Only ONE for self-defense

Rockspyder/ Shootist 16: weld it locked with a torch!
smile.gif
And then contact Mike Sastre at River City. He' s made some with folders deployed for IWB carry.

Actually, there was a recent thread on a Wegner fix blade!! I believe last response was that Sal G. received one from Tim himself...

L8r,
Nakano

[This message has been edited by Nakano 2 (edited 10-07-2000).]

Ferret, sorry for the smartass remark.
I also didn't mean to "steamroll" over anybody's point. I did mention that I would choose my Goddard (I don't own a Civilian) and why.
Yes, I do consider a gun to be better in some respects, and did mention that the ideal would be a gun AND knife.
This is a more serious topic than "what grade gasoline should I put in my car?" or something like that, so I tried to be objective, and a little attitude slipped in.
Sometimes my sincerity is overwhelmed by strong opinions and an unfortunate lack of tact, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I have edited my original response to something more in keeping with the topic, and again apologize for straying off topic and any offense that may have been taken by my reply.

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 10-07-2000).]

Owen. No need to worry about straying. We try to keep relevant to a point, but we're all here to enjoy and learn what "like minds" think.

Bram raised some interesting points. You also raised some interesting points. We all get to think about it.

Personally, I believe that one trained in rapid firearm deployment (combat training as opposed to accuracy) would fair better in the 21 foot range.

At arms length, cops fear that knife may be quicker, hence the switchblade law. especially if that knife is concealed in a closed hand.

Unless one is a Law Enforcement Professional, one is not likely to carry a firearm, so the firearm as an answer to the question is moot.

I've learned a great deal from the comments on this forum. Often from the straying.

IMO, Best defensive Spyderco is not Spyderco's...it's your own brain and awareness (but we agree). Living at the highest awareness level will let you get more out of your life anyway.

By the time that you have to pull out a defensive tool of any kind, you are already in deep sh*t. Awareness and speed are your best friends.

2nd best defensive Spyderco...the sharpest.

etc. I think you can see the point.

I agree that an MBC model offers more, unless possession of same lands you in more trouble than the original threat.

sal

No worries, thanks Owen
biggrin.gif
I wake up cranky at the best of times, nevermind with the 15 hour shift I just finished. I might also have been a tad over excited by my new G10 Civvy and sheath
wink.gif

Greetings from the far east.

Even though Spyderco knives are not the most expensive, they are the most usable and the most carryable of all the hundreds of folders I have played with.

Since they are so usable and carryable, it's more likely that you will have one on you when you need it for some sort of self-defence emergency. That's what is important.

Also with such a large and well thought-out range, you are bound to find one that you will want to carry and use daily. Or you can interchange, but it'll still be a Spyderco.

And for small knives, nothing beats that round hole as an opening device. Bigger knives you can wrist flick open, but they are difficult to carry on a daily basis.

Spyderco's MBC line was made for self-defence, maybe you should look there.

For myself, I have a spyderco in my pocket and a gold rolex on my wrist. In my mind, both have the same quality and usefulness, in their own way.

In my mind the best defensive knife is the one you have with you when the #>@*% goes down. I feel any Spyderco is better than no Spyderco. I know that could be any knife but I only carry Spyderco knives. I have owned every single type and style of production model. In my "pocket" drawer today, I have a serrated Calypso, micarta Horn that I have cusomised to fit my needs, a Delica, and a 60/40 Wegner. I am comfortable anytime I have any Spyderco. If I was telling you guys about somthing that had happened then, I would be telling you my Delica, or Horn did the trick. If I knew trouble was ahead I would not even go there or I would take a gun. With all that said and done, my job sometimes does put me in areas of concern, when I know that is where my day will take me, then I leave the house with my Wegner 60/40.

------------------
Bill
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

[This message has been edited by highrent1 (edited 10-10-2000).]

I think that, to a certain extent, the "best" knife for self-defense would be the one that you're most familiar with and most comfortable with. You can look objectively at specific knife designs and say that one is better suited to combat than another, but people can have very different tastes in what they prefer to actually use. Whatever feels "right" to you is probably going to be the best knife for you, from a practical standpoint.

Hi Spyd people, new member aboard.
as far as I'm concerned Civilian or Military is always big stuff. If you follow the concept that "it's what you conceal that make you stronger" nothing beats a Native: medium size, short but thick blade. No other Spyd is good like this for such a purpose.

Interesting thread and some interesting points of view. So far it seems that I would have to agree with all of them. Hard to find a best tool when the points of view are so varied. All good, just different.

Hi Mario. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal

Civilian - it's in my pocket now.

I modified mine (aluminum handle) to tip up carry - very fast opening out of the pocket with the heavy blade.

Thanks for all input. . .

Though, Steinbeck said "the final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental"
I surely want a good "supplemental" tool. . .

Pick one Spydies that you feel good with it, any one, and know HOW TO use it. . .is best.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back