OP2W Part Deux . . . What Do You Want To See?

I have been fantasizing about an ASH-1 blade (Full Flat/MIddy/Satin) on a SF handle (old or new style).

And/or a NO blade on an ASH-1 handle.

Best of both worlds depending on which direction you see that.

Call my crazy if you will. You would not be the first.

Team Gemini with a single talon guard/quillon.

Yeah, I know, this is very likely just me. The double is the reason I am not a fan though.

Scrapper 5. Most versatile non chopper. Light to carry. Not to pretty not to use. Versatile blade shape.

Last edited:
Scrapper 5. Most versatile non chopper. Light to carry. Not to pretty to use. Versatile blade shape.

I’ll second that! Definitely. It wouldn’t even need to be INFI to be a great user blade. Have two of them myself, one INFI.

Yes, A TG without double guard might be really cool!

Right on! I got a bite! WooHoo!

If you look around, while the Custom Shop was operating, there were quite a few Rodent 6’s customized to remove the upper guard. I almost asked to have that done on mine. Turns out, the upper guard on the 6 was low enough it didn’t matter.

I have found in using the TG that the upper guard isn’t that bad, either. Because of the way it is shaped, it works fine to have it nestled in the web between thumb and index, still allowing you to use your thumb on the back of the blade.

All that being said, it makes me think about modifying one of my non-INFI TG’s myself to remove the upper guard. So yeah, that would be a good release. Just what I’d need, yet another TG.

This is from the internet. Its HOG Al Sheikhs No-Gemini

IMG_0025.jpg

Just what I’d need, yet another TG

:) I feel ya"!

I have found in using the TG that the upper guard isn’t that bad, either. Because of the way it is shaped, it works fine to have it nestled in the web between thumb and index, still allowing you to use your thumb on the back of the blade.

I have heard this said, and I am sure you are correct, though I have not obtained one to try it on for size. I used to love double guard/quillon knives, but lost that love long ago. I cannot for the life of me figure out the utility. Let's face it, as a rule, you and I do not engage in frequent extended knife fights or duels. As well, should one fine oneself in such an unlikely (and unlucky) scenario, one simply does not "catch" one's opponent's blade on the quillon. Myth.

One only needs one guard/talon (at most!) to prevent hand slippage onto the cutting edge under hard, wet use, so the other is superfluous.

Given that, I cannot justify having to find a method of use to get around the unnecessary (for me, for me) design element. Lots of great Busses without a double talon guard from which to choose.

But I am not criticizing anyone's choice. And for a "double," it is a fine, fine design and execution.

Interesting point about the CS. I really would consider such an order. As just indicated, I think the design is fantastic aside from that one (for me, fatal) element. I, too, think hard about my grinder when contemplating the TG :thumbsup::rolleyes:. Not like I am a stranger to home modding!

Jerry Busse Jerry Busse

BOSS HG-55, released 2009... we are overdue for an Anniversary on this one BOSS! There's still time before the year is up!

https://web.archive.org/web/20090524054709/http://www.bussecombat.com/knives/index.shtml

I had a Military Overrun HG-55 probably about 6 years ago now, it was probably my third Busse/Kin knife I acquired (first was Military Overrun 511 and second was Custom Shop Tan Camo RMD w/ Full Length Swedge.

I miss this knife tremendously, having traded it to a dear friend shortly after receiving it (what was I thinking?). I remember loving the handle texturing and guard, which together seemed to work well to keep the knife firmly in hand

These days it seems very difficult to find this model available, which is unfortunate as I feel it is very classic design both highly capable and easily carried. Compact footprint of the knife makes for less real estate carried on belt with other gear.

Would love especially to see something like the Limited Edition with the Convex Grind in Competition Finish or BIG DC. Choilless would be excellent, jimping probably could go away and nobody would miss it, .187-.200" thickness.

Last edited:
That reminds me... How about a Satin Short Butaniku with Black Paper handles?
I would also like to see the butaniku offered.

From what I have read previously, is it accurate that the butaniku has only been available at certain trade shows in the past and from the (backlogged and not currently accepting new orders) custom shop?

Back