Old Knife Restoration Help

. . . To remove rust once you get the blades open, use oil and a nickel. Five-cent piece, know what I mean? :D Nickel is softer than steel and won't scar the high carbon blades, works like a charm. . . .
Nickle is softer than steel, as is the other component of a U.S. "Nickel," copper (75%). I'll have to try it - carefully.

I did my own old Boy Scout knife restoration not too long ago. It looked similar to Serrinin's.

I used some penetrating oil (found at any auto parts store, made for loosening stuck bolts) to free the blades up. I cleaned out the pits in the blades with 0000 steel wool. All I did was clear out the corrosion scale. I wasn't looking for polished blades. Pickle the blades with a dip in tomato juice ... clean with soap solution ... dry thoroughly ... sharpen and strop ... then preserve with gun oil ... all done.

Of course, this was my own old Boy Scout knife. I won't tell how long ago that was.

Edit: PS: Those old Boy Scout knives do take a nice edge ... and hold it, too.

Part of the value of a patina, which forms naturally on high carbon steel -- all they used in the old days -- is that it is a kind of oxidation that inhibits destructive red rust.

How small is the black folder (handle length in inches)? For dressing up or office work, even today, many of us carry smaller folders, just enough for trimming threads or slicing open envelopes.

The small one is 2.5 inches in lenght (handle) and only about 1/4 of an inch wide. And guess what! It opened today! Haven't had a chance to take a picture yet, but I'll do that tomorrow. The blades are about 1 inch. Unfortunately one of them is a little loose when it opens, but I'll worry about that later. I've recoated it with oil for the night and will try and use some of the methods listed above to start removing the rust tomorrow.

Unfortunately one of them is a little loose when it opens, but I'll worry about that later.

Once you've gotten it cleaned up, you can tighten the blade. See the pins show through the bolster? Place the knife on its side on a hard surface. wrap it in soft cloth so you don't scar it. Take a small hammer and tap where the pin is lightly. A few light taps should snug up the bolster against the blade. You don't want to overdo it. You may want to check after each tap or two.

A VERY small hammer! Back the pin on a solid steel surface.

Back