Old Hickory Revamp Idea Thread

I've been thinking about this idea too much lately. Just for the fun of it, I searched for a couple of random pictures and threw them together.. its far from perfect, but I think the results look pretty neat. Once I made it, I realized just how great these knives would look in real life, which is almost disappointing because now I really want one!

An Opinel-esque ring lock would be great too, as well as other slipjoint patterns, the soddie was just the easiest to edit this way.

Obviously the stamping would be a little different in size and there would be a nail nick, also that isn't the same exact font, but you get the gist. All I did was cut and paste a butcher knife blade. Please do it!!!

Edit: I've been tossing this slipjoint idea around in my head for over six months, and I've been meaning to post a thread on here asking OKC to consider it, but I never got around to it.

Thats a really nice mock up, it looks great :).

Myself, I think that would be even more interesting as a Svord Peasant style friction folder (admittedly, I quite like friction folders, which I know not everyone likes). But I think that that blade style, an extended tang, the hickory handles, and some brass screws would be nice and cheap, as well as strong and simple. All of which are things I associate with Old Hickory.

Although, pie in the sky, I'd be fine with a slipjoint too :p.

Oh, and just adding a proper chefs knife into the lineup would be a good idea as well.

I was just looking into the Old Hickory for at home kitchen purposes (sadly never knew OKC made them). The one thing that stood out was no chef's knife. Is there a reasoning or history behind that? Same goes for the dedicated serrated blade, though not as strongly IMV.

I have noticed that as well, but I assume the reasoning is that between the "slicing" knife and the 7in butcher it is covered well enough. The slicing knife works very well for general purpose kitchen use. A serrated knife would be nice.

Edit: thanks, ocnLogan, I'm just a big fan of Old Hickory knives and I'd like to be able to use them more in my everyday life, and I am sure that if I had something like a sodbuster, stockman, or a large, sturdy lockback with those ridged blades and "Old Hickory" stamped into the handle, it wouldn't be a knife I would be caught without! I realize that an undertaking as big as creating a new line of knives is a big deal, but I personally believe that it would be very popular and worth-while. Everybody grew up seeing Old Hicks used by their elders, now they could have one in their pocket! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice idea.

Waking this thread up because this is the most recent OH thread. I saw this today:

I can't find any Old Hickory locally. :grumpy:
Not even in the thrift stores .

I just moved here, so where I came from you could not find these anywhere. I'm glad there is a store here with a steady stream of knives. I'll be picking up most of these in the coming months. For sure.

I can't find any Old Hickory locally. :grumpy:
Not even in the thrift stores .

I got a call once where someone asked if I knew where they could get Old Hickory in his area. I couldn't find anyone in his area, but I knew that a lot of companies only give us warehouse addresses or buy through distributors. My suggestion was to call the nearest mom+pop style hardware store and ask if they have them. My suggestion to you is the same, because he literally called the closest one and got what he wanted.

I bought my last few old hicks at ace hardware. Decent prices on them too, the cleaver was cheaper than I could find online.

Here is my Kephart with convex grind & rawhide sheath.
_tjHkJDB80BVp_N6RB-o9-bH13B5O0C4JkprPc0j7rLr9-XMwavjM5m82muGhuLRdGSfzCv5zf9yFYnnNs0DGxnUPU4e6nNd_W3W68dUMryx2NNxMeAnKIX0w-pjKB5DCtNAi--C1sTJhe9eCtvL2ka87Rh218Y5_2APFGsTAl24C4BwazAx6gvNnwo-k6x9rnFQqCDnn3qgP-u4TeMZyFvD9O7KusuYfE6jK22tN0vLRPeOaPOsrcq3SXbNP-mWjNF7gmGrooj9EdxDKMk36fjnUkRf9-hnPGZGGMmn0L3u34svHxolsn6S8bRAQM61z1bJ3QpokQRe505anwyIgZSxOzvYCCXzVWcrKul8vt_T3AUNbEbhdNrRJoWXBG3iWCXUk8spe0ByX7EALpotp13HfAlHBj0uyxiJAojqNCPln_5hSkvM2d0DmHlzkLBcnZs5v1n5eJhLPv_Mzqov3NJDNi1Fc8T47ebuAIKOBSyDWwubxga02vd9W0kjcUq7R-TNhfD1RVpEuMK8sqzev1YlqQh8XBjC_NnPUO8tEIg=w940-h627-no

