On Randall knives

Scottyj,
The man simply said return it and your pissed. Sorry dude, I don’t get it.
Why didn’t you simply return it. Being from south Florida I’ve seen the fat man many times at gun shows, never saw him as anymore than a little fat man
Honestly.....I wasn't pissed, more of let down. I wanted a Model 14 ever since I was about 12 years old. I saw one at a gun show, and was able to handle it. It felt like I was handling Excalibur. I never forgot that knife, and vowed one day to own one. I researched the history of the Model 14, and the hand made quality that went into them, and decided to get one. Well........35 years later I finally got around to ordering one, and when it showed up it was a real let down due to the issues I mentioned above. I didn't want to return it....just some answers to my questions. Also I didn't/don't trust that fat Captain in Florida with my return, and that's why I didn't "send it back" like Michael Randall said. I held onto it for a few years, and recently came across a collector that bought Randall's in any condition. He paid what I paid for it, so I let it go.

Honestly.....I wasn't pissed, more of let down. I wanted a Model 14 ever since I was about 12 years old. I saw one at a gun show, and was able to handle it. It felt like I was handling Excalibur. I never forgot that knife, and vowed one day to own one.
You should still scratch that itch. Your experience was not the norm. For me, finally getting stuff you always wanted is what life is all about and why you see so many older guys driving vettes or other sports cars they thought they couldn't afford when they were younger with family obligations.

You should still scratch that itch. Your experience was not the norm. For me, finally getting stuff you always wanted is what life is all about and why you see so many older guys driving vettes or other sports cars they thought they couldn't afford when they were younger with family obligations.
Truthfully....I initially liked the knife, but those issues just turned me off, and the reaction from Michael Randall sealed the deal. If I ever found an old Randall loaded with patina, and history at a local garage sale for a couple bucks I would buy that just for the sake of cleaning it up and making it a user.

S scottyj I do recall the old complaint thread, but you know... just maybe Michael Randall knew something you didn't with regard to "the captain" (like perhaps it was a factory second which many places will not honor warranties if listed as such) when he said send it back. I'd try again myself.

Stuff like Randall's can be found at garage sales. I personally never go to garage sales, so I would never run into such. But it could happen....

S scottyj I do recall the old complaint thread, but you know... just maybe Michael Randall knew something you didn't with regard to "the captain" (like perhaps it was a factory second which many places will not honor warranties if listed as such) when he said send it back. I'd try again myself.

Stuff like Randall's can be found at garage sales. I personally never go to garage sales, so I would never run into such. But it could happen....
I agree, the Randall people are good people. Once I received a knife with poor looking stag and they replaced it. If they built a knife with some high quality modern steel I’d buy it right away. I can’t say the same for some of their dealers (or dealer)..., which I don’t know why they keep.

Here's mine with a recent buy- the Winkler Field Knife. 2 mid-large sized blades with great sheaths, good looking and service driven. I probably wouldn't take either of them if activated and deployed (maybe the field knife) because I'm more of a 4" lighter knife for service kinda guy. For me it would be 1. Swamp Rat Bandicoot 2. Scrap Yard War Dog 3. Winkler Belt Knife...and a couple smaller/lighter back ups.

Anyway- a pic because pictures in a thread are good!

i8GvwXal.jpg

Truthfully....I initially liked the knife, but those issues just turned me off, and the reaction from Michael Randall sealed the deal. If I ever found an old Randall loaded with patina, and history at a local garage sale for a couple bucks I would buy that just for the sake of cleaning it up and making it a user.

Nice pipe dream, finding a Randall for a couple of bucks at a garage sale. Like everyone on this forum wouldn't like to do the same thing.

My One Randall was the larger bowie type. An elderly man in the nursing home I worked at had his affairs handler send me one from his collection when I told him about my grand Alaskan (mis)adventure I was going to go on! He wanted to give stuff away before his relatives looted and pillaged and sold off his collections. Long of the short after using the knife and well...yes many FUN (mis)adventures, caused the local native tribe to have a young teenage boy "hang around." My camp area. (Really to help keep the green horn alive who filled some of their Big Brown and Barren Ground Grizzly tags in self defense. Some one who was only experienced with black bears not their larger more murderous cousins.) Him and the dog he had with him did make my (mis)Adventures in to some fun real Adventures. Well when leaving I saw the one who made it a most pleasurable time, he had a Poko looking piece of steel for a knife that he said his great grand father had that was so sharpened over the decades that it did look like a Poko. So well...dang it felt the right thing to do so I gave him the Randall, and the village the rest of my way over stock of 300 win mag ammo, which was greatly and gladly accepted. When I got home I showed the nice gentleman the use of the knife in action and in even more competent use in action of my literal savior on a few occasions as he used it more proficiently than me. I told my knife benefactor I gave the young man the knife. My benefactor looked at me and smiled and said "Good." with a smile on his face and only asked for the pictures of the knife being used. He died a few weeks later and wanted the pictures buried with him. Well...of course their family's lawyers threatened with legal action to get part of the collection back! I told them to get from some place in Alaska if they wanted it. The elderly gentleman's affairs person said don't sweat it, he told me he gave a way all his collections when I was gone, and when he heard of the circumstances of the knife I gave away, that was one of the happiest things he heard. The old man wanted things to be used and not gathering dust, and being part of the one to give him a happier story of his giving, also made me feel better, about giving away one of the best knives I ever had for a month or so.

