Opinel mods

Just wanted to concentrate those photos of Opinel mods (because I love Opinels) for next modders to get some inspiration from pics here. So I start with mine

dsc06848m.jpg

Just sanded down the edges on the handle, dyed it brown ( I was trying to go for sort of used effect and I guess it worked) and used 2 coats of boiled linseed oil, just to give it a little more shine

i really need to pick up one of the opinels to see what it's all about, and for the price i'll prolly ought to pick up a few different sizes.

thanks
sam

Great minds think alike when it comes to handle. This is my user #8. I made 3 mdofications: 2 on blade and one handle:

DSCF6801.jpg

1) I modified blade into drop ppoint. IMHO it works better for my needs.
2) I modfied the end of blade where kick is in slippies. The regular square felt nasty in my hands, so I angled it
3) I modified the handle, making itm ore round and comfortable to use.

+ I've sunken knife few times in oil to make wood more resistant to the water but that's not real modification I would count.

Future plans: Sanding down entire handle lightly, removing old coatings fully and perhaps dying the wood.

I have a few Opinels in my collection. May have to mod one a little just for fun. Nice link, thanks.
Paul

I've sanded & stained a few Opies.
Mimicing Case a bit I refer to them as Wj 'pocket wore' Opinels.
EDC#1 is No.6 carbon 'PW'
Opie6cRhsOp180.jpg

No.6 'PW' Walnut
Opi6WalnRvO.jpg

No.7 carbone 'PW'
No7Opn180.jpg

No.6 Olivewood 'PW'
PWOlivewd02C.jpg

Not sure if it's general knowledge yet, but for those wanting more wood to work with
Opinel does offer some with larger unfinished handles, it's called the ebauche line.
I haven't tried them myself.
No-8-Opinel-ebauche-raw-cherrywood-carbon-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Berzerker. Totally going to do some whittlin' on my old #8. :thumbup:

I was thinking about putting a drop point on that baby but I really like the the clip point better aesthetically and since its so thin its really sharp as scalpel. But Its still a work in progress (and I think all opis should be) because I was thinking forcing some wicked patina pattern on it or maybe just a little dip in vinegar so it gets that acquired patina look like it has been used for long time (I want to make it age really fast :D )

This is making want to buy Opinals just so i can play modding them.Man,This place is wicked on my meager pocketbook.:D At least they are pretty cheap.:thumbup:

I can't find the link but I saw photos of a modified Opinel that accomodated both an Opinel blade and saw. The blades were on the same side and used the same viro bloc. If I recall correctly, the handle was custom made on a lathe but it actually looked like an Opinel handle.

No mods yet but here's a photo of a few of my Opinels:
opinels.jpg

Always wanted to do the Wharncliffe mod on one. And my dad just so happened to snap the tip off of his #6 that I gave him while working. And got it nice and rusty by cutting sod and not wiping the mud off.

I have no idea what happened, though. I told him to set it aside so I could clean it up, but haven't seen it since.

I get a lot of use from these, the pics and the knives. They both started out as #12's.

This is a No. 8 on which I re-shaped the handle and blade, and added a sideways lanyard and an EZ open notch. I haven't stained or finished the handle yet, because I'm not exactly happy with the handle shape yet. I had almost forgotten about it until I saw this thread.
p2070024w.jpg

opi8.png

Here's my NO9.
dscf0221.jpg

At first I modified the blade to a spear point and added a lanyard hole. Later I shortened the handle which got rid of the hole and added the EO notch so the blade can be pinched open. The wharnie mod looks very cool. I may have to pick up one of the bigger ones and do it myself.

Wharnie mods are fairly easy. The result is also a great first knife for a child.

I made one from a #10, when my son said he wanted to learn to whittle (he was 7, at the time). I laid the open blade on a wet rag, and used a cutting wheel (going through the blade a little bit at a time). The rag and pace of cutting kept the blade cool. Then I added a new nail-nick with a small diameter grinding wheel, and an easy-open notch with a wood rasp.

Well, you guys got to me again. After reading this thread, I got out a spare Opinel #7 and did a few mods.

I made it a sheep's foot blade and cut down the handle, along with adding an EZ open notch. I added a finger groove on the side and a lanyard for my pinkie to get a little extra traction on this small knife. I've been playing around with etching, and attempted to etch a horseshoe on the back, but it turned out really bad. I also added a sterling silver die to the lanyard for looks. Well either that or a plastic die from a Mardi Gras necklace.

It may look pretty crappy, but I bet I won't be able to get it out of my pocket for a week! There's just something fun about mangling a knife.
attachment.php

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,686
  • downsize_3.jpg
    downsize_3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 422
Back