"Old Knives"

What a wee beauty Charlie, I have never seen one like that before!
Even the Bail has great detail! Is the other side the exact same or slightly different continuing the theme?

NYK pearl from the Lamb collection. It's difficult to capture the fire in pearl, this one really pops.
gQtPMxt.jpg
3War1Yf.jpg

clXSrbI.jpg

Neat old Eraser R8shell. Always been a fan of the early Sheffield symbols and Stampings!
Thanks! I bought it, thinking it might be fun to use an old ink eraser on various craft projects, but I just looked up the Jonathan Crookes stamp, and the book has it dated c1780-1827.
I think I'd better look around for one that is half as old, and twice as worn, if I want one to sharpen and play with. ;)

It certainly qualifies as an old knife r8shell :D!!
Looks like ivory also plus the cool stamping!:cool::cool:

Dave
Thanks! It almost looks like ivory, but I'm pretty sure it's very smooth bone. Aside from a crack on one side of the handle, it's in fine shape.
6T2nY7H.jpg

Top notch craftsmanship on NYK knives, I'm privileged to be it's curator for a bit, thanks Duncan :thumbsup:
Amazing quality there my friend - those knives are impeccably put together - great score :) :thumbsup:

True and I suspect some of these gents knives were sold in jewelry stores back in those days, I can't picture farmer John buying one in the nearest country store;)
It's a fine line between knives and jewelry, sometimes. ;)
Those are fine gems, Charlie and rockman0.

Very nice, bone covers ?
I was going to post this ink eraser knife in the "Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age thread, but it's possible that it predates that era. :confused::eek:

Marked Jonathan Crookes, with the heart and pistol symbols.
ZTNA4VT.jpg

tUbklOG.jpg

Charlie, beautiful 10K gold :eek: waynorth waynorth :thumbsup:

Electric is certainly on my A list to aquire;) nothing 2nd rate about Electric Cutlery :thumbsup: veitsi_poika veitsi_poika tongueriver tongueriver

Nice XX usa Steve!
Case XX 6202 1/2 Used but not abused, great W&T :)

qN9tM6B.jpg

i6uerzm.jpg

Thanks! I bought it, thinking it might be fun to use an old ink eraser on various craft projects, but I just looked up the Jonathan Crookes stamp, and the book has it dated c1780-1827.
I think I'd better look around for one that is half as old, and twice as worn, if I want one to sharpen and play with. ;)

Thanks! It almost looks like ivory, but I'm pretty sure it's very smooth bone. Aside from a crack on one side of the handle, it's in fine shape.
6T2nY7H.jpg
Do I assume correctly this predates any tie up with Brookes and Crookes? Other than it being probably one of the coolest trademarks about do you happen to know what meaning/significance it related if any?
Another I dig is the lamp post.

Do I assume correctly this predates any tie up with Brookes and Crookes? Other than it being probably one of the coolest trademarks about do you happen to know what meaning/significance it related if any?
I don't think the two Crookes were related.

Jonathan Crookes
Brookes & Crookes Ltd

I'm afraid I don't know the origin and significance of that hallmark, but it is pretty cool.
Perhaps our resident Sheffield historian @Jack Black knows?

Back