1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Old Style Washers - lubrication

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by OLd_gUY, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    My own thought on that is that it's a good equivalent. I haven't done any analysis or testing, but I think that's a little more like the old grease that CRK sold than the newer grease I've gotten from them. If you have the time and inclination, there have been some threads here over the years on good greases other than the CRK-branded variety.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I did/do like the syringe the grease used to come with. Almost finished with the 1st I bought, so it goes a long way.

JNewell and OLd_gUY like this.
  3. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Yeah I think I bought my syringe grease from CRK in 2009 and I still have enough grease for years I'm sure.

JNewell and OLd_gUY like this.
  4. Glock Guy

Glock Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2012
    @JNewell
    Are you saying that the Christo-Lube MCG 111 is better, or just different than they use now?

I've often thought about getting a bigger tube of something like CRK grease (NOT Finish Line, as that stuff is crap), and this would fit the bill. That way I could just leave the grease that comes with the knives sealed and use the big tube of whatever I get.

5. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Not better - the same but with a different name, but back in the day....
    While doing some research, I found out that it is very probable that CRK first used Christo-Lube as a vendor way back when. So, which of their products made today would be closest to that made back in the day? There are 2 with minor differences. One is mcg-111 and the other is mcg-129 (I narrowed it down from comments I found here on BF). I decided on mcg-111 because (if I remember right), the 129 is more resistant to broader temperature extremes, so I figured that CRK would have chosen 111 because it was probably cheaper.
    So, that's what I ordered.
    -> For those who came in late, this is so a high quality fluorinated grease can be obtained in a syringe - for controlled application (preventing the waste of too much being squeezed out of the CRK tube).
    So I go to order it and it is expensive stuff!
    I mean the syringe is $25 plus handling and shipping brings it right at $30.
    But I do it anyway. Mostly because now, I gotta see this stuff up close.
    So, it arrives and I'm expecting a syringe like is used when you get a flu shot, well a little bigger.
    WRONG!! This thing is the size of a medium irrigation syringe, which is about the size of a medium to medium large carrot. I mean this thing is BIG. It will obviously last me the rest of my life and when the knife goes to a grandchild, they will get more than enough grease to last them all of theirs too, with plenty left over. I just checked and it's 2 oz (the CRK tube is 5 grams!)
    Remember, this stuff is used to seal O-rings in scuba equipment so when they apply it, I guess they use a lot more than a dollop.
    So how's it work? Because of the size, the syringe is kina awkward but certainly can apply a controlled amount.
    The knife is smooooth, with emphasis on smooooth. Even though it is my first one, I can tell that it is acting like it's supposed to. You know how that is, you just go "Yeah"-like when you close the bolt on a fine firearm. They all close but with some you just go, "Yeah."
    My knife is definitely smoother than it was when I received it (used. It felt good to me then, but it feels great now. Everything just feels like it is working like it was designed to.
    I haven't put my knife through extended heavy use, just normal everyday stuff, but I have experienced no probs at all and don't expect to.
    If I should, I'll post them here.
    If you want the web site of the company, shoot me a PM.
    So, I hope all this is of help - I gotta go rest my fingers.
    Later,
    OG

RyanRaben, bhyde and Glock Guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.