One-Knife Man

Yeah, I usually have something sharp on me. At the very least I have my Leatherman. In addition to that I always have my Perkins Gryfen on my key chain. Plus I usually carry my Gunting. Sometimes I add a Spyderco Military to that, or else switch the Gunting out for the Military. Depends a lot on what I'm wearing. If I anticipate doing some serious cutting (i.e., breaking down a lot of boxes, or going out in the woods where I might suddenly want a walking stick), I carry a moderately sized fixed blade in addition to the above.

I've carried a knife of some sort since I was in elementary school. I got caught with my little stockman style knife in 6th grade (the guy who traded it to me ratted me out!) and was simply told not to bring it back (I did, just didn't pull it out anymore). That was back in the early 80s in semi-rural Tenn.

I don't quite get why people carry multiple folders with them though (maybe a multitool and some sort of good pocketknife). That's their biz though. At camp, I usually have a fixed blade and folder on me at all times.

BTW, I have a friend who always looks at me when he needs a knife and I'm around. That's how ubiquitous "my knife" has become.
I gave him a CRKT Mirage recently. Now I have to convince him to carry it daily.
biggrin.gif

Chris

Golok,

Take it easy. Don't be so hard on yourself.
smile.gif

Just because you collect knives, doesn't mean you have to carry one. I mean, we don't expect stamp collectors to carry stamps on their persons all the time.

This said, I carry at least one knife. However, multiple knives -- especially if you live in the city -- is plain silly as I doubt anyone goes through 3 or 4 knives in a day unless your the knife thrower in your local circus act.

Hopefully, I've helped you clear your conscience and cheered you up...now, put on a knife you sick, weirdo! Gawd, a knife knut who doesn't carry a knife?
wink.gif

As a child, everyone I knew carried a knife. My grandmother taught me how to sharpen a pencil and told me the girls would be grateful for a gentleman to handle such chores. I've taken care of the girls ever since!

Hi Golok. Since I got my first knife (some 8 years ago, or thereabouts), I've always had one with me. It used to be a cheapo Thai-made lockback, then a Swiss Army Knife and now I usually carry either the CRKT Urban Shark or small Sebenza. I'm not much of a fan of pocket clips and I usually wear mine in a sheath on the belt or in a pocket.

I've found that having a one-hand opening blade around all the time is useful. Scored some points with my girlfriend the other day when she bought a sweater and wanted to wear it at the department store itself. Just got out the sebenza, cut the price tag and made her smile in less time than it takes to tell the story.

The only times I'm ever without a knife when I go out is when I'm gonna pass through security (airports, court houses) and don't want to cause a fuss.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

[This message has been edited by redvenom (edited 01-26-2001).]

After getting all those pies on my face, I have resorted to carrying one knife when I go out, regardless of my "bad reputation" among relatives.

Hope you guys are all happy now.

P.S. Nope, I won't be lugging along a golok. Too big and too lethal. If I do, I will make it to tomorrow's newpaper with a mugshot attached.

I think as your penance you should carry 16 knives on you for a least a month 24/7. I think that will acceptable and will make us feel even better.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
firedept_md_wht.gif
"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
----Abraham Lincoln

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think as your penance you should carry 16 knives on you for a least a month 24/7. I think that will acceptable and will make us feel even better. </font>

remster135,

So basically, you want him to wear Dexter Ewing's vest around for a month.
smile.gif

Golock, you'd better invest in a quality back brace!
eek.gif

Later,
Chris

Dam smilies!

[This message has been edited by CPR (edited 01-26-2001).]

There was a time when my knives were strickly for field use. I kept a few with my camping/hunting gear but never carried one unless I specifically expected to use it.

Then my interest in knives grew; and eventually the folks close to me became aware of my interest. Sure enough it wasn't long before somebody needed to cut something, and they turned to me for a knife, and I didn't have one.

I started carrying a knife that day. At first because of friends and family; and, later on because it was good to have such a useful tool on me at all times.

Glad you're "with knife" now Golok! The "stamp collectors don't always carry stamps" argument just doesn't cut it with me. Stamps have no intrinsic value other than to make possible the handling of an item by the post office. Knives are tools whose application domain is frequently encountered in many environments... That is, there's sometimes lots of stuff around that needs cutting!

I don't carry lots of knives, but I usually have at least one small pocket knife (typically clipped to my waistband), and also a small multi-tool like the Micra for its non-knife components. If I'm not in my city clothes, the small pocket knife is usually replaced by a larger brother, and the micra becomes a SAK in a pouch on my belt.

