old khukuri with green stuff...

I recently bought this old khukuri and know little about it.
There is green stuff in the rings in the handle. Is this supposed to be there, or is this just gunky buildup from over the years?
Thank you,
Doug
knife

Thank you fro the welcome.
Sorry about the dark picture.
Can you tell me, then if it was common for the rings to be filled with coloration? It's kind of waxy, and half has fallen out already.

Maybe the previous owner used it to make sushi--sure looks like Wasabi in them thar rings:D;)

Sorry, I have no idea, but welcome to the Cantina:D

Can you tell me, then if it was common for the rings to be filled with coloration? It's kind of waxy, and half has fallen out already.>>

You'd better listen to the experts here, but from the sound of this, I'd encourage the other half to fall out.

munk

Hi Bootfasa, welcome to the cantina.Look's like "gunk" read the FAQ ,should have info on cleaning it up.Murphys Oil Soap[the full strength kind with and old soft toothbrush]should clean up, then put lanolin[VO5 hair dressing ect.]on the horn handle.You'll learn a lot here I did. :D

Bootfasa,

It's probably grime from the last millenium. Try whiping it down gently with some light oil (something like baby oil).

n2s

Bootfasa,

Almost forgot, welcome to the forums. Don't forget to post a picture of the khukuri when you are done sprucing her up.

n2s

Welcome!
Could you post a pic of the whole thing? That might let some of the more knowledgeable people around here (not me) figure out what it is/where it's been. Might explain the green gunk, too.

Well, if there are cupper/brass washers inside, fat and sweat could have caused them to oxidize. I'm not a "khukuri master", so I really don't know the bulidup of the handle. But, oxidized brass will have this "green gunk" on it.

Here is a picture of the set as requested. Once again, I apologise for the darkness.
Not visible in the picture, but it appears that there once was a brass cap on the end of the sheath as commonly seen. Any suggestions for aquiring or making a new one?
Thanks again,
Doug
knifeset

Get a piece of thin sheet brass, cut to rough dimensions, form, solder, & glue to the scabbard putting jointed side to back.

Very simple. Just remember the saying that: " Anything worth doing is simple. Anything simple is difficult."

Just want to throw another possibility on what the green stuff could be, though the suggestion of brass tarnish is probably more correct, there is the possibility that it could be mold. Really have to get a better look to be sure, but with all organic materials the possibility is always there. A good fungisidal soap will kill the mold, and clean the handle. Mild dish soap with real hot water seems to work ok too. Never read the label on the Murphy's bottle so I dont know if itll kill fungus, but if it does then hey hit all the possibilities with one stone.

It could also be a grade of polishing compound. One of the grades that I use to polish blades/handles is almost exactly that color. Just my $.02!

Rob

Bootfasa, you outbid me on that one!
I think what you have there is a decent service-type khukuri. Probably made by Khukuri House.
Not near HI quality, but it should work OK.
I think that yes, that green stuff is old polishing compound. Try a wooden toothpick in the grooves to remove it.

Oh, and welcome to the HI forum. Only the finest khuks and finest gentlemen....
:)

--Mike L.

This may be a better look. It does look like polishing compound.

Attachments

• green rings.jpg
    green rings.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 107
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the welcome, and sorry about outbidding you. This is the first khukuri I've ever owned. I saw it and something just called to me. I just got this one and suddenly I want another.
I used a toothpick and then a toothbrush and soap and most of the green is now gone.
Do you guys know if there's anything I can do to make the blade fit better in the sheath, short of taking the whole thing apart? I have this problem with taking things apart, but not being able to put them back together.
-Doug

Forget the scabard tip. I just sticks you when you're trying to climb thru a fence.

Sometimes you can get a better fit tighter or looser by soaking the scabbard in water for a half hour. Put a wedge in and let it dry to loosesn. Wrap it very tightly with rope or belt to shrink it.

Ahhh... Much better.
Now that we can see the handle better, what do you all think the handle is made of. Wood? if so, what kind?
-Doug

Back