Opinions on Trident folder

I've been reading a lot about the Vulcan recently but nobody seems to be talking about the Trident folder. The only reason I'm asking is I'm interested in it but can't seem to find any opinions on it. It looks decent and will add to my collection. I'm torn between the tanto point and the bowie (striped) and would appreciate any feedback on this folder. Thanks in advance.

The Vulcan is an awsome knife and I would actually refer you to the Vulcan a lot more than the SOG Trident folder. I own both and I have to say that the Trident is a nice knife, but the blade is really thin and makes it only good for slashing. I wouldn't take it camping unless it was for fishing or cutting rope. Not the best knife for tough applications. It has the arc-actuator lock, NOT the Arc-Lock, the arc-actuator lock is very nice but is only tested out at about 32~38 pounds of pressure (I talked with the SOG engineer and that is how I know). The blade, being so thin, would probably veer you away from stabbing stuff anyways. Don't get me wrong, I like the knife a lot, it's just not exactly what I was looking for in a knife for what I do. It has excellent ergonomics and the spring assisted opening is very nice. The side view of the Trident folder is awsome. I would recommend the Bowie version and not the tanto. If you want a tanto knife, go for one with the Arc-Lock. I don't belive that the Trident folder would be able to withstand hard puncturing applications, which would defeat the purpose of having a tanto blade in the first place.

The Vulcan on the other hand, is my new favorite knife. I've had it for about a month and a half and it has withstood everything that I have put it to. I am usually one of those people that sharpens my knives after every other use, but I've actually only sharpened this thing once and that was because I got the urge to sharpen it. It is still razor sharp and cuts great! It is thick for a folding knife (.16") and has the Arc-Lock which can withstand over 1000 pounds of pressure at the lock. This knife is like having a fixed blade that folds! I would highly recommend this knife as it is very good for the money. Hope this helps, J.

I have a Trident TF1, and all in all, there are better knives out there for the same $$. Mine has some excessive blade wobble, and if I tighten the pivot enough to remove the wobble, the AO won't work. It does have a very nice blade shape, and the handle is acceptable. The finish is acceptable, and the knife does look good. However, at that price, a knife should do much more than merely look good. This is/was my last SOG folder. I do own a Seal Pup and a Seal Pup Elite fixed blades, and they are a very good product for the $$$. On these, I'd suggest staying away from the Kydex sheath, and opt for the nylon.

Again, for the same $$, I'd go with something along the lines of the Kershaw Cyclone.

Wow, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into the both the Vulcan and the Cyclone. I guess I know why the Trident wasn't mentioned as much as the Vulcan.

people either love it, or hate it. I like mine because it's light, the groove works fairly well (the safety of not having to open the knife is worth it) the blade is pretty thin, but it makes a good slicer. I don't use it for really heavy work, as thats not what its for, I have a fixed blade for that. and unlike some AO's you really have to work at getting the blade started, i've never had mine deploy by accident.

Reading back on my reply I really dogged the trident, oops. It is a nice knife overall, but of course it is not meant for heavy work. I can get a razor edge on the thing everytime I sharpen it. The groove does come in handy when fishing around sheeple. You don't have to deploy the blade to use it. That is my favorite factor of the knife which is also the big seller of the trident. I would still recommend a different knife for the money. Perhaps the SOG Vulcan or (not to cross over to another knife brand but...) a benchmade griptilian. Those are msrp'd at 100 bucks, but you can find one around ~80 dollars. The same price that you'll find the trident, but the griptilian will be made of 154cm steel and will have the axis lock which can also withstand over 1000 pounds of pressure. Same money, better knife. But, and that is a big BUT, I would stick with the SOG Vulcan for only 20 more dollars because it is a lot better than the griptilian.

If you do look for the griptilian here is the link:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=551

Here is the link for the Vulcan:

http://sogknives.com/store/VL-01.html

And here is a kershaw speed bump which is also $100 msrp.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=31

As I said, I'm impressed with my SOG fixed blades. Not to start a brand war, but the Kershaw Cyclone or Mini Cyclone can be found on the evilbay for around $ 40...AO, AO on/off feature, 13C26 steel, and tip up/down option. About half the price of the TF, and at least 5 times the knife...I now own 6 of them: 2 Mini Cyclones in Ti/ZDP, and a pair of full sized and mini satin PE's and black PE's. After Christmas, I plan on adding the serrated ones to match. The full sized Cyclone is a fairly large knife, but carries well. The Mini's are just about right for me, size-wise. And the Ti/ZDP is incredible, but it's also about $ 150...

http://www.kershawknives.com/search...r&search_value=1&current_page=5&current_set=1

not to highjack but have the kershaws tuned down the AO? when I looked at them several years ago they opened way too easy, as in a stiff bump would spring the blade. since my trident is my only AO and i havn't played with a kershaw in a while, I don't have much to compare to.

The cyclones look nice enough, but the speed bump and spec bump has the stud lock which is a lot safer than the liner lock of the cyclone. Plus the stud lock can be engaged and disengaged ambidextrously. The bump family also has the finger flipper which turns into a finger guard once deployed. Good knife for the money.

