"Old Knives"

I had previously posted this one , but I have noticed a few things about it that I had not seen before . This old knife is made better than I had previously thought . I just wish that it had the Manufacturer's name on it . Shown with a couple of newer Stags to keep it on it's edge .

Spring and Blade Tang ends are Square in Closed and Half/Stop positions .
It has Integral Bolsters . In this photo it looks like one of them is not , but with a magnifying glass it looks solid.
The Spring is Flush with the Liners in all 3 positions .

Harry
Every time I see this one I imagine a master cutler of old looking at that beautiful piece of stag and holding it for something special. Then deciding to build the knife to suit the stag, rather than cutting the stag to fit another knife.

I*XL Black Stag, a nice set in a Wooden Placement, The Stag is so much better in a nice warm Sunlight!

vKvgYvS.jpg

Here is quite an Older Set - its a shame the smaller top Knife was so "Favoured" Not much Blade left, the set is beautifully adorned with Silver Ferrules and Caps and very nice Stag - two variances in Colour- Both Nice, The Large Carver is like Holding a small Pirate Sword :D

4VNE8Z2.jpg

A very Old Russell Duo - I really, really like these...
u0q86dV.jpg

PEUKlf5.jpg

One of my favourites, a great Old Lockwood Bros.Carver, well used - but still commands such attraction....

kImZEa8.jpg

GWbluqq.jpg

This blew my mind when it arrived, the photo's were extremely poor, a whim worked out so so good, I just love the Celtic Silver adornment that highlights Stunning Stag!
Heavily Acid etched Blade "The Eureka Carver", the Steel is equally impressive....

pkDjQDV.jpg

3JZzn9f.jpg

Lathams Stag in this set is shown down by the much Older Stag - even though the Stag on this set is still rather nice- it doesn't have the Bang the real old stuff has by any means ....
ym1kntG.jpg

A couple of smaller Stag items :)
FaAHsTD.jpg

A older Joseph Rodger set, I do like the Stag in this set- it isnt breath taking- but imo darned nice, being a JR set in this condition that has nice Stag I couldn't walk past it....
ZBco89E.jpg

This Giant serving set believe it or not is big! The serving Knife / Fish Slice is as long as the very big Carvers you have seen!, Both The Serving Knife and Serving Fork have absolutely gorgeous Stag, nicely etched ..
nTSpsPV.jpg

This may not look much in the box, a typical Server Knife but the curved Dyed Stag is gorgeous when in the Hand - I love this little Knife!
GMnqIqs.jpg

Thought I would squeeze these in, a set of Old old Wooden Jigged Russell Table Knives, Kinda cool..
uHwtZ1s.jpg

One of my favourites by far this set to me has a Century of existence, I have the silver marks somewhere, for the life of me I cannot remember the Manufacturer - made for a Scottish firm, The Stag makes me go kind of weak at the Knees- Not "popcorny" by any means, but retains the rough marks of times long ago when in a more natural setting :) and a mellow look that only 100 years+ can give!...

aiwUVMA.jpg

Beastly Jigging I admit, but Awesome Styling of this Carving Blade, Heavily etched "El Dorado"
Still holds some kind of charm - so of course I picked 'em up! :rolleyes:
PafdUVM.jpg

Well I can keep going all night so have to stop there- there rest break into individual pieces and old Civil War era'd Table Knives, Carvers that are just post Civil War etc...
Hope I haven't choked up the "Old Knives " Thread with what some may brand as nonsense, if so please let me know and I will delete this post :) :thumbsup:
Because Of Covid I have been waiting for some older knives to arrive, hopefully someday soon they will arrive! Mt North Dakota Post Master was the guardian of them until such time deemed safe to send!
Speaking of...I gifted Paul a great ol Keen Kutter Stag Carver and Fork that has stunning Stag, they must be very early from memory ( no photo I dont think - maybe Paul will one day show us).

Last edited:
I have this Camillus trapper on the way. I think it may be pre war as I don't see it in the 1946 catalog or any after it.
Four line stamp

s-l1600.jpg

Also have this Voos Arrow and a Boker Stockman on the way

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure of the age on this Boker as this is my first and I'm not real knowledgeable on Bokers

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The best part is I got all three for just under $100 :)

Thanks for the kind Comments Gents! :thumbsup:

Another nice lot incoming Steve!, I think those Camillus Sabre Grinds are so nice!
I like those Voos when they turn up ( I have one somewhere- can be darned if I can find it!)
That Boker Stockman looks great- looks Solid as well!! :eek:

Wow, Stagalicious Duncan!

