Old John Primble Knives & Belknap Hardware History

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what was said during the Case and Primble argument. Beautiful knives here!

Hey all

I found this carving set in the bins at the thrift store for 50 cents per piece. I purchased it primarily because of the sterling accents.

The only thing visible is a mostly worn off 'Primble' and a faint shield matching this brand right before it on the knife blade. Even with my macro lens I don't think I could capture a picture of the writing, it's too faint.

I love learning the history of stuff so if anyone has a time period/details for these I would love it! Some google searches led me to this forum and it seems like the most knowledgeable place.

BlT2Vvg.jpg

Without any legible stamp, it is extremely difficult to date these kitchen tools. During the India Steel Works period (1890-1940), this type of handle was used on some of the Primble cutlery. I would guess these came from that period, but, just a guess. Love the patina and overall look of them ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:😍

Without any legible stamp, it is extremely difficult to date these kitchen tools. During the India Steel Works period (1890-1940), this type of handle was used on some of the Primble cutlery. I would guess these came from that period, but, just a guess. Love the patina and overall look of them ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:😍
Thank you so much!

Here is a photo of the only other set that I could find on the internet, it is nearly identical. Maybe this tells more detail? This is the outline of what I can see on mine.

Also, would the antler used for the handle be real or fake? I don't know how to tell.

hCuN4Mk.jpg

I can see the blade stamp says:
John Primble
Goods of Honor
Trade Mark

The blade stamps are not like a tang stamp on a folding knife and they used this blade stamp frequently. All that I can see points toward the India Steel Works era and the blackened stag is likely real.

I don't think you can come any closer to knowing the time period for sure. As I said, it is a guesstimate, based on my following of the brand. It could be from the 1940-1968 period, but, I doubt that.

😊

Missed this one Rob, what a beautiful knife, I would think Schrade made but the bone is throwing me off.
Pretty sure it was made by Schrade for Belknap hardware. Thanks Augie ! 😊 ...................... but it sure ain't no Battle Axe Barlow, that one being off the charts.😊

Last edited:
I remember John Primble knives being sold by our local Western Auto hardware store in the early 60's. As a kid I bought a little pony jack and Texas Toothpick/Fish Knife out of the display. I promptly broke the small blade on the pony but the fish knife cleaned a lot of bluegill through my teens. Not sure what ever happened to it.

Pretty sure it was made by Schrade for Belknap hardware. Thanks Augie ! 😊 ...................... but it sure ain't no Battle Axe Barlow, that one being off the charts.😊
Rob, beautiful Primble pocketknife! I agree with you, it has to be a Schrade. Look at this Schrade-Walden 294 in my collection - (mine either didn't get the dark color handles yours has or lost it over time) but it appears only lightly used - blades, shield, and peach-seed jigging all match your knife. OH
Schrade-Walden_294.jpg

I can see the blade stamp says:
John Primble
Goods of Honor
Trade Mark

The blade stamps are not like a tang stamp on a folding knife and they used this blade stamp frequently. All that I can see points toward the India Steel Works era and the blackened stag is likely real.

I don't think you can come any closer to knowing the time period for sure. As I said, it is a guesstimate, based on my following of the brand. It could be from the 1940-1968 period, but, I doubt that.

😊

Following up on this, I finally got time to clean it off. I found this stamped on the stand for the carving fork. Any details? All I can recognize is 1886.

OufpxLD.jpg

My first stumble into the Primble rabbit hole. I hope someone could give me some direction as to age,etc. I have searched but realize the difficulty of identification.View attachment 2068833View attachment 2068834

1940 to 1968 was when that tang stamp was used Mr. R. 😊 :thumbsup: 😍
The John Primble India Steelworks tang stamp was used from 1890 to 1940.
The Louisville and Maysville tang stamps were made after Belknap Hardware closed and others bought the name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back