"Old Knives"

Just signed on and am enjoying zipping around at all the great information. Posted this in the "ID" thread to learn about it - got it off an online auction and it's pretty cool. Fits my hand great, everything is tight (save for some handle shrinkage) - thought it would make an occasional "gentleman's carry" knife.

20180912_143501-01.jpg

20180912_143518-01.jpg

Just signed on and am enjoying zipping around at all the great information. Posted this in the "ID" thread to learn about it - got it off an online auction and it's pretty cool. Fits my hand great, everything is tight (save for some handle shrinkage) - thought it would make an occasional "gentleman's carry" knife.

20180912_143501-01.jpg

20180912_143518-01.jpg
Welcome :) Cool knife :thumbsup:

Kevin, beautiful W Bingham & Co. and Boker Valley Forge Jacks! I have a banana made by W Bingham & Co I will try to post some photos of if I remembero_O Thanks also for bringing this thread back to life!

Here is a Shapleigh HDW DE equal end opposite end Jack that I have been meaning to post some photos of but the heat here has lately made me lazy and forgetful:eek:. B. Levine calls this a Texas Jack or Moose pg. 190 4th edition. Total closed length is 4.25 inches and has pretty full blades with minor loss. What looks like handle chip below mark side middle pin is just lack of focus and the light. It is a heavy and pretty impressive folder in hand. On the primary spear blade back tang is the pattern no. B639. In the Schrade catalog supplement of 1930 is a folder that looks just like it identified as pattern no. R7973. This one has been cleaned and polished at some point in the past (not by me) but nonetheless is a nice vintage folder pattern you don’t see often.
793E871B-BB48-436F-8B29-21536BCE4243.jpeg 94DFD1D0-8788-4E17-8499-EB47ED499D1E.jpeg 169EE0E8-C7D9-40C7-A282-001B7F581DEC.jpeg 0B43EC9C-3D2E-4E4B-99AD-D2520308F1EF.jpeg BD96D27F-7E04-44D0-A3AB-7F9B910C92D3.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my first W Bingham & Co (Cleveland, OH) and I gotta say, it's a beauty ;) Haven't done much research on W Bingham but I know Goins has them as being in business c.1841-1948 so obviously had some nice products. Sure feels like it could be a Schrade Cut Co SFO.

View attachment 984223 View attachment 984224 View attachment 984225 View attachment 984226
Nice Knife Kevin Dandy in fact.
Now me in a middle of a noisy workshop sneaking a look into Old Knives - that Badge and Bone etc could be a Camillus built Knife?
Wish I was closer to more reference :oops:

Nice old Valley Forge matey.

Luger - whew!!! Beautiful!

Nice Knife Kevin Dandy in fact.
Now me in a middle of a noisy workshop sneaking a look into Old Knives - that Badge and Bone etc could be a Camillus built Knife?
Wish I was closer to more reference :oops:

Nice old Valley Forge matey.

Luger - whew!!! Beautiful!
Yeah the bone on the Bingham does not look common to Schrade bone, pretty unique loooking. When you get a chance to check it out let us know what you find :):thumbsup:

Kevin, beautiful W Bingham & Co. and Boker Valley Forge Jacks! I have a banana made by W Bingham & Co I will try to post some photos of if I remembero_O Thanks also for bringing this thread back to life!

Here is a Shapleigh HDW DE equal end opposite end Jack that I have been meaning to post some photos of but the heat here has lately made me lazy and forgetful:eek:. B. Levine calls this a Texas Jack or Moose pg. 190. Total closed length is 4.25 inches and has pretty full blades with minor loss. What looks like handle chip below mark side middle pin is just lack of focus and the light. It is a heavy and pretty impressive folder in hand. On the primary spear blade back tang is the pattern no. B639. In the Schrade catalog supplement of 1930 is a folder that looks just like it identified as pattern no. R7973. This one has been cleaned and polished at some point in the past (not by me) but nonetheless is a nice vintage folder pattern you don’t see often.
View attachment 984302 View attachment 984301 View attachment 984300 View attachment 984299 View attachment 984298
Nice Lloyd! That pattern is awesome, I think Chuck Norris uses one of those to whittle baseball bats :D:thumbsup:

Yeah the bone on the Bingham does not look common to Schrade bone, pretty unique loooking. When you get a chance to check it out let us know what you find :):thumbsup:
Hi Kevin,
Ok, I got home and wanted to have a look, my friend- as per usual you are right, I do remember Camillus have a very similar shield - and I looked at one of my earlier Camillus Knives - the Shield is a Bowtie but is not as elongated - rounder in the Centre and not as pointy at the ends of the Bowtie- see below.

