1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

One knife(fixed or folding ,max blade length 14 inches, max handle length 10 inches)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Corey.L, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Corey.L

Corey.L

Jun 9, 2020
    If you were air dropped into a random terrain with random obstacles and make it 20 miles out in 5 days, what knife, fitting the aforementioned parameters, would you chose, you would only have this and your clothes , but everything you need to survive can be found in the forest.

I would chose a big chris custom knife sports chopper, so i could cut down trees and possible zambies.

Corey

2. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Probably one of those leather handled beauties from @wajgy or something very similar. But I’ve always liked those knives, and they seem to be made for hard/survival type use (the bigger ones, that is). Although, I bet an EDC/Hunter size would do darn near as well.

ETA: Those are at the top of the parameters. As far as folding, I’d have a Buck with me for sure :thumbsup:

wajgy likes this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This I suppose.
    [​IMG]

4. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Twenty miles in five days?

I'll take my Dragonfly and try to make it out in two.

5. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    I don’t like the word “random”, I’d want some details. Is there a foot of snow on the ground?...midday is it gonna be 102 degrees?
    If it’s hot I wanna travel light, if it’s gonna be chilly I’ll be more concerned with shelter and fire.

6. Eversion

Eversion Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Probably just a Mora Basic or Companion or similar. Doesn't matter all that much. Capable enough and stupid light. The weight being a key part.

I'd try to traverse those 20 miles in a day; it's absolutely doable if you're not already starving and have some experience running in the sticks. Less time out there is a greater chance of survival. The caveat being you'd need a reliable water source, and to know where you're going.

7. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Carothers HD Field Knife.

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I am now thinking I'd rather just have nothing.
    I would certainly rather have nothing than a big chopper type knife if I can't have an axe.

9. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I'd choose a Carothers Light Chopper. Awesome knife. It would be good for making a fire or building a shelter or whacking through brush.

Corey.L, JJ_Colt45 and jlauffer like this.
  10. Corey.L

Corey.L

Jun 9, 2020
    by random it would be not to extreme, e.g light snow, of medium heavy rain, but not an easy place overall, basically you would die without the proper tool

11. Corey.L

Corey.L

Jun 9, 2020
    when you are dropped in , you are well rested, and your hunger/ thirst is sated

12. Corey.L

Corey.L

Jun 9, 2020
    Also, you are not supposed to know the conditions very well, if you did, it would be a lot easier!

13. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    If I were 24 years old I would be out of there in 10 hours and wouldn't need a knife. :cool:

14. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint DOES Go Chasing Waterfalls Platinum Member

May 10, 2013
    I wouldn't be concerned if the knife I had was the ideal one for every use, I'd just use the knife I had for whatever I needed. I'd say a BK9 and focus on the task at hand.

Corey.L and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  15. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
  16. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    The sizes you ask about are on the hilarious side from my POW. Especially for a folder... it's machete territory. This said, there are lots of cool machetes out there in that range...

17. Mako109

Mako109 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Victorinox Rangergrip or Workchamp.

Retired UPS Driver and DocJD like this.
  18. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Not too extreme but you'd die without the proper tools....I don't think you quite grasp the concept of "extreme"

Lee D likes this.
  19. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    An ax, preferably a Snow & Neally 3/4 Hudsons Bay.

20. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri...

Shelter building, fire wood, personal defense, food acquisition & prep are all in the sweet spot of this 22 oz powerhouse. Plus it looks cool

DocJD likes this.