"Old Knives"

Federal Knife Company, Syracuse. ( not Federal Knife Co)
Camillus owned Brand Name and Made by Camillus, a very nice EO Jack. Does not seem to have seen any work, and is uncleaned by the looks of things.
QPg3IhZ.jpg

IGO5yao.jpg

Speaking Of Camillus, My North Dakota Post Master posted some Knives my way, Here is a Unused example I picked up, a Sears Sta-Sharp Five Bladed Cattle Knife, it's the Darker Bone example, the other 9537 example is the wonderful Coloured Bone Handled made by Camillus, both for Sears.
"High Carbon Steel" Tang Stamped, exact build in every way, Both sporting Sears Brand Names of Craftsman and Sta-Sharp. Note the Craftsman Brand name was open to a few different Manufacturers Camillus, Schrade and Ulster - but with the Craftsman Etch along with the Sta-Sharp secondary Etch - denotes Camillus- as well as of course the High Carbon Steel Tang Stamp being solely used by Camillus.

I can only think that a slightly different time frame would explain the different etches?
Beautifully Built Knives that feature Camillus's wonderful Spiral Punch, a beaut of a Stubby Clip-Point, and I realy like those Camiluss Spey Blades!
MdMk2Gx.jpg

wCCISX3.jpg

COQwPzg.jpg

Last edited:
Albert Baers wee creation here for Sears, Ulster made little wonder, note the Chrome Vanadium secondary etch that accompanies the main Craftsman Etch, the Craftsman etch as well as Forged USA with the Chroma Vanadium suggests Ulster as does the Shape of the Sheepsfoot.
8sT6aJ2.jpg

On the same subject as Albert Baer and his relationship with Sears, T Dunlap had his name carried over into the Manufacturing for Sears, here is a Dunlap I pocked up a while ago, these are hard to find in good condition- so I was pleased with this one, every other one I could see was well used beyond recognition, I guess the more affordable "2nd Tier" line that used Composite Handle may have contributed, but the build of these Knives seems to be strong.
I wanted one of these as they are a integral part of the History Of Camillus and Sears, Features include a Long Pull Main, nice Sabre Grind on the Main, Silver Nickle Bolsters and Cap.

Q1HVUeV.jpg

SI8qbCU.jpg

Z20YhPz.jpg

Duncan, love the dark bone on the bottom Sta-Sharp:thumbsup: That's a fine group of knives your personal post master sent you!

Federal Knife Company, Syracuse. ( not Federal Knife Co)
Camillus owned Brand Name and Made by Camillus, a very nice EO Jack. Does not seem to have seen any work, and is uncleaned by the looks of things.
QPg3IhZ.jpg

QPg3IhZ.jpg

IGO5yao.jpg

Speaking Of Camillus, My North Dakota Post Master posted some Knives my way, Here is a Unused example I picked up, a Sears Sta-Sharp Five Bladed Cattle Knife, it's the Darker Bone example, the other 9537 example is the wonderful Coloured Bone Handled made by Camillus, both for Sears.
"High Carbon Steel" Tang Stamped, exact build in every way, Both sporting Sears Brand Names of Craftsman and Sta-Sharp. Note the Craftsman Brand name was open to a few different Manufacturers Camillus, Schrade and Ulster - but with the Craftsman Etch along with the Sta-Sharp secondary Etch - denotes Camillus- as well as of course the High Carbon Steel Tang Stamp being solely used by Camillus.

I can only think that a slightly different time frame would explain the different etches?
Beautifully Built Knives that feature Camillus's wonderful Spiral Punch, a beaut of a Stubby Clip-Point, and I realy like those Camiluss Spey Blades!
MdMk2Gx.jpg

wCCISX3.jpg

COQwPzg.jpg

EDITED , predictive texting taking over and placing weird words which throw the sentences right out :( :oops:

Steve, Rob, Cal, Paul and Mike!
Thank you my friends:) :thumbsup:, I enjoy SO much looking at each of your Knives- Believe me!!!

Mike, I have lots more to learn about the Sears Group as there is so much reading about who did the manufacturing for Sears, who made all this possible is like diving into a Rabbit Warren, but its extremely fascinating. Mr Dunlap was in charge of the ordering for Sears, reading only parts of writings about the relationship that Albert Baer had with Dunlap and just how great this relationship was - is what has made some amazing knives be here for us to enjoy.

The Quality of these Big 5 Blader's is right up there Mike when in the hand, and to be honest I have fallen big time for a lot of these Knives, the Quality is right up there, one day soon I hope to be sitting at the same table as you having a nice cool Beer and passing back and forth such Knives- That would be a good day!