It’s real funny until you realize your wife has $800 purses.
Not mine... but at this point I wouldn't care if it made her happy.

It is entirely possible that you might run into a Randall or other custom knife at a garage or estate sale and the family holding the affair may have no idea of the value. Truth is I doubt many would pay close to value in that situation. You go... how much? They say $100 thinking that is a lot because they know it's a nice knife. Few would say... how about if I give you another $200?

My One Randall was the larger bowie type. An elderly man in the nursing home I worked at had his affairs handler send me one from his collection when I told him about my grand Alaskan (mis)adventure I was going to go on! He wanted to give stuff away before his relatives looted and pillaged and sold off his collections. Long of the short after using the knife and well...yes many FUN (mis)adventures, caused the local native tribe to have a young teenage boy "hang around." My camp area. (Really to help keep the green horn alive who filled some of their Big Brown and Barren Ground Grizzly tags in self defense. Some one who was only experienced with black bears not their larger more murderous cousins.) Him and the dog he had with him did make my (mis)Adventures in to some fun real Adventures. Well when leaving I saw the one who made it a most pleasurable time, he had a Poko looking piece of steel for a knife that he said his great grand father had that was so sharpened over the decades that it did look like a Poko. So well...dang it felt the right thing to do so I gave him the Randall, and the village the rest of my way over stock of 300 win mag ammo, which was greatly and gladly accepted. When I got home I showed the nice gentleman the use of the knife in action and in even more competent use in action of my literal savior on a few occasions as he used it more proficiently than me. I told my knife benefactor I gave the young man the knife. My benefactor looked at me and smiled and said "Good." with a smile on his face and only asked for the pictures of the knife being used. He died a few weeks later and wanted the pictures buried with him. Well...of course their family's lawyers threatened with legal action to get part of the collection back! I told them to get from some place in Alaska if they wanted it. The elderly gentleman's affairs person said don't sweat it, he told me he gave a way all his collections when I was gone, and when he heard of the circumstances of the knife I gave away, that was one of the happiest things he heard. The old man wanted things to be used and not gathering dust, and being part of the one to give him a happier story of his giving, also made me feel better, about giving away one of the best knives I ever had for a month or so.
Real nice story. :thumbsup: Did you understand what you actually gave away back then?

Awesome story.
I agree.

I waited 6 months for a mass drop version of a Lambert/Reate Raine knife, similar to the crossroads. It was so NOT worth the wait; no knife is to me,so to wait 5+ years? who knows in 5 years where i will stand or be. The way the world is right now, on that point alone its the last thing im waiting 5 years for...

Please post pictures when you get it. I’m told they are convex, and not silver soldered at the guard. So I’m curious to see what yours is.
The Blackjack 1-7 I owned had a beautiful full convex grind. My first convex but I could get that blade scary sharp. My son has it now and I sharpen it when I visit.--KV

I don’t see the big deal. It’s not like I have to go without a knife for the five years. While I’m waiting I have others to enjoy.

Last edited:
Not mine... but at this point I wouldn't care if it made her happy.

It is entirely possible that you might run into a Randall or other custom knife at a garage or estate sale and the family holding the affair may have no idea of the value. Truth is I doubt many would pay close to value in that situation. You go... how much? They say $100 thinking that is a lot because they know it's a nice knife. Few would say... how about if I give you another $200?

Real nice story. :thumbsup: Did you understand what you actually gave away back then?

I agree.

I have paid what I considered fair price/more than asked on garage sale items that I thought were underpriced. I don't want to screw anybody but will take a good deal.--KV

Last edited:
The Blackjack 1-7 I owned had a beautiful full convex grind. My first convex but I could get that blade scary sharp. My son has it now and I sharpen it when I visit.--KV
I like the 1-7 too, but prefer the BJ 125 for using. The 1-7 is in fact one of the knives I might grab if I had to leave home in a hurry to an uncertain future. My brother in law always wants me to bring a knife or three with me so he can work his magic sharpening them. Honestly, I am not that hung up on hair popping sharp. But I let him do his thing because I know he likes to.

I don’t like convex grinds. They are ok at first. Then become too hard to keep sharp over the lifetime of the knife. As the blade gets thicker. I don’t see the advantage only downside. Flat or concave (hollow) grinds for me.

For that reason alone I wouldn’t buy a Blackjack and if the guard is not soldered another reason. I'd rather have a KA-BAR.

I like the 1-7 too, but prefer the BJ 125 for using. The 1-7 is in fact one of the knives I might grab if I had to leave home in a hurry to an uncertain future. My brother in law always wants me to bring a knife or three with me so he can work his magic sharpening them. Honestly, I am not that hung up on hair popping sharp. But I let him do his thing because I know he likes to.
I didn't use the 1-7's much. The Blackjack was comp for losing the Randall. Kinda big for EDC use.:)-- I had this fantasy of hog hunting with dogs and knives. Some real life hog hunting with guns put that ridiculous old man crap to bed quick.--KV

Back