That Bone when you have a good close look!!! Wow! that's just plain beautiful work right there!

4CApDIT.jpg

So I had a look in my Schrade Catalog E, and thar she blows Skipper.... on page 11 ( pattern 2063 ) - see the scan below....., great old Knife!
twuhnYa.jpg

Hi Kevin,
Ok, I got home and wanted to have a look, my friend- as per usual you are right, I do remember Camillus have a very similar shield - and I looked at one of my earlier Camillus Knives - the Shield is a Bowtie but is not as elongated - rounder in the Centre and not as pointy at the ends of the Bowtie- see below.

That Bone when you have a good close look!!! Wow! that's just plain beautiful work right there!

4CApDIT.jpg

So I had a look in my Schrade Catalog E, and thar she blows Skipper.... on page 11 ( pattern 2063 ) - see the scan below....., great old Knife!
twuhnYa.jpg
Thanks for checking Duncan, much appreciated :):thumbsup: I did check the shield against the Schrade Cut Co molasses E/O I posted the other day and they were pretty exact... I know we determined it's not 100% fool-proof method but it seemed most of the "big" manufacturer's shields were all unique or different from the others. I think it was last January or February we were trying to determine the SFO for a Maher & Grosh knife someone had posted and it turned out to match a Miller Bros shield if I remember right.

Yup, found the original post from @LongBlade

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-718#post-17943044

And I got my first Valley Forge knife from the same person... Goins has VF as being c.1915 to 1950 for the VF inside a circle stamp.

View attachment 984243 View attachment 984244 View attachment 984245 View attachment 984246

My only Valley Forge is on the right of the Cattaraugus in this hurriedly posted photo; I'm glad to see another.

J0grCIj.jpg

- Stuart
I have a soft spot for Valley Forges, and those are a couple nice ones. :):thumbsup: I have one with the VF circle stamp, but it's on the obverse side. I'll try to take a few pictures this weekend.

I have a soft spot for Valley Forges, and those are a couple nice ones. :):thumbsup: I have one with the VF circle stamp, but it's on the obverse side. I'll try to take a few pictures this weekend.
Funny you mention that r8shell because Goins notes the VF in a circle as being "on the reverse side of the tang"... but I see mine and Stuart's both have one on the mark side. The only mark my jack has is that one VF on the mark side of the spear, there is nothing on the reverse side.

Funny you mention that r8shell because Goins notes the VF in a circle as being "on the reverse side of the tang"... but I see mine and Stuart's both have one on the mark side. The only mark my jack has is that one VF on the mark side of the spear, there is nothing on the reverse side.
That was my understanding from reading Goins too, but it often doesn't list every variation in markings. Also, I often wish there were more pictures. o_O The VF on mine has thinner looking lines, but I believe my knife has been "cleaned" so it might just be worn down.

I just looked at mine and it has VF in circle on both blades: pile side on spear main and mark side on pen secondary. VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY CO. NEWARK, N.J. U.S.A. (curved) is stamped on mark side tang of main.
- Stuart

I'd call it "amazing" :):thumbsup:

Stuart - that’s a beautiful Knife you have there, in fact you have shown us some real treasures lately my friend.

Thanks, guys, but I truly owe it all, knives and the hard work of finding the knives, to my late stepfather. For me, it's just going through boxes and picking something to ID, catalog, photo, and post. Every day is an adventure, though, and an education.
- Stuart

Thanks, guys, but I truly owe it all, knives and the hard work of finding the knives, to my late stepfather. For me, it's just going through boxes and picking something to ID, catalog, photo, and post. Every day is an adventure, though, and an education.
- Stuart
In that case... thank you for sharing! You're like our online old knife museum tour :D Great tribute to your stepfather actually, I think he would be honored knowing how much we enjoy seeing the great old knives :)

Back