One-Knife Man

It's horrible to admit that I hardly ever carry a knife with me. Even when I go to work, I seldom carry a knife.

Yes, I have a sliding blade that cuts paper in my office drawer. Now, as a knife lover and a third-rate blade collector, is it a sin to be without at least one knife on my good-self when I venture outside my home?

I hear stories in your forum about people sporting four or five knives in their attire. I know that is normal for a lot of people. However, I sometimes find a knife a bit of an irritant in my pocket. It sort of juts out or protrudes ostentiously at an odd angle.

Occasionally, relatives ask me what am I doing with THAT knife. It's not that my face is on a Wanted Poster but normal folks have strange ideas about sharp blades.

Sometimes I feel as if I have violated a code of the Knife Brotherhood by walking around knifeless.

Of course, when the occasion calls for it, I do lug along a suitable knife in my backpocket.

I was just wondering if it is normal for a knife collector to walk around with a blade most of the time. Am I the only odd one out?

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

I can only speak for myself and rarely am I without a knife on my person. If you find having a knife in your pocket irritating try a belt sheath? I'm amazed that you don't carry a knife everyday, I know I couldn't do that! I feel naked without the weight of a folder in my front right pocket.
smile.gif
I imagine most other knife knuts are the same way.

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

Golok! I am surprised by your admission. I would guess that you are indeed in the minority around here. I always have at least one knife with me. If you find carry uncomfortable, get something small. To actually Not have a knife with me is the near equivalent to going around naked. How can you stand it?

Paracelsus, highly amused

If only as a symbolic act, whenever I go out I do have my keys with me, and on my keyring is a small Victorinox SAK.

Having little enough perhaps to do with knives, except in the technical sense, I feel very uncomfortable without a multitool in a belt pouch, generally my Leatherman Supertool, which is pretty heavy.

I can't remember the last time I went out without a 'tactical' folder also -- Sebenza or Benchmade Emerson or now, a new member of the team: Benchmade Elishewitz Ares.

If I go for a hike in the woods, I generally have a Vaquero Grande in the backpack.

Oh -- La Griffe on a chain!

I can understand not carrying a knife if 1) you really don't have all that many occasions to cut something AND 2) people around you are too wimpy to appreciate good steel!

As someone here put it once " If I leave the house without a knife then I must have forgot to put my pants on" Great line. Who said it here so I can thank them cause I always use that line now.
Bob

Yep, your definitely in the minority around these parts. Though I usually only carry one knife, it is with me at all times. When I hike or camp I will have many more knives with me.

I only carry one knife. I know how you feel about pocket carry. It is uncomfortable, so I just clip my knife to my waist band, a little to the right of my belt buckle. I hardly notice it there. Give that a try it might be more comfortable- I am pretty sure it is a crime not to have a knife with you
wink.gif
Matthew

I always carry one knife (not counting the mini tool on my key chain). It's like an American Express card...Don't leave home without it. It is a very rare event where I choose not to carry. Occasionally, I downgrade from a tactical folder to a smaller gent knife if circumstances dictate.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

The only time I don't carry is when I'm at scool. Thats only because the bastards would expel me for having something that is but is not limited to being a blade attached to a handle as they call it in the student hand book. I call it a knife.
At all other times I have a folder and a multi tool at minimum.
Your allowed to carry knives with you 24/7 and you don't?
eek.gif

Why the hell not
confused.gif

------------------
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I've got the sharpest knife in the room.

I only carried a multi-tool on me for a long time and then realized that 75% of the time I reached for the multi-tool it was to use the knife.Then I started carrying a pocket knife to give the multi-tool a break although I still carry both.If you don't need a knife normally who cares?I like coffee and collect coffee mugs,but I don't leave the house with one of those either
wink.gif

------------------
"Just me and my multi-tools."

