"Old Knives"

Great news Augie - fingers crossed.
Mine - well - that’s another story I won’t bother this Thread with lol, but it’s big.

I’m going to take some more photos of some more knives of late.
I bought some nice Henckels the other day which - when they arrive ( which will be some time yet ) I will post them up.

Had the pleasure of dealing with our friend Roland with the Henckels. :) :thumbsup:

It's BIG??? why yes it is;) ok, all joking aside, it's a big event my friend and all here will have you in mind...that said, it's your news to break Matey:thumbsup:

Your package from Roland arrived today, VERY NICE:thumbsup:

John, glad you rec'd a better diagnosis then first thought, heal up buddy:thumbsup: Like Duncan said, you always post such great knives, now heal up and hit the rendezvous:cool::)

Last edited:
Good guy, he's been selling some nice knives.

Was able to hobble around enough to take a few pics, love large ebony jacks, this Holley has full blades, the swedge on the clip main almost goes tip to tang.

View attachment 1148954 View attachment 1148956 View attachment 1148957 View attachment 1148959

It's BIG??? why yes it is;) ok, all joking aside, it's a big event my friend and all here will have you in mind...that said, it's your news to break Matey:thumbsup:

John, glad you rec'd a better diagnosis then first thought, heal up buddy:thumbsup: Like Duncan said, you always post such great knives, now heal up and hit the rendezvous:cool::)

Wow ( in Robins voice to Batman ) Holy Holley Batman!!!

Augie that Holley is such a smart looking Knife my friend, like you say the Swage work goes right down to the Tang- there is MUCH to like about this Knife!

Hey Paul my friend, that would be the second from Roland? I hate to say this but there is a third package coming from him lol I bought a very nice large Henckels Folding Hunter from Roland- a nice early one! If ever I was to collect a Solingen Brand it would be Carl Schlieper or Henckels - and the slow way I am going its Henckels that has been starting to grow in numbers - slowly.
I had to turn down an extremely nice Henckels knife some time ago - I think one day I will regret this, but so thankful for the approach.

Oh my!!! The Challenge is...to stop staring at that Knife Herder Sir- What a spectacular example - I love it- That Bone is just fantastic! The Jig work comes as no surprise from Challenge - everything from that era is outstanding from Challenge, the prof being before our eyes right now!

Double Rats Tailed Bolsters!!:eek: :thumbsup: I love the little things like the Long Pull running out onto the Swage!

Thank you Campbellclanman.
I was admiring and giving some thought to your very nice Wilbert pruner model. While I am fairly hesitant to dispute anything that waynorth might suggest knife-wise, I might offer that your pruner was more likely made by Empire than Napanoch for a simple time frame reason. Wilbert was of course a brand of Sears and Roebuck and was offered from approximately 1908 to 1925. Your exact pruner model is seen in catalogs from 1912 through 1925 in the same style throughout those years. The (first) Napanoch Knife Co. existed from around 1900 to 1919 and did not operate again until 1931. So, simple math would show that Napanoch could not have offered that pruner after 1919 as a contract knife to Wilbert. Empire offered a very similar pruner as your Wilbert model, but it is certainly possible that some other cutlery company may have made that knife as well.

Last edited:
Augie Augie Nice Holley you have there John, love that swage and the shield! Also good to know you may not need surgery after all!:thumbsup:

H herder What a great knife, I like everything about that Challenge!

herder your research is more thorough than mine could hope to be!! I do most on intuition
(must find more proof!!)!

This knife does not come anywhere near the class of other knives being shown here as of late!
I bought this knife that was in with 4 knife lot, the other 3 were absolute junk- but from the very very poor seller photos I could see some nice old Bone - for the price of the buy now for the lot it was worth the closer look at under $40 NZ, so to you guys and Gals in the States slightly less than $20...

So I opened the packet upon it's arrival, immediately threw the other three away, and picked up this - what I can only describe as a Tank!
I knew when looking at it - it was most probably a Sheffield Knife, the Jigging pattern is from that era of early 20th Century Sheffield- and I kinda like this Jigged Bone- its a Worm Grooved jigging that is really interesting to look at!