The higher quality tiered Knives were made by a few different Manufacturers as you will know tons more than me, Bernard states that the Dunlap's were also tiered down from the more Top ranked Knives such as their Craftsman, Sta- Sharps etc, although post war the Craftsman name did seem to be spread out more so on the more economical Knives. Sears had their marketing down pat and cornered every range of affordability for their Customer Base, so its neat seeing the differences in these Knives where this was put into practice.

So Dunlap's Name became a thing on the Knives as did Henrys on the Schrade Line Uncle Henry, for 2nd tiered Knife - I was extremely pleased to get this one as it is relatively good shape, others I have seen have been used to almost ruin!

Rob, The Bone on the Knives as you say is quite spectacular, you have quite a few variances of the Bone Colouring with these Knives, I LOVE the Orange type of Colouring in the Bone- both the Camillus and Ulster Knives sport this and when in the hand- it really is WOW factor at times!

Here is a real early Sears wonder - This one has the S-R Tang Stamp ( Sears Roebuck), a grand old example so well used and loved- YET.... still SUCH a knife!

U99T6Lf.jpg

Thank you for your patience guys as I ramble on :oops: :confused:

edit- just found this Photo, notice the Cutlers sole Brand name above the SR!
5yUuiIp.jpg

Last edited:
Here were a couple of Knives I have been looking forward to getting, My Post Master sent over a box of shiny stuff ( many were gifts of bling to me as well- which I will post elsewhere soon ) and I want to thank Paul me matey from ND, he is such a Legend and really looks after me, in fact I am sure both Paul and Nanc are working out a square meter rate on their Mortgage - as my knives seem to take up a little corner of their House, Nanc - who is such a neat Lady puts up with Duncan- even when he isnt there!:oops:

Back to the Knives!
Here is a very nice Abercrombie & Fitch Co Knife, Very Nice Quality, Very Nice Knife imo.
The Lockback system is a great one- had me fooled for a sec at one moment - but I was lucky to be able to purchase this off our Friend in Canada Mr Roland Procter, as we Know Roland has owned quite some nice Knives in his time.

This is a fairly large Folder at just under 6 inches long closed.

i7lVdRt.jpg

4prEsUZ.jpg

gtJtD56.jpg

Made by the Quality Cutler Ed Wusthoff ( Germany ), a Cutler with quite a History, and every Knife I have seen or referenced is a Quality one.

hj7JW3x.jpg

- Charlie my Friend, its about time we were at the same Table again too!- Thank you for your kind comments that are always well received!

Here is another larger German Folder ( I know - I know... I am meant to be slip-streaming my collection - but still have a wee weakness for some....ok a lot of nice German Cutlery )

Just love this Lockback so much, Deeply etch Main which always is - for me - a Bonus....

Yu9iQSA.jpg

s96RP28.jpg

wuzmqka.jpg

NVzg1Qp.jpg

What is the handle made of ?

The handle is wood, dark and heavy. I'm not sure what they would have locally other than oak, so maybe bog oak? I need to clean it a bit, but it's been a busy week, so that will have to wait.

The scabbard is wood, but much lighter in color, and covered with very fine grained leather.

Wow!
In full agreement with you Charlie - absolutely lovely Jacks!

I just love the Bolster Work on the Stag Handled one, and the Wooden Handled version has such nice shape! Love the Matchstrike Pull on that one too!
All this with the both of them having fantastic Swage Work!

This one arrived yesterday. I was anxiously awaiting it's arrival and it revealed a couple of surprises. I'll start with the selller's pictures.

The fairly full blade and swedge demanded my attention.
l1eAryF.jpg

The size raised my attention level another notch.
Gz55Vo5.jpg

His description said the knife was marked but he was unable to recognize the markings but that he believed it to be a very old knife.

This picture demanded my cash so I paid the man and the impatient waiting began. Thankfully it was the clearest picture he posted.
SJdbBhy.jpg

It was filthy when I got it. Gunked up inside and out. I took a toothpick and pushed the crud out of the long pull, it was solidified and came out in 2 pieces.
BUL8bkV.jpg

Surprise! The main blade is on two springs.
fEfDvoW.jpg

Before I cleaned it up a little.
Y83GdCW.jpg

After.
nm2Yzdf.jpg

Surprise #2. R Johnson decided to engrave his name at the top of the blade.
4Pa7PR4.jpg

MYzNnJ6.jpg

My first Northfield, hopefully not my last.
I was hoping the pen blade would clean up to show a full Northfield mark but it's not marked or worn off from pitting.
I haven't seen many pictures of Northfields but I'm curious, does the stove pipe kick indicate it's an early knife ? 1880's maybe ? I know cutlers trained in Sheffield came over and some worked at Northfield, I see stove pipe kicks on Sheffield knives but in my limited experience along with a poor memory I don't recall seeing it on early American knives. If you have any examples please show em.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back