"Old Knives"

Yay! my Robeson Shuredge Stabber came through, Im guessing a few of my friends here knew who I bought this Knife from, The seller who is a great guy was told by a well person to us and to this brand that this knife here is the only one he has seen ( I hope i have this right ) in this Handle Material.
I doesn't look as though the Knife has been used what so ever.

The Pen has the Patent applied for, This Robeson I just fell for upon first sight.
The Handle material isnt a thick heavy Jigged Composite like the "Gum Fuddy" type of the Vintage Days, tapping it - well it seems light but strong as if a Plastic- obviously its a Composite of some sort, you would almost swear it's Bakelite ( although the Knife itself is rather hefty) - so the Handle Material is a wee bit of a mystery to me.

Lovey Grinds- please forgive me, the High Polish is always super reflective and I tried to get photo's with clumsy fingers in the Photos.....
The lighting I had to use included Mirrors that make the Blades look as though someone has cleaned this Knife with a fine Linisher as you see-- this is certainly not the case with this Great Ol' Knife...

XjgKBfO.jpg

Bj8Qre3.jpg

IuEWfij.jpg

ERuswlO.jpg

pMT6Qdz.jpg

I haven't been to this thread in awhile but indeed, as usual, some fantastic old knives posted by all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

I have a few to add but this one was fairly recent as to an addition and as I said elsewhere this knife floats my boat... alot :) .. So a good place to start ;) ..

Northfield Congress Whittler - Ivory - Curved Bar Shield - Nice sheep foot master and 2 secondaries (pen and coping) - 3 & 3/16" closed... Not easy to find congress whittlers never mind a Northfield :cool: ...

uY9Cgcw.jpg

3X2n2ob.jpg

9lZtgk9.jpg

2KApncW.jpg

lnqZU9V.jpg

I've been on a whittler kick - just seemed to evolve - guess it happens ;) ..

Nice Jack, Duncan!! I have a Robeson (somewhere?) with that material on the handle!! Seems nice and stable, unlike some plastics of old!!

Amazing Northfield Congress Whittler longblade!!! Wow!
Thanks Charlie- it does seems very stable - definitely different feel to the bad boy Cells. It just feels very hard- especially to the tap of a fingernail!:confused:

Thanks very much to all for the kind comments :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

One thing I forgot to mention but sure many noticed is that the long pulls on each blade follow through the tang... Those pulls always intrigued me and I have read that in terms of Sheffield Exhibition knives they were not uncommon (I've seen them on many IXLs, a few Rodgers knives and others as just examples) and I have seen them on a few American (mostly CT cutlery made knives that no doubt were primarily employed by Sheffield emigrants at the time - and probably some exist from other cutleries outside CT (maybe MA) but I just have never seen them) - To me the long pulls extended through the tang provide no functional improvement to my knowledge and seem from my reading in the Sheffield Exhibition book that it was a show of cutler skill ... anyway it was just another aspect that was a highlight for me :cool: ... But if anybody has anything to add about long pulls through the tang I would be interested in their perspective :) ...

Cheers - Lee

I've never been able to come up with a definitive reason for nail pulls to extend through the tangs!!?? o_O
Nor why you see them on exhibition knives!!??o_Oo_O
It might just be an arcane cutlery tradition, with the reasoning muddled by inexact history!!??o_O:rolleyes:o_O:D

I've never been able to come up with a definitive reason for nail pulls to extend through the tangs!!?? o_O
Nor why you see them on exhibition knives!!??o_Oo_O
It might just be an arcane cutlery tradition, with the reasoning muddled by inexact history!!??o_O:rolleyes:o_O:D

I agree Charlie - not sure we will know a definitive reason for them but I think I just like the look of them :) :) - and I imagine it was abit more difficult to strike the pull as such in contrast to a nail nick (you can see slight hand struck variation on the pulls in terms of placement even on this knife) - but given all that in Clasussen et al.'s Sheffield Exhibition book (pg 184 o_O) I quote "On the finer knives the nail marks extended through the tangs, as does this one, etc etc" - I guess I was going on this as perhaps a sign of cutler skill and accordingly quality - but like you said who knows :confused: :thumbsup: :)....

Back