I love the intermittent pattern in the still yet flowing worm groove, not the most out there in captive Colour as a Stag or Burnt Stag but in its own way quite intriguing Bone Handle material.

The snap on this knife is outrageous and sports absolutely no Blade play - this Lovely 100 year old Knife commands respect from me because this Knife has been used- but not abused and just look at it- this will do another Century of use!

Another thing I love about these old Knives is the iron pins that have been hammered in by Hand - slowly over the long, long years ebbing out a rust stain through the surrounding Bone.

Lets come back to present time and The thing I really love about Jack Blacks workings with A Wrights is still the use of the fantastic Kicks used by the early Sheffield's - The good Ol' Stovepipe Kick - so lets go back in time again and ...this Knife - this knife obviously has the Stovepipe Kick!

In my office I couldn't quite see if these gorgeous old Iron Rat's Tailed Bolsters were Integral with the Liners - nor could I make out the very very few markings left of a Stamping!

Once I got home out came the Loupe - and I then used a Brass coin to slowly work the Tang build away - and there it was CAMBRIDGE & Co ( over ) ENGLAND in the great old Font they used.... I was so so pleased, the Bolsters weren't Integral- as there is a very slight wee join you can see under magnification.
From 1900 to 1920 Cambridge & Co were in existence and apparently a Military Contractor - I am not saying that this knife came under this - who knows- it could well have been - that's not too important as the Knife isn't the Worlds most collectible but these fantastic Early Sheffield's deserve their recognition.

Cian1jr.jpg

9TOwKAM.jpg

3hH6Way.jpg

xnkK4A0.jpg

BmlnrmC.jpg

zNKD617.jpg

dIhYmdW.jpg

Sue and I just got back from an absolutely insanely busy Holiday that took us through 6 different Countries in Europe, then to England- and I got meet our Jack again for a whole day where we got to Walk around beautiful York - the Beautiful History and amazing surroundings of York simply did not compare to Jacks company.
Sue and I stopped over Amsterdam for three days - perhaps I should have visited and stayed in their special cafes and just stayed in there for three days so I could leave my body for a while to get over the amount of Travel lol.......

Anyway... Sue and I didn't muck around - any spare time- we got the tube into whatever City were were visiting and walked and walked and saw and saw some great things....one of these was a Military Shop...in my mind all I heard was STOP STOP STOP !
As the doorbell rang in the Dark Shop that had LOTS of Solingen Bowies and folders - I kind of knew this was a good walk :), It was the the first City we had started our holiday - that was in Frankfurt.

I talked with the guys for quite a while and they were all packing 9mm Glocks either on their Hips or in a Holster tucked behind their backs ( remember I live in NZ ) - but the guys were great and I sort of hit it off with them as they were really interesting to talk to ...so heres me digging around - but the shop didnt really have anything old- apart from Bayonets, until I saw this in the Cabinet...the same STOP, STOP STOPPPPP!!!! was screaming at me :rolleyes:
After i got the Knife I was a bit disappointed that it sported a bit of Blade play in the Main- but not enough to hand it back- I hate - absolutely hate blade play...so I gave them a hard time about trying to rip off this poor little Kiwi guy- they loved a bit of banter going down...
Back at the Hotel I took a photo of the Tang Stamp as it was extremely difficult to try and determine the Stampings- they were there but hard to see with the naked eye...blowing up the photo on my Phone I was stoked to find that this is a Anton Wingen Jr. ( No Othello stamp mark ), note the different Shotgun Shell Extractor Gauge sizes, 12 and 16 Gauge!

All the blades lock up very strong, The Saw Blade is a double toothed type and is to handled carefully that's for sure...
A. W make very very good knives, so here is another German Hunter to my Folding Hunter collection and one that you don't come across all that often.....

I love the Subtle Stag, its real nice!......

0pZTbBW.jpg

TIrb3eF.jpg

WjMDMee.jpg

7dNm6ed.jpg

Duncan, that Cambridge is such a perfect example of an excellently crafted, simple working knife. Love it!
one of these was a Military Shop...in my mind all I heard was STOP STOP STOP !

but the shop didnt really have anything old- apart from Bayonets, until I saw this in the Cabinet...the same STOP, STOP STOPPPPP!!!! was screaming at me :rolleyes:
:cool::thumbsup: It's hard to explain to non-knife-nuts how sometimes an old knife calls out to you to stop and find him.