This struck me as kind of funny.
I'm never home during the day to recieve packages so when someone is sending me a knife I usually have them sent to my friend Dalla's store. As a way of saying thanks for Christmass I gave Dallas a SS Spyderco Native, and his Assistant the Spyderco Walker Lt/Wt that I have been carrying for the last two years. Now these guys are constanly opening up cartons, so I thought they would really get some use out of these knives. I even told them not to worry if they ever needed sharpening I would do it for them. I stopped by the store today for lunch, now both of them are carrying these knives every day, but it seems are too afraid to use them. They still go look for a box cutter rather than use the knives in their pockets.
confused.gif

I really don't understand non-knife people.

I collect knives of all kinds, have for the last 30 years. I also wouldn't leave the house without at least one knife on my person. I carry a Spyderco Howard Viele daily at work, and a Spyderco Police at all other times. I find uses for my knifes daily and would feel very underdressed without one. I carry the Police clipped to my front right waistband of my pants. I can hardly tell it there but know where it is at all times. I carry my Viele clipped in my front right pocket. A BM42 also finds a place in my pocket at least 3 days a week.

The ONLY reason I would leave the house without a knife on me is because I woke up at 6am M-F (the time I HAVE to be in my car to make it to work in time) and have to get out of the house as fast as I can and am lucky if I even get my shoes to match. On days like these I will forget almost anything.

Any other time I will ALWAYS have at least two knives on me.

------------------
Keith D.Armacost
If At First You Don't Succeed,
Skydiving Is Not For You.

Even before becoming a "KnifeKnut" I have always carried the small "pink" bone handled Frost knife that my knife collector boss bought me at a knife show years ago. If I don't have a pocket on my dress at work, it's always in my purse. Plus, at home I wear the Cold Steel Ready-Edge around my neck.

Now that I'm an addicted KnifeKnut..... I still carry my first knife in the bottom of my purse, my new Cricket clipped to the inside edge of my purse, a black Ladybug on my keychain.

Then I got me the ArcLite and found it was just a bit too much (and illegal) to wear at work (school district - duh), so at the moment it is in the truck door pocket so that if I am out and about somewhere I can just slip it around my neck. I also bought a WOW 102 and clipped that to the truck door pocket (just in case).

And now I have ordered me 3 more Ladybugs - One in each color (Hey - I need to be color coordinated!). I am going to do a neckknife thing with the black one - black cording with 2-1/2" black tassles on each side to make it look more like an "accessory" rather than just wearing a knife on a chain. I am going to attach it to the cord with one of those quick key release keychains so I can just quickly unhook the knife and use it without having to take the "necklace" off.

Haven't decided about what I will do with the red and blue Ladybugs yet! maybe earrings?

TJ

p.s. The black cording/tassel thing is the same way I wear HHBL's class ring everyday. Well..... HHBL's class ring will have to stay at home once in a while when I wear my Ladybug!
------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

[This message has been edited by Totally Judy (edited 01-28-2001).]

Honestly, Golok, You need to realize the obvious.
wink.gif
...A human bieng and an animal have very few differences, except that we have FIRE and we have TOOLS. Take pride in your human-ness. Express your intelligent preparedness and carry the blade that makes you ready for Real World Operations. I mean, what if some idiot hit your car and flipped you onto your side, your car catches fire and your seat belt won't unbuckle? Will you use your teeth to cut your way out?

I am very sorry, and I am very sympathic to your cause, man. Let me suggest that you try a few other smaller knives, ones that come to mind are the CRKT small urban shark, small Gerber EZ out (Xtremely light) and a small cold steel voyager. Try a small knife with rounded edges. I find these are less noticable than even my keys!!! good luck.

My wife spotted the small knife in a small pouch attached to my belt the other day.

"So you are now carrying a knife wherever you go," she said.
"Yep," I replied. "I have been lectured by my fellow brothers-in-knives from Los Angeles to Arizona that a 'naked knifeman' brings dishonour to the Blade Brotherhood."

What I neglected to tell her was that I have "seen the light" reflected off the sea of blades being waved menacingly in my direction.

OK, I admit I do feel a lot better having a knife (even if it is a small one) on my body somewhere. Somehow, it makes me feel like a "complete guy".

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

[This message has been edited by golok (edited 02-01-2001).]

Except for when I'm at school, or right after, before I can grab one. I can't believe that you wouldn't have one, if you could. But that's your choice.

~jf

------------------
Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Well for me, I will always carry my wallet with me, even to the fish & chips shop 1 block down the road. In it the SpyderCard. My money will be clipped on the Spyderco Cricket. Therefore I won't leave home without at least 2 knives

Irìd Ghibht Dhé Agus An Ban-Rìgh
"Through the Grace of God and the Queen"

Back