"Old Knives"

Damn Augie, I love that stabber jack. Care to disclose that cleaning method? I have a couple knives that could benefit I'm sure.

North Shore, I settled on using 1500 to 2500 grit metal polishing sandpaper and only using light pressure, I wipe it down several times with Balistol and a microfiber cloth as I'm doing it. I was a little nervous at first but so far it has brought out any remaining etch and does not appear to scratch blades. You could not even see the etch on the Northfield before I started on it, I was very surprised to say the least.
A picture of the Northfield before the light cleaning and an old Ulster that was very worn, the remains etch showed up after the cleaning method I'm using, no etch showed before cleaning.

119431170_3486665878031049_5997938671631800356_n (1).jpeg IMG_1236.jpeg IMG_1238.jpeg

North Shore, I settled on using 1500 to 2500 grit metal polishing sandpaper and only using light pressure, I wipe it down several times with Balistol and a microfiber cloth as I'm doing it. I was a little nervous at first but so far it has brought out any remaining etch and does not appear to scratch blades. You could not even see the etch on the Northfield before I started on it, I was very surprised to say the least.
A picture of the Northfield before the light cleaning and an old Ulster that was very worn, the remains etch showed up after the cleaning method I'm using, no etch showed before cleaning.

View attachment 1419356 View attachment 1419357 View attachment 1419358

Here are a couple of knives with faint etches that I'd like to try and improve. Think they're good candidates? I also have a couple Remington Master Craft knives with faint etches. I've always used 0000 steel wool, you think 2500 sandpaper is slightly more aggressive?
krakauer.jpg
00909_3sZVJH3iAIC_1200x900.jpg

Here are a couple of knives with faint etches that I'd like to try and improve. Think they're good candidates? I also have a couple Remington Master Craft knives with faint etches. I've always used 0000 steel wool, you think 2500 sandpaper is slightly more aggressive?
View attachment 1419485
View attachment 1419486

Yes, the 2500 seems to remove that grime without damaging the etch or patina, it will even bring it out some, I wipe it down with , the paper will clog with dirt fast so I continue to wipe the blade. I would try it on a knife you are not concerned with first to get the hang of it.

I have a Stabber Jack that has taken a pause on it's way to me from Canada, the Stabber Jack is a dead Mint Robeson- and quite a unique one at that- so I am rather nervous at this point as I have received other parcels from my friend that were shipped after this particular Parcel.
Please come home to NZ Stabber Jack!

Augie- these Etches- do they have slight depth?
You can buy 3000 to 5000 - ( even finer ) grit wet and dry papers as well- used in the more modern day Refinish ( Car Repairs / Painting) Industry.

I have a Stabber Jack that has taken a pause on it's way to me from Canada, the Stabber Jack is a dead Mint Robeson- and quite a unique one at that- so I am rather nervous at this point as I have received other parcels from my friend that were shipped after this particular Parcel.
Please come home to NZ Stabber Jack!

Augie- these Etches- do they have slight depth?
You can buy 3000 to 5000 - ( even finer ) grit wet and dry papers as well- used in the more modern day Refinish ( Car Repairs / Painting) Industry.

They do Duncan, I would assume acid etch, I would not use my method on an ink etch.

This Northfield is why I love collecting vintage knives, never know what you will find. Bought it last week and when I received it I did a light cleaning, I have a method that removes dirt and grime but does not damage the patina, I have had etches appear that were not there. That was the case with this Northfield, I knew about the light UNXLD etch but what appeared with the light cleaning was a "Northfield Saber Blade" etch, for me it puts this already rare 3 1/2" coke bottle jack way over the top.
This is my first Northfield, have been trying to land one for years but always miss out, it was worth the wait.

View attachment 1418923View attachment 1418924 View attachment 1418926View attachment 1418927

Nice catch! I only have one cokebottle jack but would love to get more.

It's not terribly old, and needs some TLC, but it's my first real peachseed bone Schrade Walden. :)
yVAqi5n.jpg

0uCK0QW.jpg

Thanks Dan - I do too - but as the weeks go by....,:(
R8shell - that’s a very cool Knife - The Bone is Beautifully Coloured - I spent quite some time looking at that Bone in the enlarged Photo’s!

Back