I may have shared this before, but there's more to the story if I did. I got this Aerial at a knife show, last year I think. I remember showing it to someone at the show, and they felt the knife had been re-covered. I wasn't sure, so just tucked it away as a neat knife. Fast forward to tonight, when I was going through my semi-junker pile, and found it's uglier twin. So they're either both re-covers, but I'm thinking both legit...

aerial1.jpg
aerial2.jpg

Thank you guys for the comments, I appreciate the kind comments, Augie- Holy smokes man - thats a real nice Knife- I have a couple of Cammy's with that punch, Camillus also used what seems like a plain punch - but it is simply the exact Spiral Punch-without the actual spirals believe it or not.
Darned thats nice!
That has a Banging Spey Blade too!, Im not saying that Cattle is a BOKER, but Boker did use that Shield also up to mid 50's, and that Cattle has extremely strong similarities to Boker Cattle knives- if you have Neal Punchards Book - now only for pure interest sake check out pages 84 and 86, but of course the punch comes into it - just out of interest did HSB ever contract Boker to making Knives? ( Speaking of Neal, has anyone at all heard from him at all - he seems to have dropped of the Radar a wee bit of late? :()

Glen, what a neat confirmation- because that top Aerial is SUCH a nice Knife! is there any form of Catalogs you can find? That's a real nice Knife my friend! ( Going to mail package this weekend :thumbsup: )

Here are my in use racks of Old Knives, in the Drawer I have the more Modern set thats now Smokin' Sharp- a very nice set gifted to me by Paul!
I love using these old Knives daily...
The Middle larger Carver has gorgeous textured Stag, the Blade sings like in the Movies and is deadly sharp! To the Left a very old Bone Knife by C. Johnson, The 2nd from Left and also far right Knives are 100 year old Auckland Cutlery Knives - hard to come by - proud to have them, do not get wee fingers in the way of big fella on the right - actually any of these as I love spending time on these with the stones.

HObS4yg.jpg

Another rack of oldies, the two big Carvers are American Cutler firms, again- 100 year old knives and as Sharp as a razor!! quite literally! to the degree I don't like Sue using these because they are big Knives and one slip and its real real bad!! next a Bushmans Friend- scalpel like!!!, then an I*XL Bread Knife, an Old Russell Green River and some Sheffields etc, a rather messy rack!

mcswZwL.jpg

I*XL Black Stag, a nice set in a Wooden Placement, The Stag is so much better in a nice warm Sunlight!

vKvgYvS.jpg

Here is quite an Older Set - its a shame the smaller top Knife was so "Favoured" Not much Blade left, the set is beautifully adorned with Silver Ferrules and Caps and very nice Stag - two variances in Colour- Both Nice, The Large Carver is like Holding a small Pirate Sword :D

4VNE8Z2.jpg

A very Old Russell Duo - I really, really like these...
u0q86dV.jpg

PEUKlf5.jpg

One of my favourites, a great Old Lockwood Bros.Carver, well used - but still commands such attraction....

kImZEa8.jpg

GWbluqq.jpg

This blew my mind when it arrived, the photo's were extremely poor, a whim worked out so so good, I just love the Celtic Silver adornment that highlights Stunning Stag!
Heavily Acid etched Blade "The Eureka Carver", the Steel is equally impressive....

pkDjQDV.jpg

3JZzn9f.jpg

Lathams Stag in this set is shown down by the much Older Stag - even though the Stag on this set is still rather nice- it doesn't have the Bang the real old stuff has by any means ....
ym1kntG.jpg

A couple of smaller Stag items :)
FaAHsTD.jpg

A older Joseph Rodger set, I do like the Stag in this set- it isnt breath taking- but imo darned nice, being a JR set in this condition that has nice Stag I couldn't walk past it....
ZBco89E.jpg

This Giant serving set believe it or not is big! The serving Knife / Fish Slice is as long as the very big Carvers you have seen!, Both The Serving Knife and Serving Fork have absolutely gorgeous Stag, nicely etched ..
nTSpsPV.jpg

This may not look much in the box, a typical Server Knife but the curved Dyed Stag is gorgeous when in the Hand - I love this little Knife!
GMnqIqs.jpg

Thought I would squeeze these in, a set of Old old Wooden Jigged Russell Table Knives, Kinda cool..
uHwtZ1s.jpg

One of my favourites by far this set to me has a Century of existence, I have the silver marks somewhere, for the life of me I cannot remember the Manufacturer - made for a Scottish firm, The Stag makes me go kind of weak at the Knees- Not "popcorny" by any means, but retains the rough marks of times long ago when in a more natural setting :) and a mellow look that only 100 years+ can give!...

aiwUVMA.jpg

Beastly Jigging I admit, but Awesome Styling of this Carving Blade, Heavily etched "El Dorado"
Still holds some kind of charm - so of course I picked 'em up! :rolleyes:
PafdUVM.jpg

Well I can keep going all night so have to stop there- there rest break into individual pieces and old Civil War era'd Table Knives, Carvers that are just post Civil War etc...
Hope I haven't choked up the "Old Knives " Thread with what some may brand as nonsense, if so please let me know and I will delete this post :) :thumbsup:
Because Of Covid I have been waiting for some older knives to arrive, hopefully someday soon they will arrive! Mt North Dakota Post Master was the guardian of them until such time deemed safe to send!
Speaking of...I gifted Paul a great ol Keen Kutter Stag Carver and Fork that has stunning Stag, they must be very early from memory ( no photo I dont think - maybe Paul will one day show us).
OUTSTANDING Duncan!!! and true to form Mister Duncan Morgan gifted me a BEAUTIFUL Stag Keen Kutter set that has been exclusively used for Thanksgiving and Christmas duties since I received it. When time allows I will post a picture:thumbsup:

Great racks of knives, Duncan!!:thumbsup:
It's like living in the "Good Old Days" (whatever they were??):D
Nice ones!! Being somewhat lazy, I, long ago, gave most of my Carbon Kitchen Cutlery away in favor of modern stainless - which I now regret!!:(
I envy you your "stone time!!":cool:

Back