The cyclones look nice enough, but the speed bump and spec bump has the stud lock which is a lot safer than the liner lock of the cyclone. Plus the stud lock can be engaged and disengaged ambidextrously. The bump family also has the finger flipper which turns into a finger guard once deployed. Good knife for the money.

That's true. But, just for arguments sake :eek: The Arc-lock is also much safer than a liner lock, and it is also ambidextrous. And the Vulcan's flipper also comes down to act as a guard.
So feature wise, the knives are similar. Except the speed bump is kinda cheap, and the Spec bump is way more expensive. I'd say of the 3 knives, and the price range, the Vulcan is the best bet.

That's true. But, just for arguments sake :eek: The Arc-lock is also much safer than a liner lock, and it is also ambidextrous. And the Vulcan's flipper also comes down to act as a guard.
So feature wise, the knives are similar. Except the speed bump is kinda cheap, and the Spec bump is way more expensive. I'd say of the 3 knives, and the price range, the Vulcan is the best bet.

I second this motion for the Vulcan. I love my Vulcan and it is a great knife for every task. I think I ended up rambling on about kershaw because of SPXTrader. I was just comparing the cyclone to the stud locked bump family. I guess I trailed way off the subject:eek:. Back to SOG.....The vulcan is the best knife for the money.

I went and ordered the Vulcan and the Cyclone (couldn't decide, go figure) so it should be interesting. I have a few SOG fixed blades and this will be my first folder from them. If the Vulcan turns out to be as good as you all say, I might rotate it into my EDC lineup.

I own all of the knives mentioned so far. I will say I prefer the vulcan over all of them. The vulcan replaced my ZT 0300 in my EDC rotation it rotates with a Benchmade Mini-Rukus and Spyderco CF/BG-42 military. The trident is in my fishing kit. The Spec-Bump is a hell of a knife but we can not carry assisted openers in my city. The vulcan is the second sog folder I have owned and I am highly impressed.

I would say that the trident greatly resembles a fishing knife (the cutting groove and the blade thin-ness). The trident reminds me of a fillet knife that folds. It's about as thin as one too!

Good job on ordering the Vulcan!:thumbup: I'm sure you will be pleased with it!:D

I have a Trident tanto. I don't find the blade to be thin at all, especially not filet knife thin. I've had no blade play at all. Mine opens very fast and the lock up is excellent. I have no problem recommending this knife to anyone. I don't know if my model is different than the ones you folks have but I seem to be the only one who likes the Trident.
If the Vulcan is much better than the Trident (it may well be, I haven't had a chance to lay hands on a Vulcan) the added cost could be the reason for it.

Are you Crazy?!!! Just kidding. The Vulcan is a very nice knife, and once you lay your hands on it you will see just how thin the blade of the trident really is.

speaking of tridents, now that they have them cryo-treated, I may have to get another one, but plain edge this time. too many new toys, not nearly enough pay cheque

I like my TF-1. It's a cool design, nasty looking, and works well. Great AO action and firm lockup.
It also has a good size to weight ratio.

I don't carry it, or take it very seriously.

For a 3-3/4 inch lightweight folder, I like the Endura.
Particularly the full serrated in ZDP-189.

For a 3-3/4 inch AO, I agree that the Cyclone feels more solid than the Trident.
The Cyclone is a heavier carry, though.

But in any event, if I'm carrying only one knife, it's not going to be an AO.

i had two tridents. they had the tiger stripe blade and the beadblasting that they use to get the stripes made the blades really vulnerable to rust. within two days of being out of the box they both developed rust. didnt even use them or take them out of the house before they did it. i have a flash II with the alum handle and black tini blade and it is awesome. it is older than all of my benchmades and it goes everywhere. best knife i have ever owned. all my other knives stay at home in the drawer.

Reading back on my reply I really dogged the trident, oops. It is a nice knife overall, but of course it is not meant for heavy work. I can get a razor edge on the thing everytime I sharpen it. The groove does come in handy when fishing around sheeple. You don't have to deploy the blade to use it. That is my favorite factor of the knife which is also the big seller of the trident. I would still recommend a different knife for the money. Perhaps the SOG Vulcan or (not to cross over to another knife brand but...) a benchmade griptilian. Those are msrp'd at 100 bucks, but you can find one around ~80 dollars. The same price that you'll find the trident, but the griptilian will be made of 154cm steel and will have the axis lock which can also withstand over 1000 pounds of pressure. Same money, better knife. But, and that is a big BUT, I would stick with the SOG Vulcan for only 20 more dollars because it is a lot better than the griptilian.

If you do look for the griptilian here is the link:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=551

Here is the link for the Vulcan:

http://sogknives.com/store/VL-01.html

And here is a kershaw speed bump which is also $100 msrp.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=31

i also have a griptillian here. its my favorite non assisted knife. i only like the SOG SAT, dont like the feel or closing of any other brands assisted. i liked mine so much i got another one for a friends birthday present.

photo82lu0.jpg

Back