowadays.

Changes:

• I like a touch more guard (low side only). Make the chord of the blade larger, and handle the same size, or maybe make the handle smaller right near the first finger, just something to give the hand a touch more protection than they have now.
  • Lanyard holes, at least on the larger models.
  • 90 degree spine. Scraping tinder/firesteels is much easier with this. Its a valuable feature for a knife, and its one I'd love to see on more blades.
  • Maybe a Higher grind?
  • A mid sized knife of some sort added to the group (BK16/Mora- ish dimensions). The 7in butcher is used a lot as a good cheap outdoors blade, but, most would say that 4-5in is a better blade length for most outdoor tasks.

Most of my changes are listed as "improvements" for them as a dedicated outdoors blade. I'm not sure it it would make sense to have a "outdoors" and "kitchen" version of the same blade. Might be something to look into though.

And remember, I am in NO WAY connected at all to OKC (in fact, I don't even own a single OKC knife). I have no pull one way or the other, so just because something is mentioned here does NOT mean it will find its way into a future product. This is just an ideas thread that OKC might find helpful if we keep things on target. That, and I figure letting a company know what we want can never hurt one way or the other :).

Lets see what we can come up with.

An 8" chef knife is essential for the kitchen and handles 95% of food prep. That along with the granny style paring knife and a bread knife to cover the remaining 5% and your done.

The problem is that what we like the most about the Old Hickory knives (the carbon steel) isn't understood by most folks looking for kitchen knives and they consider them cheap junk when they rust do to not being cared for properly. Just as they also have no idea how properly care and maintain a good cast iron skillet.

I sure would like to see a thin, flat or very high ground 8" Chef Knife added back to the lineup. (years back I remember a large -approx 10" chef knife, but I think that is a bit too large for residential kitchen use)

I like them as they are. Maybe blades with no pattern for easier cleaning. They're great for whenever I don't want to mess up my $$ cutlery, especially outdoor cooking (BBQ, grilling).
I'd hate to see Old Hickory knives morph into something else.

An 8" chef knife is essential for the kitchen and handles 95% of food prep. That along with the granny style paring knife and a bread knife to cover the remaining 5% and your done.

The problem is that what we like the most about the Old Hickory knives (the carbon steel) isn't understood by most folks looking for kitchen knives and they consider them cheap junk when they rust do to not being cared for properly. Just as they also have no idea how properly care and maintain a good cast iron skillet.

I sure would like to see a thin, flat or very high ground 8" Chef Knife added back to the lineup. (years back I remember a large -approx 10" chef knife, but I think that is a bit too large for residential kitchen use)

Its true, Old Hickory knives are in an interesting spot. One of their main uses has always been kitchen/around the homestead knives, and you're right, the fact that they're not stainless probably puts them out of the mind of many consumers. But it does seem like a dedicated chefs pattern would be nice.

And I agree. My wife and I have chefs knives (one each), paring knives, and a bread knife. They do all the work. I do actually prefer the larger 10in blade for most work, but can see how they're not as commonly found in the home kitchen.

I like them as they are. Maybe blades with no pattern for easier cleaning. They're great for whenever I don't want to mess up my $$ cutlery, especially outdoor cooking (BBQ, grilling).
I'd hate to see Old Hickory knives morph into something else.

I wasn't saying that I disliked them at all. The reason this whole idea for a thread came up, was because its been mentioned a few times around here by either OKC or Toooj that internally they've been thinking about the Old Hickory lineup. I have no idea what that means officially, but I figured this might be an interesting area to post up ideas about what they could do. For what its worth, I think its probably very unlikely that the classic models will disappear.

And I've been thinking of picking up a 10 or 14in butcher Old Hickory for the same reason you just listed. I want a good blade for when I cook larger meat (tri-tip, brisket, etc), and I don't want to risk taking out my pricier knives.

Anyway, thank you both for your input. Hopefully we get some other interesting ideas as well (or maybe we all just say "don't change anything" :/).

First off, I just want to say this right away.

If OKC or Toooj think this post is out of line, feel free to set me straight/shut down the thread, etc. I'm not trying to step on any toes here.

This is your forum, we just enjoy it too. As long as everyone is civil, you'll never see me kill a conversation. I'll sit back, read suggestions, and report things to the new product team.

(in fact, I don't even own a single OKC knife)

I'm sad now.

