Ontario's SP series, past and present...

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by PocketKnifeJimmy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

SP-53 Bolo Knife
    (A Gen2 series model)

OVERALL LENGTH
    15.1 in (38.4 cm)
    LOCK TYPE Fixed
    HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
    EDGE TYPE Plain
    COUNTRY OF ORIGIN United States of America
    HANDLE COLOR Black
    BLADE GRIND Flat Bevel/Saber Grind
    BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
    BLADE COLOR Black
    BLADE THICKNESS 0.250 in (0.635 cm)
    BLADE MATERIAL 5160 Carbon Steel
    BLADE LENGTH 10.1 in (25.7 cm)
    HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
    SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
    SHEATH COLOR Black
    SHEATH TYPE MOLLE Compatible

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    chuck4570 and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  2. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    I have noticed, as many of you likely have too, that the the original Gen1 series has not only immensely shrunk in the line's offerings, but that it also has not seen a new addition for quite some time. The same can be said for the Gen2 series... It also having shrunk in offerings, and nothing added in quite some time.
    It would seem that the best years for these two series may be pretty much behind us, and that we can only hope that what is left of these two lines, remain for the foreseeable future. OKC recently came out with an SP Alpha series, but in my opinion, it won't likely spark the interest that the former two SP series did, (again, just my opinion).
    Toooj recently stated that the OKC company has recently been putting a focus on kitchen knives and such, and although I don't believe they are out of the commercial Bushcrafting and Tactical medium/large fixed blade knife/tool game, it certainly looks like it may be diminishing. It will be interesting to see where OKC's aim takes them in the near future. They need to stay alive, and of course whatever direction they take, I hope they remain ahead of the curve enough to keep them going as one of the few old cutlery companies remaining in the USA :)

We would love to see them continue to make these lines we love so much, but I totally understand that they have to keep aiming towards whatever will keep their doors open and their workers busy.
    Survival in business is all in the numbers... Nature of the beast.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Yonose likes this.
  3. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

The SPEC PLUS Alpha Series includes the new SP-A Survival Knife and the SP-A Machete.

The SP-A Survival Knife is an update on OKC’s popular SP-2 Survival Knife. This full-skeleton tang fixed-blade knife is made from high-carbon steel and a new ergonomically molded, thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) grip. The SP-A has an overall length of 10.19-inches (25.88CM) with a 5-inch (12.70CM) blade.The blade has a hardness rating of 57-59HRC and a phosphate coating.

The SP-A Machete is designed as a versatile all-purpose tool and is an updated version of the popular SP-8 Survival Machete. The SP-A Machete has a full-skeleton tang, phosphate-coated, high-carbon steel blade with a full-length flat bevel and a secondary flat bevel. Like the SP-A Survival Knife, it features the new ergonomically molded TPE handle. It measures 12.19-inches (30.96CM) overall length with a 7.00-inch (17.78CM) blade. It holds a 57-59HRC hardness rating.

I am going to guess that the steel used on these two latest knives is the same 1075 that OKC switched to for the SP Gen1 series. If that's the case, they should prove to be pretty tough knives.

As for the SP-A (Alpha) Machete... Although it may follow the SP-8 Survival Machete in profile, it surely does not follow it in it's overall size. I have a hard time considering it a Machete. A knife based on the SP-8 Machete?... Sure! But, the SP-A Machete being classified as an actual machete?... Umm, well, even the SP-8 Machete's size was questionable on that, so this one even more so. Oh well, it's OKC's product, and they have the right to call it whatever they want! So... SP-A "Machete" it is! ;)

There being the original SP series that is sometimes referred to as Gen1, (after the official Gen2 line appeared), I guess the new Alpha series could unofficially be referred to as the SP Gen3 series ;)

4. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

Ontario SPS-21 Navy Mark 1

Discontinued

9 1/2 inches overall with a 440A stainless steel 4 3/4 inch blade.

Tang marked Ontario USA on one side and Spec Plus Mark 1 SPS 21-95 on the other side.

The handle is black kraton polymer.

Stainless pommel.

Black leather/nylon sheath.

Oops, sorry, I had already included this one in :)
    Oh well, here it is again! ;)

5. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

SP-52 (from the Gen2 series)

Very similar to the SP-53, except lighter, due to it being a full flat grind blade, rather than the saber grind done on the SP-53.

Discontinued

OVERALL LENGTH
    15.1 in (38.4 cm)
    LOCK TYPE Fixed
    HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
    EDGE TYPE Plain
    HANDLE COLOR Black
    BLADE GRIND Full Flat Taper
    BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
    BLADE COLOR Black
    BLADE THICKNESS 0.250 in (0.635 cm)
    BLADE LENGTH 10.1 in (25.7 cm)
    HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
    SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
    SHEATH COLOR Black
    SHEATH TYPE MOLLE Compatible, nylon material

chuck4570 likes this.
  6. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    3EEC5BE3-BE23-4452-85B6-42489DF98F02.jpeg

Spec Plus Alpha Combat
    6.25” blade
    11” oal
    .19” thick
    1075 steel

PocketKnifeJimmy likes this.
  7. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

SP-54 (from the Gen2 series)

Discontinued

OVERALL LENGTH 8.5 in (21.6 cm)
    LOCK TYPE Fixed
    HARDNESS 53-55 HRC
    EDGE TYPE Plain
    HANDLE COLOR Black
    BLADE GRIND Flat Bevel w/ Secondary Flat Bevel
    BLADE FINISH Powder Coat
    BLADE COLOR Black
    BLADE THICKNESS 0.165 in (0.419 cm)
    BLADE LENGTH 3.8 in (9.7 cm)
    HANDLE MATERIAL Kraton®
    SHEATH MATERIAL Nylon
    SHEATH COLOR Black
    SHEATH TYPE Belt Loop

GIRLYmann likes this.
  8. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    I see the SP Gen2 line as having brought in higher quality manufacturing processes for the series, and a tougher grade of carbon steel. I also see it as having brought in some more hard use outdoor knives. But, on the other side of things, I also see the Gen2 as having brought mostly blandness in their styling.

On the other hand, the original SP series, (Gen1), brought in all sorts of new uniqueness and style to what were mostly old proven knife/tool designs. In my opinion, it was a very interesting and exciting series.

As for the new Spec Plus (SP) Alpha series... Well, too early to tell, but thus far... Ehh! ;) Hey, it is a forum, and discussions will lead to some opinions ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  9. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    PKJ, just a thanks for all your efforts to gather this information together. So many great knives gone by!

10. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2007
    I want the sp17 !

11. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

SP-47 (from Gen2 series)

Discontinued
    • Folding or Fixed Blade: Fixed, Saber Grind
    • Blade Steel: 5160 High Carbon
    • Handle Material: Kraton
    • Blade Shape: Drop Point
    • Serrated: No
    • Carry Options: Belt Sheath
    • Blade Finish: Black Powder Coat
    • Rockwell Hardness: 53-55 HRC
    • Blade length: 6"
    • Blade Thickness: 0.2"
    • Overall Length: 11"
    • Weight: 11.2 oz
    • Proudly Made in the USA

12. PocketKnifeJimmy

PocketKnifeJimmy

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

SP-X Machete

(Recent model offering)

Black Kraton handle material

15.1" length blade

Satin finished 420hc stainless steel

OKC model # 48332 OKC

This one is a very new model offering, and I am not sure if it has actually hit dealer shelves yet. In any case, it does fall into the Ontario Spec Plus (SP) catagory