"Old Knives"

Merry Christmas Mike, Mike and Myron!!
That M-21 is a cool knife!!:cool: A whole history lesson in one folding package!!:D

I do like the older cell, Paul, as I figure if it's lasted 70+ years without gassing, then it probably won't. The only celluloid I've had problems with has been more recent German stuff, from the 1970s and '80s. And when they went, they went quick!
Do you think the match strike pull helps date it at all? I don't recall seeing any mention of that feature in the catalogs.

I do like the older cell, Paul, as I figure if it's lasted 70+ years without gassing, then it probably won't. The only celluloid I've had problems with has been more recent German stuff, from the 1970s and '80s. And when they went, they went quick!
Do you think the match strike pull helps date it at all? I don't recall seeing any mention of that feature in the catalogs.

It may never gas out but celluloid is cantankerous and I would never fully trust it on anything, but it's attraction is worth the risk. I don't know anything about dating it with the match strike.

I have always seen that celluloid called waterfall. No matter what you call it, it is my favorite celluloid, especially the green variety.

Waterfall is more of an ivory like color and is consistent in color. It doesn't have the variation like this one. They had other colors like this golden pearl pattern, such as abalone pearl and smoked pearl.

I have a nice whittler made by this Company that is equal in Quality when comparing to earlier Henckels - in fact just about a duplicate of my other early Henckels Whittlers - the Quality on both are right up there!

Last edited:
I don't have one of waynorth waynorth 's fabulous Jumbo Jacks on the way, but I did find an old Camillus Sword Brand with an oversized banner shield! :D
M0z1gOC.jpg

The main blade is pretty worn down, but I think I can turn it into a good utility knife, like this old Walden:
50KIvpq.jpg

Before pic:
FEL7o5Tm.jpg

That old banner shield is a big part of my decision, Rachel!!
I have a couple around here!

Back