Golok: I'm almost never without a knife on my person. Even in a dress suit, there are ways to comfortably carry a knife--sometimes more than one. Try one of the William Henrys--the recent models come with neat leather slip pouches with intregral clips. My SO7 with 2.7" blade is light and slim. You hardly know it's there.
smile.gif

The only time I have no knife is when I have to go into a court room and I surrender my knives at the metal detector. I don't always carry a large tactical but I always have at the minimum, a a couple of keychain knives, my Leatherman Micra, Spyderco Ladybug, and a small SAK plus a Midnite Minichamp and another Ladybug on my other keychain. I really don't even count these knives although I often use them when I am around people who might be troubled by a full sized pocket knife. Here in Southern Illinois there is no formal blade limit, so I use discretion for my carry choices. At work I usually have something small, around the house or outside, I carry a full size tactical.

golok,

The way you lead your life is for you to decide.
smile.gif
But I am never without a knife.

LongRifle ...chuckle...I wish I could still do that.
smile.gif

I also wish that someone would make a multi-tool without a knife blade, and put something else more useful in its place.

Cut it out!

Steve-O

My personal opinion is that everyone should carry a pocketknife.

The thing you have to be careful about is that the knife you carry is legal where you carry it.

If you can only carry one knife, I recommend the follwing (for normally everyday carry):

A small SAK with a cutting blade and scissors. (A good alternative to this is a Leatherman Micra or something similar)

or

A small/medium 3 blade stockman

or

A Boy Scout style utility knife

or

A multiblade SAK

or you could carry them all!

I say, be prepared. Your survival knife is the one you have on you when a survival situation arises.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by golok:
It's horrible to admit that I hardly ever carry a knife with me. Even when I go to work, I seldom carry a knife.

Yes, I have a sliding blade that cuts paper in my office drawer. Now, as a knife lover and a third-rate blade collector, is it a sin to be without at least one knife on my good-self when I venture outside my home?

I hear stories in your forum about people sporting four or five knives in their attire. I know that is normal for a lot of people. However, I sometimes find a knife a bit of an irritant in my pocket. It sort of juts out or protrudes ostentiously at an odd angle.

Occasionally, relatives ask me what am I doing with THAT knife. It's not that my face is on a Wanted Poster but normal folks have strange ideas about sharp blades.

Sometimes I feel as if I have violated a code of the Knife Brotherhood by walking around knifeless.

Of course, when the occasion calls for it, I do lug along a suitable knife in my backpocket.

I was just wondering if it is normal for a knife collector to walk around with a blade most of the time. Am I the only odd one out?

</font>

I'll admit my passion for knives may have waxed and waned over the years, BUT, I have not been without some kind of knife (if only a SAK or a stockman) for at least 30 years. Everyday.

There is many a time I use a knife without even thinking about it. I can't imagine what it would be like to reach for one and not have one.

However, if you don't think you need to carry, then don't.

Dean

P.S. I wear a watch everyday, too.

Gotta have at least one...........
biggrin.gif

Life is good.........

Greg

------------------
Always do right....this will gratify some and astonish the rest.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Strider:
As someone here put it once " If I leave the house without a knife then I must have forgot to put my pants on" Great line. Who said it here so I can thank them cause I always use that line now.
Bob
</font>

Strider: That is, as I understand things, the main reason why neck knives exist.

I've carried a knife every day for over 40 years. Now I usually carry three. Yesterday I reached for the one I carry in my right front pocket and it wasn't there, I still had two others, but it still didn't feel right. I couldn't figure out how or where I lost it. It turns out I just left it at home, what a releif.

Not carry a knife? I don't think so.

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

Almost always with knife. . . the SAK or the Spyderco Cricket, or both.
But in my normal attire. I'd have another knife. . .either Sifu, CS Gunsite or Military.

Not paranoid, but prepared.

Nimrod
Good point. I have a few neck knives but I am not comfortable wearing them. Something about the weight around my neck reminds me of the time the posse caught up with me and.......
Bob

Back