One Year Already

Hello friends of the knife community. Bob's daughter Lan here.
First off, my apologies for not posting sooner to keep in touch with you all. I have corresponded with several members via phone texts. Paul Hilborn has continued his wonderful tradition of texting me on Patriots football game days as he and Dad so often did as fans of the NE Patriots.
I have been trying to make this post for almost one month now. Yes, it has been one year since my Dad (BigBiscuit as you all know him) passed. The passing of time does not make our loss any easier by any means. We just learn to adapt and hopefully move on in a way to honor the memory of our dear lost loved ones. I'm sure many here can relate to that. We still miss Dad terribly on a daily basis. Over this past year, it became more and more evident just how much my Dad solidified our family structure. Even during his illness, he was our rock to lean on and offered constant advise and guidance to myself and my son Bo. He even became a loving father figure to my husband when we married six years ago.
This past Thanksgiving was extremely difficult. We had decided as a family to have a place set at the table for Dad to symbolically have him with us. Dinner started out well, but my son Bo really broke down during the meal as we were reminiscing with loving stories of his "Pa". This was the worst I've seen him since Dad passed. He really misses his Pa. We all stayed together until late in the night for comfort. This was partly why I have been struggling writing this and dealing with some of my own depression over the loss.
On a lighter note and the main reason for my update, Bo has done extremely well in his senior year in high school. He has always done very well, but perhaps in some way he used school to shift his focus of our loss. His academics have been over the top good. Bo participated in the early action applications for some colleges he is interested in for next year. Due to that early action process, his very good GPA and some letters of recommendations from several teachers, I am happy to announce he has been accepted to several schools with some scholarship offerings. Bo has decided to attend Northeastern University next year in Boston.
That all leads me to my sincere appreciation and thanks to this wonderful community. Due to the efforts of folks like Paul Hilborn, Ron Presley, Randy Redden, Duncan, Evan Nicolaides and others (I love you guys) for starting a donation fund for Bo's college, many of the wonderful folks of this community made that fund successful. I am happy to inform all that those donations will now be put to their intended purpose.
I can't thank you all enough for the outpouring of love and generosity you have shown our family in remembrance of your friend BigBiscuit. My heart is overfilled with love for all of you and rest assured we truly appreciate it.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :D

Lan,

Thank you for taking the time to update us on Bo and the rest of your family. I lost my dad a couple years ago, and the first holidays without him were the hardest, so I understand what that is like. Sounds like you are all leaning on each other, and pushing through it. Bob would certainly want you to do that. That is great news that Bo is going to Northeastern next year. Sounds like he has a good focus, I'm sure he will do well!

And I do appreciate your posting for us. I think of Bob quite often. I sometimes go back and read some of the last PM's we exchanged, that I haven't had the heart to delete. I also have a few knives of his, one in particular that I modded for him as a gift, with the caveat that he sell it if needed. I ended up finding the new owner online later and bought it back. It will have a place in my collection as long as I am around.

Please know that we are thinking of you, and hope you are all doing well, and that you may post here anytime, you are among friends! (Oh yeah, PATS fan here!)

Take care,
Glenn

Thank you for piping up, Lan! It's real nice to see Bob's avatar today. I thought about him this week. He might not be posting anymore, but he was an integral part of my network of roots on this forum, and that mark left on me hasn't eroded a bit. Glad to hear Bo is rockin' and rollin'. May you and your family be blessed with extra sweetness this season!

- Andrew

I did a double take when I saw the new thread with Bob’s avatar on it lol. Good to hear that Bo has been accepted to a college that he wanted and I hope that your family continues to heal from the loss.

Well, even though Bob was a fan of the Patriots, I won't hold that against him...

He is missed here. I still carry a knife I got from Bob, and plan on passing it down to my own younger son, named Bob!!

Good to hear you and your family are holding up, and are receiving contact and support from the members on here that still consider Bob a friend.

Thanks for the heartfelt update Lan. It often seems like so much energy put into forums/internet activity is disconnected from real life. It's nice to know some real stuff, good stuff, comes out of it once in a while. Great to hear that your son is pressing on and doing well. Take care.

Thanks for the update. I hope Bob has only had "Fair Winds and Following Seas" wherever that ole scoundrel has traveled. I swear - every time I'm looking at knives, he's the one that mysteriously taps the "Add to Cart" button and then giggles faintly as he departs.

Last edited:
It's good to hear from you especially knowing how difficult your loss has been. Bo is obviously a lot tougher than many. The ability to persevere at school is a great sign. Northeastern is a wonderful institution and they should be proud to have him. Here's wishing you a year full of promise. We think of you often.

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts, as we do Bob and your family. I frequently carry a knife from Bob, including hiking yesterday. Congratulations to Bo. Patriots fan here as well, and used get off the MBTA at Northeastern and walk to Fenway Park.

Thank you for sharing, Lan. I joined BladeForums just before Bob died, and so I didn't know him other than to see folks here grieving for him. I have since come to see just how influential his life was in this community, and I can only imagine what an impactful person he was to those he knew beyond the digital confines of Blade Forums. May Bo find himself walking into the great type of man that, from all reports I've seen, his grandfather was.

Peace,
~Joshua

I can understand the difficulty, my wife lost both of her parents within the last 14 months...it's been tough to say the least. My best wishes for you and all the family. Remembrances of a life well lived.

I have only been a part of this forum since May, I never knew BigBiscuit first hand.But in my few months here I've seen "Bob aka BigBiscuit" mentioned by a number of members,always fondly. Usually followed by other members in succeeding posts also expressing how much they miss him. In my research on various knives I've come across I'll delve into older threads, and read posts by BigBiscuit himself. Its obvious he left a deep and lasting impression here. Then there's that nickname "BigBiscuit", just something about it makes me think "I'd like that guy". Then the avatar makes me think "Yeah, like that guy" I'm sorry for your loss, I lost my Mother 16 years ago this week. It shocks me to write that number. Sometimes its still hard, sometimes it still feels so sudden and recent. Even now the right song or something else in the right moment, I'll have to walk away and have a moment alone to pull it together, one more time. The first year is so hard, I'm glad your son is doing well I know how difficult it can be. There are times at first where the loss will be strong, and some may say "remember that time..." And the memory brings on a flood of tears. And you'll be there for each other. But in time the pain of the loss will weaken, and the joy of the remembrance of the life will grow. Then someone will say "Remember that time..." You will laugh and find joy in the memory of the life shared.
Remember the joy of the life lived, it will help cope with the pain of the loss.
David

Lan, thank you so much for the update. Bob is still missed around here, I can assure you, and it's great to hear that Bo is doing so well. Eventually the sadness will pass, but the great memories will continue to linger.

Thank you for thinking of us here Lan. It is hard to believe that Bob has been gone for a whole year. His was always such a happy presence here on the porch. I didn't know him nearly as well as many here, but I do miss him. My best wishes to you and your family.

May his memory be a blessing.

Oh Man
Talk about a pang when I saw Bobs thread! Thank you Lan, talking to Bob he spoke extremely highly of you , Bo and your Husband, Bob really did like him, and he was especially proud of your Boy!
Paul, Ron and Rand and Evan + others were the main drivers of this.
I have a few dear knives that Bob owned-Immediate thoughts always go out to Bob when I handle these with a "Thank you my friend" that I automatically whisper.

Back