Opinions on Trident folder

Hey nice griptilian, mine is the thumb stud 551 version. It is a great knife. I just re-purchased my flash II. I had traded off the first one that I had, and I have always missed the knife, so I went out and bought it again! Great little knife, and good for almost any task.

Well I myself just finally got my hands on a Trident Tanto folder. Mixed feelings. In most regards it seems like it's essentially an evolved Flash II. The ergonomics are lightyears ahead of the flash in every regard. The shape, longer handle, the Digi-grip all make the knife feel way better in my hand. The arc-actuator feels FAR better than the Flash's release, and the notching on the top of the blade makes closing a lot nicer. Oh, and the pocket clip seems a bit stronger too LOL. At first it seemed like the lock up was really loose, but as I've gotten it broken in I've been able to get the pivot tightened down enough to eliminate excessive play without the SAT binding up. At first it was really loose but tightening the pivot stopped the SAT completely. Now I've gotten it to be a bit tighter than my Flash, and it opens almost as fast. The overall action doesn't seem as smooth, and it "sticks" a bit more. It's harder to open it that first few degrees before the SAT kicks in. Means it takes a bit more effort and isn't as quick to open, but on the plus side, it should eliminate the problem some people have had with the Flash accidentally opening on them. My only real complaints are minor. The groove could extend down a tad more, exposing more of the blade. I think this would make that feature work a bit better, but then I haven't had a chance to test that out much yet. My other gripe is blade choice. I'd like to see the plain edge clip point available in TiNi or tigerstripe. Don't get why only the combo edges and tanto are. As for the blade thickness, I have no issue with that. It's the same as my Flash. And like my Flash, if I'm doing anything with it that might need a thicker blade, I'm not going to be using a folder anyway. I wouldn't really be too concerned with it. Someone said that the weaker lock (not arc-lock) makes a tanto pointless. In a way yes, but I still find it usefull. I myself find myself stabbing into a lot of thick carboard at work. The tanto is a lot better at this than the clip point. I have no worries about the lock. If I'm going to be stabbing into a 2 x 4, again: fixed blade. I'd say it's a toss up between a Trident and the Flash. I find the Trident a LOT more comfy for my hands, and built essentially the same. The groove is a nice little plus as well. It is a good knife. I suppose the price could be about $10 cheaper for what you get, especially since the SAT does seem to work better on the Flash but still, I really do like the knife. Wish the SAT had the same action as my Flash II, but it's close enough and the improved ergonomics offset that quite a bit. For the money you may probably be better off with a Flash II, but honestly, the Trident is a really nice, well made knife in it's own right. I don't think you'd regret getting one. Given a choice, it'd be really hard for me to choose one over the other right now.

And like my Flash, if I'm doing anything with it that might need a thicker blade, I'm not going to be using a folder anyway. I wouldn't really be too concerned with it. Someone said that the weaker lock (not arc-lock) makes a tanto pointless. In a way yes, but I still find it usefull. I myself find myself stabbing into a lot of thick carboard at work. The tanto is a lot better at this than the clip point. I have no worries about the lock. If I'm going to be stabbing into a 2 x 4, again: fixed blade.

I'm the one that said that in the other thread. It was only because I wouldn't recommend using the tanto for what it is supposed to be used for (piercing things) with a weaker lock. The arc-actuator is about 32~36 pounds of pressure before closing, whereas there are stronger locks on the market which would better suit a tanto style blade. I'm sure the arc-actuator beats out liner locks, but when the pressure of stabbing something is put into the equation, it's not that much better. Just my opinion, but based strongly on what I've read on and off of this site, plus my own experience using the trident and flash II.

True. I wouldn't use it for any "heavy" stabbing either. It's a lighter duty knife for sure. I like the tanto for cardboard killing duties because the long straight edge makes it essentially a long razor blade, and like I said the tanto is better for stabbing into boxes. Anything more than that I wouldn't necessarily want to use most any folder anyway. But if the main concern is the tanto blade, then just get it in another blade style as it is a well made knife overall. If I were SOG I think I would have called it the Flash G (G standing for Groove) or something instead of it's own line as it is for all intents and purposes a slight advance on the Flash. They could almost just replace the current Flash line and drop the price down and this knife would make a lot more sense. I find it better overall than the Flash, but I agree it isn't really worth the price increase. It should really just be a part of the Flash line IMO at the same or close to the same price point. As an EDC the Tanto isn't the greatest choice. If I hadn't bought it for a specific purpose (for which it's serving me well so far) I would go with one of the other blade styles, but the knife itself is a good design. Just really wish the SAT took less pressure to engage. It really is a bit excessive how hard you have to push this thing to open it. Makes an already redundant saftey lock totally freakin useless. No way will this thing ever open by mistake.

Back