It's BIG??? why yes it is;) ok, all joking aside, it's a big operation my friend and all here will have you in their thoughts and prayers...that said, it's your news to break Matey:thumbsup:

Thanks Paul, as
This knife does not come anywhere near the class of other knives being shown here as of late!
I bought this knife that was in with 4 knife lot, the other 3 were absolute junk- but from the very very poor seller photos I could see some nice old Bone - for the price of the buy now for the lot it was worth the closer look at under $40 NZ, so to you guys and Gals in the States slightly less than $20...

So I opened the packet upon it's arrival, immediately threw the other three away, and picked up this - what I can only describe as a Tank!
I knew when looking at it - it was most probably a Sheffield Knife, the Jigging pattern is from that era of early 20th Century Sheffield- and I kinda like this Jigged Bone- its a Worm Grooved jigging that is really interesting to look at!

I love the intermittent pattern in the still yet flowing worm groove, not the most out there in captive Colour as a Stag or Burnt Stag but in its own way quite intriguing Bone Handle material.

The snap on this knife is outrageous and sports absolutely no Blade play - this Lovely 100 year old Knife commands respect from me because this Knife has been used- but not abused and just look at it- this will do another Century of use!

Another thing I love about these old Knives is the iron pins that have been hammered in by Hand - slowly over the long, long years ebbing out a rust stain through the surrounding Bone.

Lets come back to present time and The thing I really love about Jack Blacks workings with A Wrights is still the use of the fantastic Kicks used by the early Sheffield's - The good Ol' Stovepipe Kick - so lets go back in time again and ...this Knife - this knife obviously has the Stovepipe Kick!

In my office I couldn't quite see if these gorgeous old Iron Rat's Tailed Bolsters were Integral with the Liners - nor could I make out the very very few markings left of a Stamping!

Once I got home out came the Loupe - and I then used a Brass coin to slowly work the Tang build away - and there it was CAMBRIDGE & Co ( over ) ENGLAND in the great old Font they used.... I was so so pleased, the Bolsters weren't Integral- as there is a very slight wee join you can see under magnification.
From 1900 to 1920 Cambridge & Co were in existence and apparently a Military Contractor - I am not saying that this knife came under this - who knows- it could well have been - that's not too important as the Knife isn't the Worlds most collectible but these fantastic Early Sheffield's deserve their recognition.

Cian1jr.jpg

9TOwKAM.jpg

3hH6Way.jpg

xnkK4A0.jpg

BmlnrmC.jpg

zNKD617.jpg

dIhYmdW.jpg

Duncan, like both the knives you picked up, the Cambridge reminds me quite a bit of the WW1 gift box knives only without the can opener.

IMG_9809.jpg

Herder, R8shell, Augie and Nick.... Thank you for the kind Comments, I think the knives deserve them- Herder my friend That 6 Bladed example is amazing- what gorgeous condition it's in!, is that a Later era Wingen or earlier Sir?

R8shell- yes...those voices eh!

Augie- yes similar and I agree - I have a very early example of the Sheffield with the Can Opener - it's Huge!

Nick - Thank you, the Sheffield is just over 4 & 1/4 inches long closed my friend :thumbsup:

Duncan - Love that Wingen! And the bone jigging on the Cambridge sure looks a lot like the recent Queen carved stag bone and the Case bone stag.

Added a couple old ebony jacks this week, very nice full blade 3 3/8" Schrade Cut Co and a hard to find 3 3/4" Holley, full blades with a great swedge on the main.
Unfortunately won't be able to take good pics of the Holley, have been having knee pain for the last week or so and Weds evening it totally went out, excruciating pain. Will find out today when and what type of surgery, hope I don't miss the Rendezvous.
View attachment 1148550 View attachment 1148551 View attachment 1148552
A good mechanic , such as you my friend , would just Change Out the knee . I did go on and read your other posts and was glad to see that it may not be as bad as you thought . Glad to hear that . It will not be quite the same in Titusville if you can't make it . Nancy & I sure hope to see waynorth waynorth and you and Donna there in August .
I enjoyed seeing your above knives too my friend .
Harry

Back