I think it would be really neat to have a few patterns of slipjoints that were old hickory branded. Those stamped blades and the logo in the handles would look awesome in a sodbuster or stockman. A lot of people want a thicker blade too, I wouldn't personally want the blades much thicker but having the option would be nice. Other than that I think its obvious from my previous posts that I want a kephart copy!
Another knife pattern I'd like to see is a thicker 6-10 inch blade with a drop point, and with some contoured handles; like the Condor moonshiner in a way, but not such a wide blade as the Moonshiner has. That would made for a nice heavy use outdoors knife with a very cool look.
Old Hickories are probably my favorite fixed blade knives as far as looks go, the "old timey" look and style makes them very attractive to me, and that steel cuts great. I'm sure I'll love whatever new ideas/models OKC comes up with.

I think that old hickory would do really well to have a bushcraft knife to compete directly with Mora. You can get the price, made in America, and the performance.

That would be a really winner in my book!

OKC, if you do decide to do some slip joints, please include a large (4.25 to 4.75 inch closed) equal end Sunfish. Perhaps with the standard over-size spear point main with a full size Sheepsfoot or Wharncliff secondary, instead of the over-sized penn blade. Oh, 1095 blade steel, please. Brass or steel liners and bolsters, and wood covers. I'll take four. A Rough Rider large sunfish is one of my EDC knives.

This is your forum, we just enjoy it too. As long as everyone is civil, you'll never see me kill a conversation. I'll sit back, read suggestions, and report things to the new product team.

I'm sad now.

Glad to hear it OKC :). We'll try to keep things to a dull roar around here.

And would it make you feel any better that I've purchased three RAT 1/2's for gifts for friends/family?

I think that old hickory would do really well to have a bushcraft knife to compete directly with Mora. You can get the price, made in America, and the performance.

That would be a really winner in my book!

Thats kind of what I was thinking about as well. A midsized outdoor themed one. The 7in butcher is a good blade, but that length is a bit akward for me (and it sounds like for many others), so I'd imagine a 4-5in "simple" knife like that would sell well.

And I'm loving some of these other ideas. Keep up the good work everyone :).

I'd like to see an Old Hickory Kephart. I have a 7" Old Hickory Butcher knife that I intend to turn into a 4.5"-5" Kephart. The blade thickness is just about right and I like the wood handle.

The OH line are kitchen knives first and foremost, so maybe a santoku style.
As for outdoor knives, I find them fun to mod, a blade blank sans the handles might be a good idea.

seems a factory Kephart and Nessmuk would be a big seller.
In the mean time, I need to visit a second/third hand store and pick up a Old Hickory to convert.

I like them as they are. Maybe blades with no pattern for easier cleaning...

Gotta keep the blade pattern, otherwise the Old Hickory might be confused or mistaken for a Green River.
That pattern on the blade identifys the brand. (and makes it look more "old timey" to boot :) )

I've been thinking about this idea too much lately. Just for the fun of it, I searched for a couple of random pictures and threw them together.. its far from perfect, but I think the results look pretty neat. Once I made it, I realized just how great these knives would look in real life, which is almost disappointing because now I really want one!

An Opinel-esque ring lock would be great too, as well as other slipjoint patterns, the soddie was just the easiest to edit this way.

Obviously the stamping would be a little different in size and there would be a nail nick, also that isn't the same exact font, but you get the gist. All I did was cut and paste a butcher knife blade. Please do it!!!

Edit: I've been tossing this slipjoint idea around in my head for over six months, and I've been meaning to post a thread on here asking OKC to consider it, but I never got around to it.

I've no doubt all these so-called revamps would work just fine. I just look at the six Old Hickory knives that my dad used for 50+ years (a butcher, not a meat cutter) ....knives that I have personally been using for 30+ years...meaning that these knives ...these knives right here in my knife block...have been working just fine for at least 100 years....and wonder why the design needs to be phucked with at all. ? That said...I do like the Old Hick folder a lot. LOL

I am not saying that the current knives need much change, personally, but that I think some new models would be neat.

With that being said, I will be getting the Old Hickory Nessuck soon! And I am considering doing some kydex and micarte for it... :-D

I am not saying that the current knives need much change, personally, but that I think some new models would be neat.

With that being said, I will be getting the Old Hickory Nessuck soon! And I am considering doing some kydex and micarte for it... :-D

Oh yeah....new models are always neat. Like I said, I'd love to see a folder like FordRanger put together. Is there really gonna be a production Old Hickory Nessmuck , or just the various conversions for the moment?

I would like to see a few bush models, but first off a touch thicker blade, maybe 3 to 3.5mm thickness with a full flat grind. Love the classic look and styling though for sure, maybe a recurve of sorts and a committed Kephart style with the classic choil and a bit wider blade overall. I'm always looking for a classic looking fixed blade with a bit of thickness to reshape to my liking.

I was just looking into the Old Hickory for at home kitchen purposes (sadly never knew OKC made them). The one thing that stood out was no chef's knife. Is there a reasoning or history behind that? Same goes for the dedicated serrated blade, though not as strongly IMV.

Back