"Old Knives"

I am way impressed, CelluLloyd!! You've been busy since the last time you posted some of your beauties!!

Those two HJs, Utica and Robeson, are great pieces, Duncan!!
Fine additions to your collection.
I have more info coming on the "Valley Forge" comment I made!

Camillus knives just keep popping up in front of me! Here is a nice little 3 1/4" EO, with some numbers inked on the back of the main blade.

Camillus small EO 1.jpg Camillus small EO 3.jpg Camillus small EO 2.jpg

I am way impressed, CelluLloyd!! You've been busy since the last time you posted some of your beauties!!

Those two HJs, Utica and Robeson, are great pieces, Duncan!!
Fine additions to your collection.
I have more info coming on the "Valley Forge" comment I made!

Camillus knives just keep popping up in front of me! Here is a nice little 3 1/4" EO, with some numbers inked on the back of the main blade.

View attachment 713965 View attachment 713967 View attachment 713968
Wow- You guys are showing some splendid Camillus Knives, Charlie- That is Gorgeous! Love the Swedge going on- that looks totally unused! Very very nice Sir!

Exactly.
I'm going to see if epoxy putty will take coloring before I try to form it up for liquid epoxy.
Let me know how it goes. I hope to try matching the color of the horn on this old knife with some kind of powdered pigment/epoxy mix.

Both forms will take it Jer :thumbsup:

ADEE does quite a few repairs with epoxy, sometimes you can barely see the join.
Good to know. I've done one painted epoxy putty handle, and i've got one that's epoxy grey that I ought to file down and jig or something. I have a tendency to pile it on too thick.

Nice Old Wadsworth, I am a fan of Wadsworth- more often than not from them you will find a Stunning Knife- wonderfully Built with again more often than not quite Stunning Workmanship, this knife I think is certainly in this category....

Beautiful bolster Work- the Big Clip Point Locks open and the Pen blade must be pressed to be able to release the main from the open position.
I absolutely love the older Stamping on both blades Tangs XLNT

This is one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen! Thanks for posting it!

Jack My friend, thats a VERY nice Camillus you have there:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Duncan, I feel guilty about not contributing more to this thread recently
clear.png
clear.png
:thumbsup:

Good to know. I've done one painted epoxy putty handle, and i've got one that's epoxy grey that I ought to file down and jig or something. I have a tendency to pile it on too thick.

I think he colours the epoxy with crushed pastel, and where appropriate 'jigs' it before it sets. He should do a thread really :thumbsup:

Let me know how it goes. I hope to try matching the color of the horn on this old knife with some kind of powdered pigment/epoxy mix.
I think he colours the epoxy with crushed pastel, and where appropriate 'jigs' it before it sets. He should do a thread really :thumbsup:
Powder, eh? I was thinking of kneading in some wood stain and fearing the solvent would interfere with the glue. I think I have some acrylic art paints that might work. Anyway, I'll do some experimenting before I try it on the knife and let you know.

Powder, eh? I was thinking of kneading in some wood stain and fearing the solvent would interfere with the glue. I think I have some acrylic art paints that might work. Anyway, I'll do some experimenting before I try it on the knife and let you know.

I think he just crushes up an appropriate coloured pastel. Here's a Joseph Rodgers Stockman he patched for me a while back, but I have seen knives he's done where you really struggle to see the 'mend' :thumbsup:

I think he just crushes up an appropriate coloured pastel. Here's a Joseph Rodgers Stockman he patched for me a while back, but I have seen knives he's done where you really struggle to see the 'mend' :thumbsup:

Nice, and pretty similar to what I'm about to try.

Wow - this thread really moves fast and lots of beauties posted above :thumbsup::thumbsup: - just can't keep up with all at this pace !! So to keep this moving I would like to share one old knife and cutlery stamp I am not sure has ever been posted in this thread according to my search. I hope you don't mind the background to give it some intro and historical perspective:

Of the many cutleries that existed in the late 1800s there appears to be a mystery surrounding the exact location and anything about the BB Knife Co /BeaverBrook/Mass – and indeed to find a knife from this cutlery is rare. I have looked through all my resources and Phil P’s New England Cutlery book in particular where he admitted he could not find anything and his leads all ended up not revealing anything of note. He thought it may have been a subdivision of Danvers MA but the town hall records indicated there was not a cutlery located there. He had some wild speculation that Joseph Kennedy had a friend Lord Beaverbrook and maybe that was the key – but he admits that is just a wild guess with no factual background in terms of a cutlery. I have also read and heard perhaps it was a town that was flooded out as part of the Swift Valley due to the Quabbin Reservoir construction in 1930 but again no factual records indicate that Beaverbrook was one of the towns. Now there is a Beaver Brook Reservation in MA that has a “Beaver Brook” running through it (but no town named Beaverbrook) – it is an area west of Boston and considered a suburb of Boston – it is slightly northeast of Waltham – actually between Belmont and Waltham. Interestingly the Beaver Brook had a Fulling Mill at one time but again no mention of a cutlery – even though it would appear that Beaver Brook could have indeed been a waterway that could support the power for a cutlery and runs quite a distance in the area. The Beaver Brook not only has waterfalls but holding ponds as well – and we know that holding ponds are needed for continued power when water levels are low. As an aside there are multiple Beaver Brooks in MA – but the one noted above appears to be the largest. Nonetheless who and where the company was remains a mystery.

