"Old Knives"

Is it a Barlow,or a Jack ? 4" closed,Rosewood ?
02-23-2008_030358PM.jpg

02-23-2008_030603PM.jpg

02-23-2008_030005PM.jpg

02-23-2008_025719PM.jpg

02-23-2008_025112PM.jpg

02-23-2008_025307PM.jpg

02-23-2008_030732PM.jpg

Look at the condition this one is in

Hard to call it a Barlow. Makes me think "English Jack".
Boy are there ever some beauties turning up here!

I'd call it an English Jack. Great pattern and a wonderful condition. Wish it were mine..

I'm with Waynorth. Pattern is more reminiscent of the English Jack though a tad shorter if I recall correctly.

Vince asked about Blackened Stag. I wonder if these examples originated the term. Empire used to heavily treat/dye stag so it was very black, on some of their knives. Here are two, with an undyed one for comparison. I've seen several Empires with the same handles. It appears to be real stag under magnification, and with the "razor" test. Alas, the bottom knife has a broken blade.
These are likely pre-WWI, but could be earlier or later.
BlackenedStagMark.jpg

BlackenedStagPile.jpg

Looks like I'd better clean the glass on my scanner!

Charlie that half whittler in the middle is real nice

Great looking whittlers Waynorth and Mike. That is unusual Mike. I have not heard of that maker before. Will try do to some research. The Rodgers (jos, wm, unwin &) with which I am familiar are all spelt Rodgers.

What do they call a shield like that on Mikes pearl knife there ?

Vince, I have read that the shield is called "a(n) heraldic shield" vs. the "federal shield" which is more usual such as on the Empires.

Wow! This has to be the finest thread on these forums. Hope these are worthy:

An American Knife Co. , Plymouth circa 1849-1875 single spring horn handled senator:
333hbo7.jpg
[/IMG]

A Keen Kutter quill knife, appeared between 1905-1920 in catalogs:
maw5k8.jpg
[/IMG]

An early Schrade Cut. Co. sleeveboard:
2s67giq.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Eric,Definitely worthy & thanks for adding.It is getting to be quite a thread!
Thanks to all of you,
-Vince

Eric, those are great additions to this thread. I also really like the quill knife.

S-K, Levine's Guide says Henry Rogers, Sons & Co. was in business from 1880 to 1950s. I probably thought I was buying a knife by the more famous Rodgers firm when I got that one. Levine told me at the time that he had only seen one other Rogers knife.

Awesome "blunder" score Mike!
Thanks for showing it,too,
-Vince

I wonder if Roy Rogers carried a "Bullet"? I guess you'd have to be old enough to "get" that. ;)

Mike,another one! That is so cool!

Eric, those are great additions to this thread. I also really like the quill knife.

S-K, Levine's Guide says Henry Rogers, Sons & Co. was in business from 1880 to 1950s. I probably thought I was buying a knife by the more famous Rodgers firm when I got that one. Levine told me at the time that he had only seen one other Rogers knife.

Great knives everyone... I am really enjoying the thread. Eric those are very worthy old knives. i really like the bone on the older knives.

Thanks very much for the information on Henry Rogers Mike. It is much more unusual than Rodgers.

Back