This one has a red phenolic handle & convex grind
Fjk5SNU7gWpOmrzeiPHKkdu4gjLcFnNHDFHGNWEw8BDMRH1gJnq9KUdTlMsiakfRnBBTkKo5EPVit9W1LL0sjeGRc19SMoSyrBqwnyMX_QmSowZlQnORjsj5_2vgoWrGnSo6acECWn9JbGTh7-tYtwUMxswAX0-aoGz88lw-qKrq5Va-N8KrFirUEWbnpSI5KktgtNX7qjJ7AJf4DI3jArccUYIU62U2aYLHBZJ25JAvnm9IwD8Lpbb_9RHjQX5cY0i7GTRk9RTmMxtoZKAIF1cdcnBAteBNF4CcWFvxqmZZBzo_ELXlleZOzkOAtKJrn5CmWmGyI8CIWtP8Dv7OFZLMKCi_ZLH0WU3qIniXhSJXSovI0Q-ZL2mqB8xAYUgqHBDuuhfPvSDBbMYNoiTPiJXMwRDUrEbnxvLNKLkHnyAYcQOojkxRQt7FXzZgULnvccdwiWMjK6jAD9GUREDOIGZjNBf3cudTk9uikRqIPV6GG2WFYvcJA8-Z8CbsAsgkDDJhjXLl5ehaAa3uQyMGyA-blj2FNNXirSjSa1WmXDI=w940-h627-no

Nice work :).

I've been thinking of picking up a 7in butcher to use to practice sheath making, but so far I've been entertained enough by making sheaths for the knives I already own :p.

Also, I was looking through the old hickory line the other day, and there are a surprising number of knives in it. I tend to think of the butcher, slicer, paring knife, boning knife. But I had no idea about the hop knife, field knife, or the cleaver until recently.

Since the Old Hickory butcher knife seems to be he go to for beginner knife modders it would be neat if you could buy them as a parts kit. I was thinking you'd get the blade, pins and handle plus an instruction sheet along with a template for some different knife patters to make.

Since the Old Hickory butcher knife seems to be he go to for beginner knife modders it would be neat if you could buy them as a parts kit. I was thinking you'd get the blade, pins and handle plus an instruction sheet along with a template for some different knife patters to make.
I'm not sure, but I think some of the knife building supply houses do sell a bare blade and/or kit version of the butcher knife and a couple others.

Russell Green River Knives have been available this way for many years. I believe you can get the blades in both high carbon, and high carbon stainless now. There are blades available from many sources for those who want to assemble a knife.

The idea of Ontario offering an Old Hickory Sod Buster (folding knife as pictured above) seems like a fantastic idea (imo). An instant classic in the making 😉

I have an oh skinner on the way to mod into a little bushcraft knife myself!

I'll do a YouTube video called budget bushcraft, where I'll try to keep my cost under that of a Mora LOL

Maybe Ontario should stick to what they already make. Why do we need change. Your already making a good product so why mess with what is not broken.

Every company I know of buys these high dollar engineers and the engineer starts messing with stuff and wants to make different stuff then they already make and then what they were making that made them famous is no longer made and we have to buy stuff we do not want as we want the original.

Instead of making new kinds of stuff you go out into the plant and look for ways to save money, not only for your company but for me.

Your going to start making a bunch of product and in order to finance it you have to raise the price on my next new SP anything so now I cannot afford a new SP anything.

Go out into the factory and look for ways to cut cost so I can afford your low priced knives.

Stop messing with things that are not broke.

This place sounds like Obamas campaign, "lets change".

The stuff that made us strong was old stuff, change has made us weaker.

Old Ontario stuff is tuff, stop messing with stuff.

Just look at the folks who mod them into bushcraft blades and see what they're charging. Old Hick' would do great with a classic bushcraft line that stick with the old saw Mill steel and wood handle.
I'd like to see the classic line remain untouched but add a few mid size drop point, nessmuck, kephart, and clip point with the same steel and wood but screws instead of brass pins and some leather for sheaths. Kinda plain Jane left open for further mods by the end user or great out of the box.

Nice idea.

Waking this thread up because this is the most recent OH thread. I saw this today:

Yup, they're everywhere here in NC. Even the gas station down the road has several, and really, I'm in the middle of nowhere.

If they did go and change the line, it would be a shame, but this big pile I've been hoarding here will shoot up in value lol.

A realistic hope?
Leather Sheaths for the paring knives, especially the 3.5 inch blade, the butcher knives, and maybe the cleaver?

Back