In addition I had read that BB Knife Co supplied knives to Pacific Hardware and Steel Co in San Francisco CA according to Goins but I find no information outside that statement to support it. In fact Levines and Price/Zalesky note ca 1880 for BB Knife Co in a location of Beaverbrook MA but Goins lists Beaverbrook Knife Co as ca. 1902 (notably however Pacific Hardware and Steel Co was noted as 1901-1918 with knives made by Stiletto Cutlery Co of Napanoch). So not alot of agreement in the references. I have heard through word of mouth but from a very knowledgable collector that BB Knife Co may have had a connection to Turner’s Falls MA and there may be documentation… I will follow-up on that as well in the future ;-))

I have not seen many knives made by BB Knife Co other than the one I am sharing below – only BB knives I have seen in the past are a large 2 blade jack and a fixed blade Hunter with stag handles.

This knife is a MOP Wharncliffe at a size of 2 & ¾” closed. Interesting Wharncliffe pattern that has a pivot bolster but is a barehead … I have not seen many Wharncliffes like this as well. Unfortunately the master blade was tipped but other than that in pretty good condition… I wasn't passing on this knife despite the tipped blade and for good reason based on rarity... Long pulls on both the master and pen blades as well ...

If anyone has another BB Knife to share please do so as I would be most interested. Thanks for looking!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Whew, I had to go back a few pages, to review a bunch of beauties I had missed and catch myself up with this thread. We've had a flood of great knives over the last while - thanks for the contributions everyone!! Pleasant yet enlightening way to spend a lazy day of rest!!

Wow - this thread really moves fast and lots of beauties posted above :thumbsup::thumbsup: - just can't keep up with all at this pace !! So to keep this moving I would like to share one old knife and cutlery stamp I am not sure has ever been posted in this thread according to my search. I hope you don't mind the background to give it some intro and historical perspective:

Of the many cutleries that existed in the late 1800s there appears to be a mystery surrounding the exact location and anything about the BB Knife Co /BeaverBrook/Mass – and indeed to find a knife from this cutlery is rare. I have looked through all my resources and Phil P’s New England Cutlery book in particular where he admitted he could not find anything and his leads all ended up not revealing anything of note. He thought it may have been a subdivision of Danvers MA but the town hall records indicated there was not a cutlery located there. He had some wild speculation that Joseph Kennedy had a friend Lord Beaverbrook and maybe that was the key – but he admits that is just a wild guess with no factual background in terms of a cutlery. I have also read and heard perhaps it was a town that was flooded out as part of the Swift Valley due to the Quabbin Reservoir construction in 1930 but again no factual records indicate that Beaverbrook was one of the towns. Now there is a Beaver Brook Reservation in MA that has a “Beaver Brook” running through it (but no town named Beaverbrook) – it is an area west of Boston and considered a suburb of Boston – it is slightly northeast of Waltham – actually between Belmont and Waltham. Interestingly the Beaver Brook had a Fulling Mill at one time but again no mention of a cutlery – even though it would appear that Beaver Brook could have indeed been a waterway that could support the power for a cutlery and runs quite a distance in the area. The Beaver Brook not only has waterfalls but holding ponds as well – and we know that holding ponds are needed for continued power when water levels are low. As an aside there are multiple Beaver Brooks in MA – but the one noted above appears to be the largest. Nonetheless who and where the company was remains a mystery.

In addition I had read that BB Knife Co supplied knives to Pacific Hardware and Steel Co in San Francisco CA according to Goins but I find no information outside that statement to support it. In fact Levines and Price/Zalesky note ca 1880 for BB Knife Co in a location of Beaverbrook MA but Goins lists Beaverbrook Knife Co as ca. 1902 (notably however Pacific Hardware and Steel Co was noted as 1901-1918 with knives made by Stiletto Cutlery Co of Napanoch). So not alot of agreement in the references. I have heard through word of mouth but from a very knowledgable collector that BB Knife Co may have had a connection to Turner’s Falls MA and there may be documentation… I will follow-up on that as well in the future ;-))

I have not seen many knives made by BB Knife Co other than the one I am sharing below – only BB knives I have seen in the past are a large 2 blade jack and a fixed blade Hunter with stag handles.

This knife is a MOP Wharncliffe at a size of 2 & ¾” closed. Interesting Wharncliffe pattern that has a pivot bolster but is a barehead … I have not seen many Wharncliffes like this as well. Unfortunately the master blade was tipped but other than that in pretty good condition… I wasn't passing on this knife despite the tipped blade and for good reason based on rarity... Long pulls on both the master and pen blades as well ...

If anyone has another BB Knife to share please do so as I would be most interested. Thanks for looking!!

Cheers!
I never even heard of them. Beautiful knife.

Nice tribute pic, Barry!
I hope all my American sisters and brothers have a great celebration of Freedom and Thankfulness!

More great knives with a couple of stunning examples from Waynorth and LongBlade.
I have never seen or heard of the "BB Knife Company" before and what an intriguing mystery it sounds like.
It often seems that the knife hobby is more fun because of what we don't yet know. :)

Back